New Boat

Mar 20, 2020
Cal 21 Eagle Creek Reservoir
Hey everybody! I'm ready to get myself a new boat! I have so many questions!!! Here's what I would like to do: 1.Sail and explore with my wife and newborn daughter. 2. Be able to trailer the boat and tow to multiple destinations. 3. Have the ability to do ocean cruises for up to 2 or 3 weeks (this could be negotiable if we end up just doing shorter weekend cruises but at some point I definitely want to have this option). I'm 6'4 so head room is important but not the top of my list. If you have a boat you're selling or if you have recommendations from your personal experience please feel free to input! If you have other clarifying questions I'd be happy to elaborate. Thank you all in advance and I'm really looking forward to your input!! Oh also I live in Indianpolis so if you're near me that's a bonus!!!

-Todd

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
This is a good start, ask questions first, buy later. ;)

When you say "Ocean Cruises" for 2 or 3 weeks, what are you thinking? There is a big difference between a boat that is comfortable doing 30-40 mile day hops along the coast and a boat that can cross oceans for 2-3 weeks, and lots of places in between.

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
So you say you're looking for a trailerable cruiser. Here's a decent article from Sail magazine to get you started. But you'll notice a few things as you look through it:

1. None of these offer 6'4" of headroom. Or anywhere close to that.
2. While some may be ocean capable, I'm not how much fun they'd be on a crossing to, say, Bermuda.
3. Only you know (or maybe you don't) what the minimum WAF has to be (Wife Acceptance Factor). Is a less than private porta potty OK? No showers? No A/C? Minimal running water?

One thought - enjoy a trailerable boat most of the time that has all these compromises. And then on the rare occasion you want a 2-3 week ocean cruise, charter a comfortable and capable boat for that voyage.

Article:

Mar 20, 2020
Great questions! First of all I would probably want to start by doing more island hopping maybe in the virgin islands or something of similar difficulty level. At some point there is no question that I will want to do transpac from cali to hawaii and I know people have done that on relatively small boats but maybe I should be looking for something that is in a different category? Or maybe I can upgrade later on down the road. I see myself first wanted to do trips in the great lakes and be able to drive from destination to destination while I'm not sailing. Then with a few more miles under my belt I'd probably want to take the leap into a longer trip and gradually make less and less stops. Then, finally, I'd want to go for a big ocean voyage. Maybe with my wife and daughter or maybe with another sailing mate I have.

So I guess the next question of being trailerable I think I would like it to be relatively easy to trailer. Doesn't have to be a snap like my current cal 21 but would not want to need a crane either!!!

Mar 20, 2020
So you say you're looking for a trailerable cruiser. Here's a decent article from Sail magazine to get you started. But you'll notice a few things as you look through it:

1. None of these offer 6'4" of headroom. Or anywhere close to that.
2. While some may be ocean capable, I'm not how much fun they'd be on a crossing to, say, Bermuda.
3. Only you know (or maybe you don't) what the minimum WAF has to be (Wife Acceptance Factor). Is a less than private porta potty OK? No showers? No A/C? Minimal running water?

One thought - enjoy a trailerable boat most of the time that has all these compromises. And then on the rare occasion you want a 2-3 week ocean cruise, charter a comfortable and capable boat for that voyage.

Article:

Yes I did read this article and I seem to be finding that it is a rare, if not non-existent, type of boat that has all these things I'm looking for. This is why I'm asking all of you!!! Another list had boats like the newport 27, contessa 26 and the hunter 27 but I have not been able to find any with trailers and they seem to be much more expensive! I'm not totally against the idea of chartering a boat but I would also like to have that pride that says this is my boat. Plus I think the charter option may be pretty expensive if I decide to do multiple journeys! And as far as WAF goes, I know she would prefer more luxurious but would settle for less for sure! Give her A/C a shower and private head and she'd be on cloud 9 but not required!

Mar 20, 2020
How much experience and be more specific
I've been sailing for 3 years and I taught myself through experience and tons of reading. I'd like to be more specific but this is one of those situations where you I don't really know exactly what I want which is part of the problem. There are so many boats out there and I don't know enough to know the perfect criteria for myself. Suggestions at this point are going to help me more than anything because at least I can probably look and tell what I don't want.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Have you looked at this?

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
I think you have too broad of a range of "requirements". It is highly unlikely that you are going to be able to trailer a boat to the coast and the off and do the Transpac, or even sail the family to the BVI's. Multiple different things to take in to consideration there. Something like a First 235 like I have, you could trailer to places but, its not a trailer sailer, it is a trailerable boat. Going somewhere for the weekend would be a lot of work. I think you need to slow it down a bit and really figure out your needs, your wants, and your must haves. The must haves will probably come from the Admiral. Take a step back, take a breath and work it out and work your way up in boats.

