26S & Minn Kota 48 LB thrust trolling motor

Aug 5, 2019
Macgregor 26 S NJ
I just wanted to put this out there for anyone wondering what such a motor would do with a 26S. On a light wind day on a calm lake, ballast full I got two knots out of the 48LB electric motor. I picked this 20-year-old motor up used but in very nice shape for $50 to use on my local electric only lake. The ramp there is pretty shallow but I had no problems both launching & returning the boat to the trailer there thanks to the Mac design. I ended up having three conversations with people at the ramp that day, one guy who lived on the lake actually jumped in his car to come see the boat up close & meet me at the ramp when I was pulling out. He said that mine was the biggest boat he ever saw on the lake, he has a 19' sailboat, and that he hopes to see me back there again. The other two pretty much said the same. One couple in a small electric pontoon came up on me really close out in the middle of the lake in order to get a look, I think they probably wanted to talk too but I was in the middle of raising the mast and all out there on the water. I plan on doing plenty of overnight camping there on that lake so they will see "us" again soon. I was very satisfied with the performance of the trolling motor for that location. Being it's only eight minutes away from home, it makes for a nice sailing option.

electric motor.JPG

srimes

Jun 9, 2020
Macgregor 26D Brookings
Is that the 12v or 24? If it's on 12 you can add another battery and go twice as fast ;).Even if it's rated for 12 it probably won't burn up for a while .

Some people use model airplane props to get more speed and range. They'll have less static thrust and pick up more weeds so not as good as the factory prop for bass fishing.

Aug 5, 2019
Macgregor 26 S NJ
Is that the 12v or 24? If it's on 12 you can add another battery and go twice as fast ;).Even if it's rated for 12 it probably won't burn up for a while .

Some people use model airplane props to get more speed and range. They'll have less static thrust and pick up more weeds so not as good as the factory prop for bass fishing.
It's a 12 volt motor, I am running two batteries with the 400 watt solar panel, I should try that (24) even if once to see if it's faster in case of an emergency and need extra speed. This lake has a large field that's 5-6' deep and full of weeds you have to get through from the dock to the main deep lake, the weedless prop had no problems getting through them. I'll probably stick with the weedless prop but that's something I should look into for other areas without weeds with using a model airplane prop. Thanks for the ideas!

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Mine was a 55lb Minkota.

I don't really remember the top speed. I mostly used it to get in and out of the marina. But it worked fine. I had a trickle charger that I left out in the cockpit during the week and my battery was topped off the next weekend. We did a lot of overnights in that boat.

100_1248.JPG