series 1 Hunter passage 42 question

eianm

Jul 7, 2010
Hunter 42 Sydney
does anyone know how thick the fiberglass is around the opening ports in the rear master cabin. I want to be able to fir and remove my port visors at will, so am thinking of inserting brass thread serts so i can attach thm with a few grub screws for easy removal when genoa halyards are in use.

Apr 21, 2017
Hunter 42 Passage Punta Gorda
eianm - I can't answer your question definitively as I don't have the aft stateroom ports removed. I do have the internal surround removed because I've been tracking down leaks. (this is a 1991 Hull #95 H42). There's a pretty robust amount of plywood filler between the exterior deck and the interior liner. I'd think it would be OK if your brass thread inserts went into the plywood core - as long as they wouldn't allow water egress.

How are you planning on sealing the removable ports from water it they're removable?
20200605_131105.jpg

eianm

Jul 7, 2010
Hunter 42 Sydney
eianm - I can't answer your question definitively as I don't have the aft stateroom ports removed. I do have the internal surround removed because I've been tracking down leaks. (this is a 1991 Hull #95 H42). There's a pretty robust amount of plywood filler between the exterior deck and the interior liner. I'd think it would be OK if your brass thread inserts went into the plywood core - as long as they wouldn't allow water egress.

How are you planning on sealing the removable ports from water it they're removable?
View attachment 180373
Jim, thnaks very much- this is indeed helpful, thnak you. I have a 1991 hull #73! I have made a bracket out of 1" x3/16" aluminum strip- two layers that i have bonded together with Dow 795.On my solon ports that are fitted into the large perspex panels, I stick this bracket to the perspex unsing 3M double sided glazing tape that is also 3/16" thick. I have then drilled and tapped multiple holes into the lower edge of the bracket and use socket head grub screws to screw down against the small recessed chanel in the port visor edge. I use a 3/16" foam gasket stuck to the port visor as a seal and as the entire lenght of the bracket is sealed via the double sided tape , that provides a perfect rain water barrier, but still allows me to quickly and easily remove the port visors when sailing. On the rear cabin ports i dont want to permanently stick my brackets to the gelcoat- would look awful, so i am thinking of using my brass thread serts to allow me to use more grub screws to attached the bracket. I will take some pics when i am next at the boat and post them.

eianm

Jul 7, 2010
Hunter 42 Sydney
i will post better pics but here are 2- one showing the first bracket i made- have now improved the design and simplified- using DOW 795 only to join the two halves. The idea is for these to keep rain out with ports open- they are not intended to make up for leaking ports, so the pressure of my grub scrws on the edge are enough to provide a rain seal. I do plan to replace the factory double sided tape on the port visors with a single sided closed cell foam gasket, bu its not a high priority as they work well as they are

Attachments