Taking a boat from the east coast to the west that can get to the BVI's and then do the Transpac, is going to cost.

Love the Fist 24, maybe step up to the 27.

• Helpful
May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
james wharram catamaran will easily handle all your needs. including the head room. raise a tall tent over the vessel in port and have a nice living space. they sail around the lake, they sail around the world.

send lots of pictures. we like pictures :)

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Great questions! First of all I would probably want to start by doing more island hopping maybe in the virgin islands or something of similar difficulty level. At some point there is no question that I will want to do transpac from cali to hawaii and I know people have done that on relatively small boats but maybe I should be looking for something that is in a different category? Or maybe I can upgrade later on down the road. I see myself first wanted to do trips in the great lakes and be able to drive from destination to destination while I'm not sailing. Then with a few more miles under my belt I'd probably want to take the leap into a longer trip and gradually make less and less stops. Then, finally, I'd want to go for a big ocean voyage. Maybe with my wife and daughter or maybe with another sailing mate I have.
Yes I did read this article and I seem to be finding that it is a rare, if not non-existent, type of boat that has all these things I'm looking for. This is why I'm asking all of you!!! Another list had boats like the newport 27, contessa 26 and the hunter 27 but I have not been able to find any with trailers and they seem to be much more expensive! I'm not totally against the idea of chartering a boat but I would also like to have that pride that says this is my boat. Plus I think the charter option may be pretty expensive if I decide to do multiple journeys! And as far as WAF goes, I know she would prefer more luxurious but would settle for less for sure! Give her A/C a shower and private head and she'd be on cloud 9 but not required!
You're gonna have a hard time trailering a boat to the VI. :biggrin: Actually, sailing in the Virgin Islands is pretty easy sailing. All the navigation is by sight, the waters are relatively protected and while the wind can pipe up around Christmas, the trade winds are very predictable.

Sailing a Transpac is tough and not something that most trailerable boats can safely and comfortably do. Harder than getting to Hawai'i is getting back.

Of the 3 boats listed, the Newport, Contessa, and Hunter, the Contessa is better suited to straying far from land. Tania Aebie sailed one around the world by herself at 18, John Kretschmer sailed one around Cape Horn. Compared to the Newport and Hunter, the Contessa will be stronger, more comfortable and slower.

Practical Sailor just had an article on boat design and there is recent thread her about the article. Worth the read.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Ambitious is what I would say. A trailer-able sail boat able to cruise "Transpac" (I would suggest this is a "BIG OCEAN VOYAGE"), but perhaps in Indiana not so much.. Ok

Virgin Islands. I'd classify the waters as "Big Ocean Waters". Certainly in the wrong conditions you can sink and no one would find you. Most folk consider the Caribbean as Island Hopping. Yet there are BIG OCEAN WATERS between the islands. And they can gobble up a trailer-able sail boat if the captain misses a weather briefing. (Consider the speed that TS Isaias became a Hurricane moving out of the Atlantic into the Eastern Caribbean up to Puerto Rico this past week. )
1596484331829.png

Now examine the "Virgin Islands"
1596484407761.png

I know I would not want to have been in a trailer-able sail boat with this surprise happening.

Living conditions on a sail boat are different sailing an ocean vs sailing an inland lake. A trailerable boat that is designed for lakes and reservoirs as a Day or weekend sailboat can get very uncomfortable for 2-3 weeks on the ocean. Just consider the amount of fresh water you will need.

Carolyn Shearlock, a full time cruiser for the past 13 years at "the Boat Galley" recently posted "Most full-time cruising couples that we knew averaged 4 to 6 gallons per person per day." (Water Usage on a Boat | The Boat Galley)

If my grade school math still works that would be 140 to 210 gallons of fresh water on a 2-3 week cruise) Most day/weekend sail boats are not designed to handle 200 gallons of fresh water storage.

I for one enjoy big dreams but perhaps consideration for the specific waters in which you want to play might be the guiding light to the NEW BOAT you want to own. With the dreams you describe it sounds like you could become a serial boat owner graduating to a bigger boat with each new adventure. At the least you may find that having precious cargo like your baby daughter and wife might mean a bigger / safer boat.

