Turnbuckle thread size

Apr 19, 2020
Hunter 37C 143 Cleveland
Hi, I have an 82' c30 and would like to replace the closed body turnbuckles with open body ones. Does anyone know what thread size these are?

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
For a couple of bucks you can get vernier calipers that will enable you to easily determine any thread size you have a sample of. Plus, they'll be handy for other things. I rarely go a day without using mine for something.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Hi, I have an 82' c30 and would like to replace the closed body turnbuckles with open body ones. Does anyone know what thread size these are?
Buy a nut of each possible size, in a left and right hand thread.

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
Buy a nut of each possible size, in a left and right hand thread.
Having nuts around to test with is handy. But it's going to cost as much as an inexpensive pair of calipers while giving you a tool that only does one thing, compared to the nearly limitless uses of the calipers. (To say nothing of the inconvenience of finding left-handed nuts.) Also, you can't use that method to determine the thread of something while it's assembled. And, if you really want the system to be usable, you'd need metric nuts, too, more than doubling the cost.

If you really want the optimum system, get the calipers and then a thread pitch gauge, to make your pitch measurements quicker and more accurate.

Jan 22, 2008
Read the catalogs, dude. There are lh/rh nuts for each size of turnbuckle. If you can't eyeball the difference beteween the lifeline wire, you need the calipers and some reading glasses. Been there done that, have my own tools to make lifelines for my entire boat- and for friends on need. West Marine or SBO probably has everything you need. LH nut are frequently used in lifelines.

Apr 19, 2020
Hunter 37C 143 Cleveland
I found some calipers and the lowers appear to be 5/16 and the uppers 3/8. I hope

Jan 22, 2008
I found some calipers and the lowers appear to be 5/16 and the uppers 3/8. I hope
It would be quite unusual to have 3/8 on a 30 footer. You need to measure the SS wire, not the white plastic. Buy the new stuff as bare wire, not plastic coating. I sure wish they made blue.

Apr 19, 2020
Hunter 37C 143 Cleveland
It would be quite unusual to have 3/8 on a 30 footer. You need to measure the SS wire, not the white plastic. Buy the new stuff as bare wire, not plastic coating. I sure wish they made blue.
I measured the threads. The wire is 1/4 for the uppers and 3/16 for the lowers. I'm not sure what plastic you're referring to but I don't have any plastic around there.

Jan 22, 2008
I measured the threads. The wire is 1/4 for the uppers and 3/16 for the lowers. I'm not sure what plastic you're referring to but I don't have any plastic around there.
The wire can come with a plastic coating of some type, or you can buy the wire without it, so it should be cheaper.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I confess I'm amused that a topic like this could result in 11 replies. First, if you can't figure out what size turnbuckles you have, maybe you shouldn't be attempting this on your own. Second, it seems there's confusion over whether these are for standing rigging or for lifelines, per the plastic-coated comment. So, what is it? This is something you can easily look up.

Jan 22, 2008
I confess I'm amused that a topic like this could result in 11 replies. First, if you can't figure out what size turnbuckles you have, maybe you shouldn't be attempting this on your own. Second, it seems there's confusion over whether these are for standing rigging or for lifelines, per the plastic-coated comment. So, what is it? This is something you can easily look up.
You are right ! EVEN WHEN I SAID LIFELINE HE STILL DID NOT SPECIFY HIS SITUATION. WE STILL DON'T KNOW for sure, DO WE?