Precision 21' - self righting ?

Nov 11, 2019
Hunter 23' Purcell's Cove
Purchased a 98 Precision 21' and having lots of fun but am a little concerned about what might happen if I get heeled over a little too far in a good wind gust. Grandkids just like to hang out in the cabin, so I'm thinking maybe they shouldn't be in there in strong winds. Any comments are greatly appreciated.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
It will round up into the wind assuming you are over canvased, nobody will be happy and people could get hurt being thrown from one side to the other.

I would not sail in sporty conditions first with small kids, and I would already have my main reefed and keep a hand on the travler line.

• Helpful
Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
According to this owner's review the Precision 21 is "self righting" - which means the P-21 should recover from a "knock down". Also, the sail Anarchy thread may be of interest.

• Helpful
Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
so I'm thinking maybe they shouldn't be in there in strong winds.
I would agree with your thinking. If you are sailing in conditions that you think you might go over everyone imho should be in the cockpit where their weight can be used to prevent the capsize, not to mention - how do you get them out of danger if your boat gets pinned down and starts taking water into the cabin or lazerettes etc.

Most boats like yours will self right assuming they aren’t taking on water and/or the wind and wave conditions keep it pinned.

It’s fun to have the young ones out with you especially if they are actively participating.... involve them in handling the helm and sheets, moving around to balance the boat etc :)