Honda 2200 vs 1000 noise comparison

Jul 23, 2009
Beneteau 31 Oceanis Grand Lake, Oklahoma
I did a little unscientific testing today with my Honda inverter generators. I compared the noise level with no load at high idle and ECO idle. I also loaded each unit with 750 watts using a space heater. The results were not surprising to me. The 1000 watt generator and the 2200 watt unit made about the same amount of noise under all three conditions. The small unit operated at a higher rpm and produced a higher tone. I would probably prefer the lower tone of the larger unit on a boat, however if I was only use the unit for small loads the weight of the bigger unit makes it a lot less attractive.

So what can the 1000 watt Honda power. I've used it on a small boat to run the 20 amp charger, a 900 watt hot plate and a squirrel cage fan all at the same time. It is only rated to 900 watts continuous and 1000 surge. It switched my heater to 1500 watts from 750 for about 1 second several time today just to test it, it never did overload. It's a tough little generator. Obviously it won't run the standard marine AC unit, but it should handle a 70 or 80 amp charger.

The 2200 should run everything on a typical 30 foot boat as long your not running the water heater and the AC at the same time.

I'm not suggesting that anyone use a portable generator on a boat. Be safe and do your homework.

• Helpful
Jul 23, 2009
Those Honda generators are really nice. I just wish they made one in Diesel!

dj
Wouldn't that be great. But:
1 even more expensive.
2 heavier.
3 noisier.

Don't get me wrong I love diesels. I've had 4 diesel cars, 2 trucks, 2 boats, still have 1 truck and 1 boat.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Wouldn't that be great. But:
1 even more expensive.
2 heavier.
3 noisier.

Don't get me wrong I love diesels. I've had 4 diesel cars, 2 trucks, 2 boats, still have 1 truck and 1 boat.
Don't know if you've ever had a small portable diesel generator, but they are really nice! When I was living in Europe, that is frequently what we would use. The price difference was not noticable, the noise level was quite similar. They are heavier. They work noticably better than a gasoline driven generator with less fluctuation when loads are changed. I also really don't like having gasoline on a sailboat and prefer to keep the number of fuels needed to a minimum.

dj

Jul 23, 2009
DJ

How about a little more info?

I've never used a diesel generator smaller than 20k. I normally maintain generators from 30k to 600k, all diesel. I've been around small open frame portables and they were terribly noisy.

I too would prefer not to have gasoline on my boat.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
DJ

How about a little more info?

I've never used a diesel generator smaller than 20k. I normally maintain generators from 30k to 600k, all diesel. I've been around small open frame portables and they were terribly noisy.

I too would prefer not to have gasoline on my boat.
Wish I could remember names. I came back from living there in the early '90's so it's been a long time. When talking about the sizes you mention, put on a pair of head phones for noise protection for sure.

A buddy of mine built a small, like 10 footer? Auxillary boat that we put a small diesel generator in to run lights used for harvesting bait fish by a large fishing vessel. It was similar in size to the Honda 2200 as far as power output.

There were a number of small diesel generator options at that time. But here in the US it's like finding a unicorn...

What info do you want? I accept an invitation to guide you to some great industrial supply places in Europe... (It would require flying me there, and can't happen until after the covid crap is over...)

dj

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
I use Elemax SHX2000 portable genset for Aircon. It uses Honda engine same as the EU2000i. I too have obm so gasoline onboard is inevitable.
Would love to have the Honda EU2000i but too expensive. So settled for its cousin brand.

Ken Y

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
I use oars.

dj
When my obm hit rocks at shallow it broke the gears. Had to use oar for whole of that holiday trip. That's really a lesson learnt for me. Take care of obm and it'll take care of you.

Ken Y

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
I used obm for years on my dingies. Then I went to an excellent sailing/rowing dingy. I put my obm on it a couple times and discovered I really prefer rowing/sailing the dingy.

A good rowing dingy is awesome! I'm thinking of checking out an electric motor option. That might also work, but all the head aches, maintenance, etc associated with gasoline driven outboards are definitely a thing of the past for me now.

dj

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
The other day I ran into an ad offering a Westinghouse 2200W for $299. The Brand name peaked my curiosity at that price point. I had paid close to $1,000 for a Honda 2000 a few years ago and I still have it. I found a review in YouTube from a guy who dissasembled both and compared them. Basically he said the materials in the Westinghouse were much inferior, that it had a limit of hours in the warranty and that the exact same model was sold under other brand names indicating someone else was manufacturing these generators and Westinghouse was just slaping their name on it. My take on the review was that on the long run the Honda would be cheaper.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
The other day I ran into an ad offering a Westinghouse 2200W for $299. The Brand name peaked my curiosity at that price point. I had paid close to $1,000 for a Honda 2000 a few years ago and I still have it. I found a review in YouTube from a guy who dissasembled both and compared them. Basically he said the materials in the Westinghouse were much inferior, that it had a limit of hours in the warranty and that the exact same model was sold under other brand names indicating someone else was manufacturing these generators and Westinghouse was just slaping their name on it. My take on the review was that on the long run the Honda would be cheaper.
I read same thing but stopped when he described the plastic carburetor among the differences. Moat of us already have too much junk cluttering our boats/garages.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Those Honda generators are really nice. I just wish they made one in Diesel!

dj
I once came upon a Honda eu1000 diesel on eBay. I don't recall the name of the company, but a company that specialized in special military contracts had converted some Hondas to diesel, probably using one of those special carbs that vaporizes the diesel fuel. It was for an advanced special forces application. The guy selling them had three, and I think he wanted $1,500 for them. I now regret not buying one.

What I would really like is a generator like the eu1000 or 2000 that was diesel fueled and water cooled, with electric start. :)

Jul 23, 2009
After buying several other inverter generators I will probably never buy anything other than a Honda ever again.

I have an ETQ and a Generac that I will sell cheap, real cheap. ETQ parts are not available and the inverter for the Generac costs $200 more than a new unit. Honda parts are readily available at reasonable prices.

I don't have a dingy, don't really need one here. We only day sail.