dorade box cowl vent

Aug 17, 2013
Pearson P30 202 Ottawa/Gatineau
hey everyone, just bought a cowl vent for my dorade box but I'm wondering should the opening be facing forward or backward?
it is located about midship above the head

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
I leave mine facing forward most of the time. If you want more airflow, you need to point it in the direction the wind is coming from.:beer:

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Face the opening towards the prevailing wind. When on anchor that is facing forward. Most cowls will turn, adjust it to suit the prevailing wind. If you have 2 cowls, face them in opposite directions, one will force air in, one will draw air out.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Because of the water drains in the box part it will not pull air out of the boat. It is an in for air, not extraction, so as above face it forward.

Jan 11, 2014
Because of the water drains in the box part it will not pull air out of the boat. It is an in for air, not extraction, so as above face it forward.
I think this is one of those "sounds good on paper" but in real life it isn't so. Dorade box drain holes tend to be very small, maybe a quarter inch, large enough to drain the occasional wave or wind driven rain. The cowl has a large opening that funnels air into a slightly smaller opening, this pressurizes the dorade, with the bulk of the fresh air going through the 3 or 4 inch opening and into the cabin.

Besides, if a lot of green water is coming over the bow, turn the cowl around to prevent water from coming out, the vacuum will still pull some air out.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
I think this is one of those "sounds good on paper" but in real life it isn't so. Dorade box drain holes tend to be very small, maybe a quarter inch, large enough to drain the occasional wave or wind driven rain. The cowl has a large opening that funnels air into a slightly smaller opening, this pressurizes the dorade, with the bulk of the fresh air going through the 3 or 4 inch opening and into the cabin.

Besides, if a lot of green water is coming over the bow, turn the cowl around to prevent water from coming out, the vacuum will still pull some air out.
There used to be ventury vents with a smaller cone intake to windward and a larger one down wind. Those would pull air out of a cabin, but ours sure won't with just the curved cowl pointing aft. We do indeed turn them around when going sailing, but that is to keep water out, not to get air out.
DSCF8426.JPG

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Dorade box drain holes tend to be very small, maybe a quarter inch, large enough to drain the occasional wave or wind driven rain.
This certainly isn't the case on my boat; the Dorade scuppers are quite large, could get rid of all of the water the cowls could swallow, in my opinion. I would guess there's at least as much scupper area as cowl input area. I guess it will vary by boat.

Jan 11, 2014
This certainly isn't the case on my boat; the Dorade scuppers are quite large, could get rid of all of the water the cowls could swallow, in my opinion. I would guess there's at least as much scupper area as cowl input area. I guess it will vary by boat.
If that was the case, then your dorades would be ineffective. There needs to be enough aerodynamic resistance in the drain holes to force the air to flow into the cabin. Looking at the photos @capta posted, it appears the drain holes are fairly small, perhaps ¾" x ⅜". That would yield roughly 1 square inch of drainage. A cowl with a 4" diameter (and a very small cowl at that) has about a 12.5 in^2 opening to allow air to flow in. I think it is a safe bet that the outlet for his cowls is at least 3" in diameter, which would give it about a 9.5 in^2 diameter opening into the cabin.

For this semi-hypothetical example, if we add the drain hole openings to the exit hole openings we would have about 10.5 in^2 of exhaust and about 12.5 in^2 intake. With any pressure at all on the cowl, a large amount of air will be forced down into the cabin. Since I'm not an engineer I won't try to calculate a precise amount, however, the air lost to the drain holes is a fairly small amount. Based on surface area alone, only about 10%.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I get a pretty good breeze inside from the Dorades, so I don't know. I'll look again when I'm there this weekend.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Way back when, S&S had a formula (I believe) of the size of the scuppers. Like Dave said, size is important as the scuppers exhaust air under pressure as well as water. Plus the height of the standpipe or divider and the volume of the box were taken into account. We still haven't improved on them for a boat out at sea taking spray and green water over the decks.

As I've built several dorade boxes, I played around with the idea of a floating flap inside. The idea: Simply a small piece of wood held with one, not tight screw in an enlarged hole, that would simply float as spray and green water would fill the box, and open the scupper.

This was for a foredeck mounted dorade box that is over the anchor locker and doubles as access to a hose for anchor washing. I really appreciate that 4" cowl vent blowing fresh air into and through the anchor locker. The rode and chain dry quickly and there's never an odor. Plus the deck plate to access the deck wash is clear and shines daylight into the locker below.

In the end, I just kept the scuppers to the same design as the originals knowing that I've never overwhelmed those.

Dorade boxes mounted, hand rails installed  (1 of 1).jpg

If dorade boxes have plastic tops, as well as providing full time passive ventilation, they act as day lights below, nice in our boat as it brightens the head and passageway forward. This is the foredeck box over the anchor locker.

Forward dorade box.jpg

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Tom, How do you keep your sheet lines from snagging on these?

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
I have a stainless steel guard mounted on my dorade box to keep the sheets from snagging. Did that after loosing two cowls.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Who cares about the air those dorades provide? They and the rest of the brightwork look fantastic! Nicely done.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Tom, How do you keep your sheet lines from snagging on these?
They must be in the right place (no act on my part), Roy because I don't recall sheets catching them except maybe once or twice. The cowls do have a small rod from the lower lip to their base which leaves less places to hang up.

I think the location is why. The 2 on the house are just abaft the mast. The headsail sheets don't reach those and the the mainsheet isn't slack in that area. Then the forward cowl and box is mounted forward of where headsail sheets flog (they DO catch on mast winches, too often,...).

Here's an old ocean racer with the same locations and no guards.

After a hundred years of yacht design, the old stiffs in the Alden office probably knew ALL the wrong places to mount cowl vents on dorade boxes.

sayonara off (1 of 1).jpg