1/4" Halyard comfortable?

gtg

Sep 12, 2019
Catalina, Hobbie 22, 16 Windycrest
I have 3/8" line installed on my Catalina 22. CatalinaDirect is suggesting 1/4" for both my halyards. Will I regret stepping down to 1/4"; will I notice a difference?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Halyard diameter is one part of the pie, the other is the line material. What type of line are they recommending?

¼" line will be harder to old onto, 5/16" will be easier to handle.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
If you're asking, I'm assuming a casual sailor who sets the sails and doesn't touch the halyards until ready to come in. If that's the case and you use a winch to hoist them, 1/4 will be OK. However might be a bit tough on the hands if you don't use a winch.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I have 3/8" line installed on my Catalina 22. CatalinaDirect is suggesting 1/4" for both my halyards. Will I regret stepping down to 1/4"; will I notice a difference?
Yes, you'll notice a huge difference. Could rven cut your hands. Party of line size is called "hand" which means how comfortable it is to, uhm, handle it, regardless of the material it's made of. Once it gets reallly thin, especially if it needs some oomph to pull on it, it gets tedious using thin line. If you can, got into a store with line, even a hardware store will do, and feel the different sizes, pull hard on them, too. Then decide if that's what YOU want to do. Good luck. I've found, regardless of boat size, and I've had a C22, C25 and our C34, that 3/8" is as small as I'd want to use, anywhere (except for maybe a spinnaker sheet for light air).

• Helpful
Jan 13, 2009
J Boat 92 78 Sandusky
8mm is easy to handle with winches and sheet clutches. We hand jump halyards all the time on our 38.5 hoist main halyard. Use a medium tech line VPC. Our MH is V-100 vectran. 6mm would also work on a C22 without much problem.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
For cruising or day sailing get 5/16 Samson Trophy Braid... it has spun fiber cover that makes it very comfortable in the hand and grippy on the winch drum. If you're more racing oriented, plan to wear gloves all the time, and have the correct size cleats... go with a 1/4" performance line such as Samson MLX3. I'll agree with everyone else that you won't like 1/4" basic polyester line for casual sailing. It's less expensive and it'll fly through the blocks... but it just doesn't feel as comfortable in your hands...... unless as I mentioned... you are into racing and want to save weight.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I find 5/16" is the smallest size line I'm comfortable with handling with any kind of a load and no gloves. I could get by with 1/4" if the load isn't too great. So my vote is you step down to 5/16".
Yes, 1/16" of an inch makes a big difference.

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
Yes

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Remember that the C22 was originally equipped with wire halyards, and the sheeves at the mast top are VERY narrow. I helped a friend re-run new all rope halys this summer and the 5/16 had to be jammed in.

srimes

Jun 9, 2020
Macgregor 26D Brookings
Remember that the C22 was originally equipped with wire halyards, and the sheeves at the mast top are VERY narrow. I helped a friend re-run new all rope halys this summer and the 5/16 had to be jammed in.
In that case you may want to go with single braid dyneema for the wire section, and 3/8 for the part you handle.