HANK ON FRUSTRATION

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
Who among us is sailing with hank on jibs. My brand new auto pilot, not even used yet had to go in for a recall for a version upgrade, and it came back broken. Took it to the boat to reinstall the ACU 100 unit and the bloody thing doesn't even light up. So it's on its way back to Flir/Raymarine again.
So I solo sail. Previous boat had a furler. Got used to that luxury. Apart from dingy sailing, my Hiunter 25.5 is what I'm experienced with. Sailed for eight years with her. Now I have to hank on sail. I'm constantly struggling with hoisting and bringing down the jib. The 150 is the real pain, the ninety is a little easier. Do you all use sail bags? Maybe someone can tell me the sequence. A Furler is not in the budget right now. Sail and Furler is about $5k, installed.

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
Who among us is sailing with hank on jibs. My brand new auto pilot, not even used yet had to go in for a recall for a version upgrade, and it came back broken. Took it to the boat to reinstall the ACU 100 unit and the bloody thing doesn't even light up. So it's on its way back to Flir/Raymarine again.
So I solo sail. Previous boat had a furler. Got used to that luxury. Apart from dingy sailing, my Hiunter 25.5 is what I'm experienced with. Sailed for eight years with her. Now I have to hank on sail. I'm constantly struggling with hoisting and bringing down the jib. The 150 is the real pain, the ninety is a little easier. Do you all use sail bags? Maybe someone can tell me the sequence. A Furler is not in the budget right now. Sail and Furler is about $5k, installed.
Adding a jib downhaul can be handy when for you want to drop the jib. It would consist simply of a small block mounted by the tack, through which you run a line that attaches to the top or second to the top hank and runs back to the cockpit. Then, to drop the sail, you turn head into the wind, release the halyard, and pull the downhaul. (I'm assuming you may have your halyard run back to the cockpit here.) The downhaul pulls the jib down to the deck and also somewhat keeps it in place, giving you more leisure to go up forward and secure it to a stanchion and/or the pulpit with a sail tie (gasket).

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
I actually had a 25.5 that came with a roller furler and I removed it for hank on. Sails better. May I suggest a downhaul. A small line that attaches to the head of the sail and comes down from the top and through a couple of blocks to the cockpit. You use it like a furling line to pull the sail down when you want to lower it. You can do it from the cockpit. You still have to gather up the sail and secure it on deck but it gets the sail down quickly and easily. On that note, on my 25.5 I created a mesh net with string on the bow pulpit coming back a ways so that the genoa could not fall of the deck. Using the holes in the toe rail I just laced the string up and down and back and forth between the toe rail and the pulpit until I had a net.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I agree, downhaul is the way to go, and Alan's right about making sure you never use the top hank. I did this on our C22 and C25 for 15 years.
Here's how from Pat Royce:
jib downhaul (Medium).jpg

Last edited:

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
I installed a downhaul on my boat. I put a block just aft the forestay and I put two fairleads on port stanchions (attached with zipties) and a camcleat on the port stanchion next to the cockpit.
I run a line with a loop on the end to the head of the jib through the block and fairleads to the camcleat next to the cockpit. Super easy and it was all spare parts I had laying around.
I don't leave a jib bag on the bow because I normally use one of three jibs (85, 100 & 150, but I have five jibs-the other two are a storm jib and a poorly fitting 110-btw, is anyone looking for a great condition 24x24x13 hank on jib originally on a Compac 23?!?9!:)) depending on the wind and I like to flake and fold my jibs before I put them in the bag-it only takes a minute to fold a flake a jib properly.

Jul 5, 2005
Beneteau 361 Sandusky Harbor Marina
Stu, why should you never use the top hank for the downhaul? I just rigged up (but haven't used yet) a downhaul for my new-to-me C22, and hadn't considered the top hank would be a poorer choice than the second hank. Still learning! :)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Now I have to hank on sail. I'm constantly struggling with hoisting and bringing down the jib.
You say that as if it is a chore. There is nothing like stepping out on to the bow, in a bit of a blow, secured to the deck by your jack line. The boat bitting into the waves, you handling the sails like a man from the 1800's. It is exhilarating.

