Fat head main on frac rig

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Yes/no? Why?
Why not?

You have to remember that zero performance oriented masthead boats have been designed in the last 20 years, so the 'fathead' phenomenon has all occurred on fractional boats.

Backstay is the obvious first issue. You have your choice of no backstay (need 25 degree spreader sweep as a min) or running backs.

The extra area up high is best felt on a fractional boat, where it is out of the backwash of the jib. Notice I said jib. not really a genoa boat play; it really was designed for non-overlapping rigged boats. Want more area on a genoa boat? Get a bigger headsail.

Dec 7, 2018
C&C 27 Mk V Vancouver
Nah, big genoa too much grinding I weak - singlehanding. Fathead, big roach, small overlap say 135%.
Yes, no backwash is what I thought but I'd do it on a masthead rig too, like the big Swans do.

Buddy tells me he gets no hit from PHRF for his extra large roach (Martin 242 main on Niagara 26), wonder if that'll apply to fathead too.
Dan, no, I intend a long crane, possibly fab'd from titainium by an ex-workmate from the bicycle industry who builds bikes with the stuff.

Nov 8, 2010
Nah, big genoa too much grinding I weak - singlehanding. Fathead, big roach, small overlap say 135%.
Yes, no backwash is what I thought but I'd do it on a masthead rig too, like the big Swans do.

Buddy tells me he gets no hit from PHRF for his extra large roach (Martin 242 main on Niagara 26), wonder if that'll apply to fathead too.
Dan, no, I intend a long crane, possibly fab'd from titainium by an ex-workmate from the bicycle industry who builds bikes with the stuff.
So many things. What boat , the H25.6?
I'm not going to attempt to talk you out of something you have your mind set on. With that in mind.

If you main can be tacked with a single backstay in place, then by definition it is not a fathead. Like the performance version of the Swan58 shown. A roachy main for sure. That swan IS fractional BTW. 9/10s or 15/16. Non-overlapping.

Don't underestimate the engineering thats needed to design and build a crane like that. Or the importance of your backstay!

If your PHRF board does not penalize extra roach or a fathead, then they are being lazy and doing the sport a huge discredit. You can tell them I said so!

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I always thought that a B&R rigged Hunter, with a a full roach flat top conventional mainsail would be a good combination. No backstay in the way, biggest sail area possible.

but hey, I no longer have a Hunter.

Greg

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
If you really want to explore all the options, why not rig a gaff and add some REAL sail area up there?

Dec 7, 2018
C&C 27 Mk V Vancouver
If you main can be tacked with a single backstay in place, then by definition it is not a fathead.
I disagree.
1592689231468.jpeg

You're right the Swan is frac but one still could, and I would, fathead a masthead rig.
Guy wanted 29k Cdn for that Hunter. Apparently some one bought it. Yikes! There's one I can't access, (and at the rate things are going prolly never will!) in Seattle for 64hun USD.
Don't underestimate the engineering thats needed to design and build a crane like that. Or the importance of your backstay!
Especially for msthd rig w/inline spreaders! Frac, not so much. Watched buddy do his on Niagara 26.

Nov 8, 2010
I disagree.
View attachment 181206
You're right the Swan is frac but one still could, and I would, fathead a masthead rig.
Guy wanted 29k Cdn for that Hunter. Apparently some one bought it. Yikes! There's one I can't access, (and at the rate things are going prolly never will!) in Seattle for 64hun USD.

Especially for msthd rig w/inline spreaders! Frac, not so much. Watched buddy do his on Niagara 26.
By that definition fair enough. I always considered a fat head and a square top the same thing, but if you’re used to describe a roschy main sail then OK.