Don't neglect your air filter

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
I used to be religious about changing the foam rubber filter element in my Universal M12, first yearly then every 2-3 years and I would see it did not have much wear and I did not use the engine so much so I figured "what the heck, why bother" until I was reminded by some owner who brought the subject up on this forum. Good thing I took a look as mine was 1/3 disintegrated, gummed up on the steel mesh frame and of course some had to have gone into the engine. Gotta love Diesels, they take a lot of crap. Anyway, I say this as a reminder to those who might be as cavalier as I was that you need to pull it apart every once in a while and replace it or more appropriately in line with how many hours you put on the engine, maybe more often.

• Helpful
Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
the unintended consequence of having an air filter...sucking it into the engine.

Maybe just lucky (or stupid) but have never had one on our engines. As the saying goes, “so far, so good”.

Other than an improperly aligned belt, I can’t envision a dust source in the engine compartment. What am I missing?

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
The Yanmar is known for disintegrating.. I replaced the foam with a nice open cell that does not disintegrate..
Yanmar Air Filter.JPG

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I don't think an inboard diesel needs an air filter, certainly not a foam element. A wire mesh "filter" to keep large things out, like nuts and bolts and cotter pins, is a good idea.

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
the unintended consequence of having an air filter...sucking it into the engine.

Maybe just lucky (or stupid) but have never had one on our engines. As the saying goes, “so far, so good”.

Other than an improperly aligned belt, I can’t envision a dust source in the engine compartment. What am I missing?

Fair question. I guess "first do no harm" concept applies here. Better no filter than one that gets ingested.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
I had the same thing happen to the foam filter on my new Yanmar after a couple of years. Replaced it but next time I might just let it go commando. I would, also, think that a negligible bit of dust might be preferable to ingesting all that foam.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
A little dirt in the intake is good for a diesel, Argh!

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
After having several Yanmar foam filter disintegrated and suck into engine, I gave up replacing the filter and run engine with just the metal cone (silencer?) For couple of years now. Couldn't figure out where dust gonna come from in boat and at sea.
And same thing happens to my genset foam filter. No point replacing the foam, just use the paper type.

Ken Y

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
There are two types of foam apparently. One is alcohol resistant, one is petroleum distillate resistant. Wonder if the Universal Marine folks picked the wrong one. Anyway, I ordered three from Toad's and they did not have that many in stock, so guess it is not a big mover. That says it all about how often we are changing these out I guess................