It is like you are transported, rounding the Cape.​
Adventuring into a new ocean.​
Into the teeth of the wind you sail.​
Salt spray on your face.​

Or you can rig the down haul, know that you are safe in the cockpit managing to bring the sail down while you prepare to motor into the marina.

It is all about your imagination and the joy you have for sailing...

why should you never use the top hank for the downhaul?
Ben a great question.

If you attach the down haul to the top hank when you tension the downhaul it can cause the hank to twist and bend. This puts friction on the hank against the forestay. There is nothing to guide the sail and hanks down the forestay.

If you use the second hank the first hank acts as the guide to keep the hanks in line running down the forestay. All systems work in harmony.

Nov 22, 2011
Stu, why should you never use the top hank for the downhaul? I just rigged up (but haven't used yet) a downhaul for my new-to-me C22, and hadn't considered the top hank would be a poorer choice than the second hank. Still learning! :)
I'm not Stu, but...sometimes attaching the line to the top hank will cause it to pull cockeyed and bind. Depends on the jib. It might work OK but going down a hank will likely result in a better angle of pull.

Jul 5, 2005
Beneteau 361 Sandusky Harbor Marina
John and Alan (& Stu for mentioning it), thanks so much for that insight. I would never have considered that! :) Soooo good to learn this BEFORE i'm out there solo trying to get the headsail down in a stiff breeze! My first, and only time out so far, with the C22, I had trouble getting the headsail down (no downhaul). I had solo sailed my C25 tons of times, and never had an issue with the hank-on jib coming down after pointing into the wind. On this C22, the headsail (a 150) would only come down maybe halfway before the sail would partially fill again and get held up, while moving me out of irons. :( My outboard was not strong enough to keep the boat motoring into the wind.

Sorry for the hijack!

Nov 22, 2011
John and Alan (& Stu for mentioning it), thanks so much for that insight. I would never have considered that! :) Soooo good to learn this BEFORE i'm out there solo trying to get the headsail down in a stiff breeze! My first, and only time out so far, with the C22, I had trouble getting the headsail down (no downhaul). I had solo sailed my C25 tons of times, and never had an issue with the hank-on jib coming down after pointing into the wind. On this C22, the headsail (a 150) would only come down maybe halfway before the sail would partially fill again and get held up, while moving me out of irons. :( My outboard was not strong enough to keep the boat motoring into the wind.

Sorry for the hijack!
Let us know how it goes after you've tried it.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Will do!
Here's another trick: before you drop your jib, sail on port tack and then heave to. That will leave the boat comfortably almost stationary, with the wind over the starboard bow, and when you drop the jib it will lay on the foredeck with the hanks in the right position to bag it and use the next time, no folding required.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Stu.. you devil... It is like you have been there and got the tee shirt.:beer:

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
The downhaul makes total sense. Maybe that's why I have so many little blocks that came with the boxes and boxes of "stuff" when I bought the boat. More than likely I'll only need the line. Thanks for all the suggestions, reason and guides. This list somehow always has the answers

Aug 19, 2019
C&C 25 mk2 Seneca Lake
I also use hank on head sails, usually have no problem with dousing by turning into wind, but have played around with installing a down haul for convenience when the wind is stronger. This might be a useful resource if you also plan to do the same:

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
I also use hank on head sails, usually have no problem with dousing by turning into wind, but have played around with installing a down haul for convenience when the wind is stronger. This might be a useful resource if you also plan to do the same:

This is the design I used for my downhaul.

Jun 7, 2004
Coronado 35 Lake Grapevine, TX
I didn't see much written about bags. We have 3 sails on our 25, a 150, 110, and a small storm sail. We keep all three in bags that are designed to hold the sail while it's hanked on and left on deck. When we take the sail down, we bag it while it's hanked, even if we're going to take it off.

If we remove the sail, we leave it in the bag, and run a small looped line through the hanks to keep them together. Then, next time we need that sail, the hanks are together, in order, and can be quickly and easily attached.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
When I had the Ranger 29 the sails were hanked on. My wife sewed a bag with instructions from Sailrite for the 135 which is the sail I kept hanked on - the all around sail. It was easy to hoist out of the bag and almost as easy to stow. The sheets would stay attached. If you don't want to pay 5K for a furler this is a pretty usable set up.

• Helpful