C-310 Diagram

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Well, I have sail number 310. The macerator plumbing and seacock location, as shown in the manual, is incorrect. In addition, a Y valve shown in the manual was eliminated with the arrangement in my boat. Some of the wiring is not where it is depicted in the manual. Clearly, changes were made in production and the manual was not updated.

I have some experience with technical manuals. I believe with a minimum of effort, Catalina could have done much better.
Yeah. I guess I can see that. I am just used to boats that worse manuals.

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
Considering the cost, I think good quality, accurate manuals should come with the boat.

Aug 29, 2016
Catalina 2004 310 (Hull #250) BC
What's a check valve? This is what my bilge looks like - yes that 's a Rule floating switch, is that the infamous check valve that I've read about here? If I replace it with an Ultra - which size would fit? Would the 6-1/2" Senior model fit?

Attachments

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
The check valve is under that gray strap in the first picture. I was going to replace my setup too but instead just removed and cleaned the gunk up. My setup is identical to yours, my boat is 100% fresh water so everything in the bilge is still working good.

Apr 9, 2016
Catalina 310 South Haven, MI
I've been going through Amazing Grace making a diagram of the location of various equipment. I thought others might like to have it as a start on where things are in their boats.

I'd be most appreciative if 310 owners would chime in on things I've missed so I can update the diagram. In particular:
- Seacocks. I know I'm missing the seacock for the air conditioner inlet. I've been unable to trace the hose back to it from the filter.
- Other through hulls.
- The fuel cut off switch which is supposed to be somewhere near the fuel tank. If anyone has a photo, please post it.

In the future, as time permits, I'm going to attempt to make another diagram with plumbing lines and then one with electrical wiring. I find the drawings in the owners manual to be lacking. I should live so long. Don't hold your breath!
---------------
I've posted the most recent update, v6, here so you don't need to go searching through the thread (v6 locates the air conditioner water pump)
I just bought my 310 last fall. Thanks for doing this. It is helping a lot.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Uummm... are you sure that 310 is the HULL NUMBER, and not the Catalina model number on the sail? Seems like too much of a coincidence. Just asking.

BillyK

Jan 24, 2010
Catalina 310 Ocean City, NJ
i royally hate the bilge pump setup on the 310. i switched from using a failure prone float switch to a water witch electrical contact system. i also am really unhappy with the size of the pump we can fit.. 800 is terribly undersized imo for these boats.. i'm looking for a solution that gets us over at least 1000GPH. Anyone have any ideas on that?

here's a picture of the Water Witch installed.
IMG-4458.jpg

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 310 Scott Creek, VA
Wow, love that dusty dry clean bilge. A guess you have a dripless shaft seal. I recall a past post and photos where someone added an additional high capacity pump mounted a little higher in the bilge where there is more room that would activate in a flooding condition to give you more time to find the leak, but do not recall who it was.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Wow, love that dusty dry clean bilge. A guess you have a dripless shaft seal. I recall a past post and photos where someone added an additional high capacity pump mounted a little higher in the bilge where there is more room that would activate in a flooding condition to give you more time to find the leak, but do not recall who it was.
I believe that was on Tess Too. They replaced the manual pump with a larger electric. Certain pros and cons to that. He kept the 500 gph for nussiance water and the larger capacity pump actually sat ontop of the keel bolts. So it wouldn't get the bilge all the way dry.

We carry a large capacity manual bilge pump. That's our oh, s#@π plan. We thought about installing a large capacity electric but decided on the manual instead.

The transom laz mounted whale pump is around 1,500 GPH. The emergency manual we carry is 1 gallon per stroke, so that can around 6,000 GPH. We also have a bypass setup on our engine raw water pump with a 10 foot length of hose and a basket. They can me used as an emergency bilge at approximately 420 GPH. So without breaking out the emergency manual we can pump a total of 2,500 GPH. With the manual we would be around 7,000 GPH. Honestly if we are taking on more than that (over 100 GPM coming in) we are in an abandon ship situation.

Jun 19, 2020
Catalina 310 Batemans Bay
G'Day 310ers
Back to the original theme...I've been chatting with KZW about his diagram which he kindly sent me, I plan to use it as a basis for planning stores layout, and mapping of plumbing and electrical layouts (I don't have a C310 yet, but hoping one day). In order to easily manipulate the pieces, we need the diagram in its original format (docx), so KZW gave me permission to host it online and make available to SBO folk: C-310_Diagram_v6_online.docx . It's hosted on Microsoft One Drive as a docx download. You should be able to download to your own device and work on it in MS Word.

Also thanks to KZW, I've created a larger (A3) page essentially as a blank canvas ready to fill-in for whatever purpose I need. It's available here: C-310_Diagram_A3_Baseline_Ungrouped.docx

My thanks to KZW for all the work he put into the diagram. Happy drawing!

Sean from Down Under