Charter Destinations in San Juan Islands and Vicinity

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
If you do go to Townsend, do it on both tides. Hit Smith Is at slack. That way you have the ebb coming south and then a flood going into Puget Sd. Opposite on way back. I always hit Smith Is at slack.. Pt. Wilson can have some rough water during tide turns...
Ok. I see what you mean. Tide turning ebb to flood at Smith Island is around noon on 9/5. That should work out for the outbound. :) Thx. Looks like NW shifting to NE “wind” that day as well down Rosario Strait.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Pt. Wilson can have some rough water during tide turns...
Upon turning at Partridge Pt (the SW end of Whidbey Isl) I often stay on the north side of the Traffic Control zone. Then make my turn S towards Pt Townsend Bay. Helps me cross the TC zone at more of a right angle (preferred) and encourages the skirting beyond worst area of the Pt Wilson riptide zone.
Mark makes a good point. The Pt Wilson rip is not an area to take lightly.
Just like the Long Beach area, keep an eye out as the large ships will be traveling at high revs through Admiralty Inlet.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Just like the Long Beach area, keep an eye out as the large ships will be traveling at high revs through Admiralty Inlet.
OK. Thanks. FYI. Bruisers have to slow to 10 kt within 25 n.mi. of the ports of LB and LA. The charter is supposedly Is equipped with the Garmin 800 AIS, send & receive. Maybe I’ll like it!

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
May see you out there. Will be around the islands beginning 9/1 and remain out for a week or so. Hope you enjoy your time out. No specific agenda here other than a rendezvous with Tom Burgess and his new boat somewhere. Also hope to put my new succulent knife to work again. You can reach me on VHF 69 vessel name Belle-Vie or my cell 425/870-6923.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
May see you out there. Will be around the islands beginning 9/1 and remain out for a week or so. Hope you enjoy your time out. No specific agenda here other than a rendezvous with Tom Burgess and his new boat somewhere.Also hope to put my new succulent knife to work again. You can reach me on VHF 69 vessel name Belle-Vie or my cell 425/870-6923.
Very Cool!! We’ll try to hail you or call after Sunday; after we have left Pt Hudson/Townsend, heading back north. Looking forward to it!

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
OK. Thanks. FYI. Bruisers have to slow to 10 kt within 25 n.mi. of the ports of LB and LA. The charter is supposedly Is equipped with the Garmin 800 AIS, send & receive. Maybe I’ll like it!
The big boys other than the tankers will all be in the high teens.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
I’m seeing postings that the daily fog has returned to the islands

Oct 22, 2014
Since it will be September, does It spill over into Fogstember?

The week after Labor Day. Problem kids will not be in School. This may not be the usual free waters as in former years.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Haven’t seen a lot of fog this year. A bit in the Broughtons but none south of there. John I thought all kids were problems, I know I was. Just ask my Mom.

Oct 22, 2014
Good point.
problems,
I dismissed a coma and it can change the intent of the sentence.

I was conjecturing, will boaters who have kids be home after Labor Day or will they be playing hooky and let the kids "remote" school from the boat in the San Juan's.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
I’ll be in the islands half of the weekend and back wed following. Will be interesting to note the difference...

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
We’re lying at anchor in the San Juans this morning, Blind Bay:), so we did not go to Port Townsend:(. Big-ship fog horns (ferries) have been sounding for about the past hour to hour and a half. So, yes; there’s morning fog around if little in here presently, although it might come in. Splendid locale! Small rendezvous with SBO friends tomorrow night (post #27).:biggrin:

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Rendezvous at Blind Bay? I just left there this a.m
Maybe you saw us. Tartan 3400, blue hull; lying SSE a few hundred ft from Blind Island. There was a BIG catamaran west of us this morning. Parks Bay is where we’re anchoring tomorrow night (Monday) with other members.

Last edited: