Hatch covers for hunter 34

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
I don't see hatch covers on this web site, anyone know of any stock hatch covers for 1983
H34. Looking for the larg main forward hatch, two side hatch and main Saloon hatch covers.
I have seen them on other h34's on boats that were for sale. I thought that if I were able to get a set that they would really help keep the heat out of the cabin and allow my Ac unit to not have to work so hard.
I've been using white towels over them and it helps, however the wind keeps blowing them off.

I unfortunately already know what the Answere is. Custom made, but I thought it's worth a shot to see if there might be a stock item out there?

Last edited:

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Can't resist:
solon: a member of a legislative body;
salon: an establishment where a hairdresser, beautician, or couturier conducts business or a reception room in a large house.
saloon: a large public room for use as a lounge on a ship.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
By the way, good point. I need a couple of hatch covers. I bought a roll of Sunbrella and even the matching thread, but God only knows when I'll get to making them, if ever. I bought some winch covers on this site, which we OK. I wonder wy they don't offer hatch covers?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Can't resist:
solon: a member of a legislative body;
salon: an establishment where a hairdresser, beautician, or couturier conducts business or a reception room in a large house.
saloon: a large public room for use as a lounge on a ship.
So how do you spell the name of the long narrow seat that sits fore-aft on a boat? Ignorant minds want to know....:beer:

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
If you search Sailrite.com website, you may find instructions on how to machine sew a hatch cover. that's what i did. Not well sew or nicely finished but it works.

Ken Y

Jan 14, 2020
Hunter 36e Clearwater Beach
I AGREE THAT THE OUTLAND HATCH COVERS ARE THE BEST SOLUTION. I'VE HAD MINE FOR SEVERAL MONTHS AND APPRECIATE THE VERSATILITY.

IMG_0041.jpg

Jan 19, 2010
I don't see hatch covers on this web site, anyone know of any stock hatch covers for 1983
H34.
I found this one for the 426

I had a companionway cover made and used the SBO store. They had it custom made at a shop AFTER I ordered it so... can't help but wonder if they "know a guy" who could make these same types of covers for your boat.

I'd call SBO and tell them what you are looking for.

... and if you do call them and they can custom make you a set, let us know. I might want some for the windshield on my H26.

Jan 19, 2010
A less attractive option but one that is quick, easy and cheap would be to cut to fit and affix (tape or suction cups) some of that auto-glass reflection material on the inside of your windshield. Probably won't help with crazing and hazing but will help your boat stay cooler.

1594667242705.png

Jul 15, 2020
Hunter 33 Dallas Corinthian Yacht Club
H34. Looking for the larg main forward hatch, two side hatch and main Saloon hatch covers.
I have seen them on other h34's on boats that were for sale. I thought that if I were able to get a set that they would really help keep the heat out of the cabin and allow my Ac unit to not have to work so hard.
I've been using white towels over them and it helps, however the wind keeps blowing them off.

I unfortunately already know what the Answere is. Custom made, but I thought it's worth a shot to see if there might be a stock item out there?
I purchased generic square canvas (navy) hatch covers from Ocean South that fit perfectly on my Hunter 33. These tighten down with an elastic draw string. Available in numerous sizes. Check out their website:

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I made some covers using an old sail cover, some shock cord and hot glue gun. Then I cut a piece of Refexite insulation to tuck under the cover to help keep the heat down.

not a great picture, but you can get the idea.
292A855B-75A9-419C-B56A-E5B7EB210C6B.jpeg

Greg

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
You can make them with a standard sewing machine. Sail rite has a good video on it if interested. I’ve built two full sets and prefer forgoing the flex cord and installing snaps.