There was a thread o the forum that might be a place to explore.. Is this Boat a good boat?
This link might help provide perspective as to the importance of boat design in your selection of a NEW boat.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
As far as boats, in the mid 70's a young energetic sailor took a 15ft Montgomery "trailer-able" boat and sailed form Newport CA to Oahu in 36 days. (http://www.msog.org/yarns/hawaii15.cfm)

A Dana 24 - In a 2016 review in Blue Water Boats, Rosie Mac wrote, "Like all good boats, the Dana 24 is well balanced, fast for her size and sea-kindly. Her shallow draft allows for exploration in cruising grounds larger yachts cannot, and her design, now over 25 years old, is well proven with a number of ocean crossings to her credit. Yet for all her offshore capabilities she is one of a select few that can go home on a trailer."
I have a friend who enjoyed his Dana 24. Sailed her al over the Pacific NW.

Both are small boats. Both are capable boats. What you need to consider, could you live for 36 days on a boat that size just you and the big blue ocean.

I suggest as you follow this dream, you attempt to charter a couple of cruise sail boats and experience the living on a sail boat even if it is in "paradise" where you wake to the gentle lapping of the waves and view the palm trees of the nearby island.

Then you hear that dreaded sound... "Damn The Head is backing up.... ":yikes:

Mar 20, 2020
Ok so let's forget the big ocean cruises and stick to lakes... maybe I'll upgrade in the future when I decide to become an ocean sailer. With the baby someone mentioned safety and space and I would definitely want that to be considered with precious cargo. Anyone have a favorite lake weekender? What is your favorite feature and why would you recommend this boat?
james wharram catamaran will easily handle all your needs. including the head room. raise a tall tent over the vessel in port and have a nice living space. they sail around the lake, they sail around the world.

send lots of pictures. we like pictures :)
wow this is a cool looking boat based on what i've seen so far. looks like they are all custom? do you build them yourself??

Mar 20, 2020
Have you looked at this?

I think you have too broad of a range of "requirements". It is highly unlikely that you are going to be able to trailer a boat to the coast and the off and do the Transpac, or even sail the family to the BVI's. Multiple different things to take in to consideration there. Something like a First 235 like I have, you could trailer to places but, its not a trailer sailer, it is a trailerable boat. Going somewhere for the weekend would be a lot of work. I think you need to slow it down a bit and really figure out your needs, your wants, and your must haves. The must haves will probably come from the Admiral. Take a step back, take a breath and work it out and work your way up in boats.

Taking a boat from the east coast to the west that can get to the BVI's and then do the Transpac, is going to cost.

Love the Fist 24, maybe step up to the 27.
beneteaus are on my list of boats to own one day but right now I think they are just a bit out of my price range!

Mar 20, 2020
As far as boats, in the mid 70's a young energetic sailor took a 15ft Montgomery "trailer-able" boat and sailed form Newport CA to Oahu in 36 days. (http://www.msog.org/yarns/hawaii15.cfm)

A Dana 24 - In a 2016 review in Blue Water Boats, Rosie Mac wrote, "Like all good boats, the Dana 24 is well balanced, fast for her size and sea-kindly. Her shallow draft allows for exploration in cruising grounds larger yachts cannot, and her design, now over 25 years old, is well proven with a number of ocean crossings to her credit. Yet for all her offshore capabilities she is one of a select few that can go home on a trailer."
I have a friend who enjoyed his Dana 24. Sailed her al over the Pacific NW.

Both are small boats. Both are capable boats. What you need to consider, could you live for 36 days on a boat that size just you and the big blue ocean.

I suggest as you follow this dream, you attempt to charter a couple of cruise sail boats and experience the living on a sail boat even if it is in "paradise" where you wake to the gentle lapping of the waves and view the palm trees of the nearby island.

Then you hear that dreaded sound... "Damn The Head is backing up.... ":yikes:
good advice about the chartered cruise as someone else also mentioned! and yes I have seen the dana 24 and have been looking for one but have had no luck so far!! thanks for the input!

Mar 20, 2020
You're gonna have a hard time trailering a boat to the VI. :biggrin: Actually, sailing in the Virgin Islands is pretty easy sailing. All the navigation is by sight, the waters are relatively protected and while the wind can pipe up around Christmas, the trade winds are very predictable.

Sailing a Transpac is tough and not something that most trailerable boats can safely and comfortably do. Harder than getting to Hawai'i is getting back.

Of the 3 boats listed, the Newport, Contessa, and Hunter, the Contessa is better suited to straying far from land. Tania Aebie sailed one around the world by herself at 18, John Kretschmer sailed one around Cape Horn. Compared to the Newport and Hunter, the Contessa will be stronger, more comfortable and slower.

Practical Sailor just had an article on boat design and there is recent thread her about the article. Worth the read.
contessa 26 is another one people rave about and also another I have had a hard time locating! thanks for sharing!