Adventure

Bob J.

Apr 14, 2009
Sabre 28 NH
I was lucky enough to have my son spend four days with me anchored over at Hollbrook Island. Before we split I noticed the dingy painter was looking pretty sad & decided I should replace next week. We're heading back to Belfast, a mile off the northern tip of Isleboro when Ethan says, hey dad where's the dingy.... Aw fudge... I start scanning the bay north of our route, no dingy. I decide to head back to Holbrook thinking maybe the dingy didn't make it out of the harbor with us. As we get closer Ethan's scanning the shoreline, dad I think that's the dingy. After looking thru the binocs, sure enough. So we drop anchor, I put on a bass fishing life vest & over I go. After 100' I'm on shore. The tide has been going out so I struggle walking on the snot getting to a high point. Finally get to where the dingy was, it moved. Finally found it about 100' away.
Two things came out of this adventure. I got my dingy back. I got to sail off my anchor twice yesterday which I thought was pretty cool for some guy that's been a powerboater until recently.

What did I learn from this experience. If it looks questionable, replace it. Guess I'll do the topping lift next....

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Great story! When I tow, I use a towing bridle, and I use the dinghy painter as a safety line, "backup" for the bridle. Only single point of failure is the long tow line I use. This has paid off more than once.

• Helpful

Bob J.

Apr 14, 2009
Sabre 28 NH
Great story! When I tow, I use a towing bridle, and I use the dinghy painter as a safety line, "backup" for the bridle. Only single point of failure is the long tow line I use. This has paid off more than once.
That's good advice. Thanks!
Speaking of "backups". I also learned it's important to keep a handheld radio charged at all times. The indicator may show a full charge when receiving but the minute you hit the transmit button, poof it's gone.. I broadcast a Pan Pan message asking folks to be on the look out for the dingy. Soon as those words left my mouth, the radio went dead. In the end everything turned out well but it also reminded me how quickly one can find themselves at camp runamuck.