Ship's Bell Fog Bell

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Greetings,

I'm looking for a bell for my boat. I prefer a chrome plated bronze, 6" bell - the Perko model is perfect, but quite expensive. If someone has a good sounding bell, even if I had to have it chrome plated, I'm interested.

Thanks,

jv

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Is this just to meet regulations? Or is it for use in fog? If the latter, IMHO it would be better to upgrade your VHF to a model that includes a hailer/foghorn function, and mount a loudspeaker on the mast. Better to be heard by other boats than to only be heard by other people in your boat.

Last edited:

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Thanks Larry, it's more a matter of aesthetics and decor than anything else. A bell isn't required on a boat this size, and is, in fact, no longer required on boats 40 to 65'. I have a couple of air horns, a Sea Sense Safety Blaster (great!), and a megaphone.

I'd love permanently mounted, automatic fog horn and bell, that looks "yachty," but I'm afraid I'd have to make my own. In this case I'd prefer a real bell with an electric clapper, and a real air-powered, very low frequency air horn, both with helm-actuated automatic controls. Just dreaming.

But yea, for now if someone wanted to sell me a 6" Perko chrome plated bronze bell at a bargain price....

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Compressed air horns are too loud IMHO. Last time I used one in fog it was because some idiot in a power boat was racing around in dense Maine fog following his fish finder. I saw him coming at me at high speed on my port side with my radar and I blew the horn which fortunately he heard and powered down in time to miss broadsiding me. My poor old dog dived into the cabin when the horn sounded totally frightened and no doubt with sore ears. My ears hurt as well. Might as well set off a cherry bomb as blow one of those compressed air horns. I am certain those horns violate OSHA standards for ear damaging loud noises. Never have found a softer but adequately loud one. Bell is too soft for power boats to hear. Back in the days of sail a bell would have been adequate, but not today.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
But yea, for now if someone wanted to sell me a 6" Perko chrome plated bronze bell at a bargain price....
I have one somewhere. I just looked in the most likely closet and came up empty. :banghead: Will keep an eye out. If I find it; it'll be yours for the price of shipping.