Bow Roller on O’Day 30?

Jul 12, 2020
O’day 30 Portland Maine
Has anyone on here installed a bow roller on their O’Day 30 (or any O’Day for that matter)? Between the cleat, forestay and chocks...there isn’t much room, but we’re determined to figure something out. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
While not always, bow rollers should no be impossible to install. It usually needs about 4 inches of space beside your forestay.

Here is an image of my newly installed roller.
IMG_4345.JPG

With only 3 inches at the bow, after removing the old roller.
IMG_3104.JPG IMG_3285.JPG IMG_3287.JPG
and a new bow pulpit ordered, the new design opened up the space to make the roller work.
IMG_4343.JPG

Works great.

Sure it is not an O'Day, but boats of similar size usually can resolve similar problems. Add a picture of your bow in all it's glory and I am confident the sailors here can suggest a solution. Even if it is "I think you need a bigger boat"... :biggrin:

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
My 1983 O'day 30 came with a bow roller. However one of the previous owners installed it by cutting out the space where the forestay strap sits, thus centering everything. I understand why (as previously stated that the area up front is really congested), but this is not a good idea as the anchor then rubs against the forestay turn buckle and can cause other issues.
I need to look at it properly, give it the true sailor stare, think it through and then build my solution. I might end up butting a new one against the old old one, to off center the anchor.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Oh Man Greg! I need that!! My 322 has the bow roller, but without that extension the PO put on yours. If left alone, the CQR rubs on the mooring lines. I need to have those extension pieces made up for mine!
if you need some close up photos of the roller, let me know and I can take some detailed shots for you.

Greg

Jun 1, 2007
O'Day 322 Mt.Sinai
if you need some close up photos of the roller, let me know and I can take some detailed shots for you.

Greg
When you get a chance, sure. No rush. It'll be an after season job.

Thanks, Mickey D

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
Here is the one on my O'day 28, factory installed as far as I know. Not sure who manufactured, but Rudy CIMG0211a.jpgwould know.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
Here is a picture how mine has been centered. It's not good. You can see how I have a temporary fix to avoid the anchor rubbing against my for stay turnbuckle, namely the plastic tube. In order to see it well, I recommend enlarging the picture and zooming in on the area to view.

Attachments

Oct 7, 2008
Oday Oday 35 Chesapeake Bay
I have recently replaced the bow roller on my Oday 35. There is probably more room than on the 30 but I had to cut away some of the port side chock to make it work.