best headsets?

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Let's keep this discussion civil please. There is nothing wrong with a person wishing to use a modern convenience on their own boat. It is the same as GPS, furling headsails, furling mainsails, new gerneration anchors. Works for some, doesn't work for others. But, we do not belittle others for their choice.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
I saw some sailors using their phones, maybe they had earbuds. I searched once for a hard wire headset and just plug in jacks at each end, I might still do that if we ever sail again.

Jul 20, 2019
Beneteau 423 Rock Hall
We got the eartec ultra lite this year. Wife loves them! I thought they were expensive but I have to admit they are clear, even in wind and easy to use. No more hand signals or walking back and forth.Wife is no longer stressed at the helm so money well spent!

Jun 28, 2020
Hunter 466 Long Beach
We got the eartec ultra lite this year. Wife loves them! I thought they were expensive but I have to admit they are clear, even in wind and easy to use. No more hand signals or walking back and forth.Wife is no longer stressed at the helm so money well spent!
Those are what i was looking at originally, and I appreciate the feedback. I was given a $500 amazon card as a bonus from a successful work project so I think I'll put that to use on these!
Thanks Jim and everyone else!
it's been a fun post, even with banter.

CarlN

Jan 4, 2009
Ketch 55 Bristol, RI
We‘be used Sena SP-10s for about 8 years (and hand signals for 15 years before that). Definitely prefer the headsets to hand signals when picking up a mooring because I’m also holding a boat hook. On a 55ft boat the helmsman loses sight of the morning at a considerable distance. We only use the headsets for docking in unusual situations.

As some mentioned, the Sena SP10 have a glitchy pairing routine (even previously paired headsets will sometimes not connect). But the Sena’s audio quality is amazing. It really is like you’re talking to someone right beside you in a quiet room. Stress levels are much lower.

I just replaced the SP-10s with the new Sena Expand. This model seems to have solved the pairing issues. Startup is now reliable. They are also more compact and have better thought out controls. SENA Expand Bluetooth Duplex Headset

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2020
Hunter 466 Long Beach
We‘be used Sena SP-10s for about 8 years (and hand signals for 15 years before that). Definitely prefer the headsets to hand signals when picking up a mooring because I’m also holding a boat hook. On a 55ft boat the helmsman loses sight of the morning at a considerable distance. We only use the headsets for docking in unusual situations.

As some mentioned, the Sena SP10 have a glitchy pairing routine (even previously paired headsets will sometimes not connect). But the Sena’s audio quality is amazing. It really is like you’re talking to someone right beside you in a quiet room. Stress levels aren’t much lower.

I just replaced the SP-10s with the new Sena Expand. This model seems to have solved the pairing issues. Startup is now reliable. They are also more compact and have better thought out controls. SENA Expand Bluetooth Duplex Headset
Hmmm...seems like I'll be doing a little more comparison now :)
from that link...

"Stop Yelling!
These hands-free long-range Bluetooth headset intercoms make communication on-board super easy and convenient. Dubbed "Marriage Savers" by our customers"

HAHA...awesome.
I like the design of these around the neck so they won't fall off!
Thanks for sharing CarIN

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Interesting CarlN. I didn't realize MarineBeam sold so many different cruising products.
I like the LumiJohn, and it matches my new cockpit LED speakers. :biggrin:
we have been using MarineBeam's red/white LED bulbs in the head 's ceiling light.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Interesting CarlN. I didn't realize MarineBeam sold so many different cruising products.
I like the LumiJohn, and it matches my new cockpit LED speakers. :biggrin:
we have been using MarineBeam's red/white LED bulbs in the head 's ceiling light.

What to give the sailor who has everything. A great holiday, birthday, or special occasion gift. :biggrin:

LloydB

Jan 15, 2006
Macgregor 22 Silverton
Waterproof cell phone pouch good for 10 feet deep with neck lanyard. x 2. OK honey we're docking now so answer me when I call you from my phone and put me on speaker mode. If you want you should be able to pair together on wifi to use when in poor/none cell range. Maybe even those fancy new iPhone ear buds and then leave your phones inside the boat but that's just a guess.
test it before going forward otherwise you could be back to yelling

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
How do you pair cell phones over wifi?
Call the other person on their phone. Yes, you will use minutes. We've done this on few jobs where one person is inside the boat and the other outside when replacing through hulls. Saves a lot of yelling and miscommunication.

LloydB

Jan 15, 2006
Macgregor 22 Silverton
per posts #30 & #31 sorry late at night should have just said 'pair your phones' without discussing the protocol and had arbitrarily dismissed the idea that those who pay per call might wish to purchase separate Bluetooth headsets to dock.

Jul 30, 2020
Beneteau 45 Oceanis Port Madison, Bainbridge Is.
Two thumbs up for Sena SPH10. We have tried many products, the SPH10 has worked great for us on a Beneteau 45. Not cheap though. Very high quality sound and works great in the wind. Sena's core business is headsets for motorcycles so they know how to deal with wind. It comes with two mics, long and short. The short mic works perfectly and most around won't even see that you are using a headset.

Last edited:

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I think headsets are a great idea. Over the years I learned to use hand signals with my wife. About 20 years ago, maybe a bit longer, I had chartered Shamrock V for a product launch outing for the press, and was utterly impressed that the captain used very subtle hand signals with his crew when casting off and docking. He was so cool, calm, and collected. I strove to emulate him. :) The "trick" is that the crew knows exactly what to do, you are just telling them when. With picking up a mooring, it's about learning the angles as you approach, and going dead slow, almost stop, when you get to the mooring.

(Shamrock V is a 120' J-class sloop launched in 1930. Shamrock V - Wikipedia)

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Not so easy with 20k+ winds in a light multihull. The window for hang time is very short.
I've gotten pretty good at it. Ours is complicated by a strong current at times that's not aligned with the wind, too. Practice, and just remembering to go slow are the keys.

I've never done it in a light multihull, though. Sounds like a different game.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
I've gotten pretty good at it. Ours is complicated by a strong current at times that's not aligned with the wind, too. Practice, and just remembering to go slow are the keys.

I've never done it in a light multihull, though. Sounds like a different game.
I saw one multi hull hang a line between the hulls and snagged the mooring ball driving over it. Then he tied his mooring lines after the boat settled.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
I saw one multi hull hang a line between the hulls and snagged the mooring ball driving over it. Then he tied his mooring lines after the boat settled.
Interesting idea. My sitiuation is a bit more complicated because I usually have a dinghy (on a long floating painter) attached to the mooring. I need to come up at an angle alongside the dinghy to push it outside (the hulls) then turn up at the last minute into the mooring. It still might work, though. Or it might complicate things.

Last edited:

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Interesting idea. My sitiuation is a bit more complicated because I usually have a dinghy (on a long floating painter) attached to the mooring. I need to come up at an angle alongside the dinghy to push it outside (the hulls) then turn up at the last minute into the mooring. It still might work, though. Or it might complicate things.
Can't you just run over the dinghy, and fish the painter through to the rear after you tie up?

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Can't you just run over the dinghy, and fish the painter through to the rear after you tie up?
Not possible. Water stays (running diagonally from the center hull below the white stripe in the image) would catch it and the outboard might scratch the topsides. Those water stays are structural ~25mm dyform and resist upward forces on the amas (floats). Beam (unfolded) is 28 ft.
IMG_1291.jpeg

Last edited: