1989 Catalina 30

Jac123

Apr 19, 2019
Catalina 30 Forked River
I have a 1989 Catalina 30 with a faded interior. Any suggestions on the best product to spruce up the wood?

Jan 21, 2009
Catalina 30 Lake Perry, KS
I the prior owner of my boat used Minwax polywipe. I use it to touch up the faded parts, mostly the galley. Easy to use and looks good.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
The C30's have an oil finished interior. Any teak oil will improve the looks but they are normally either linseed or tung oil and we do not like the smell. We have been applying coconut oil to ours for 20 years and they look great and it smells like fresh baked cookies.

Attachments

May 7, 2011
C - 30 # 3573 Lake NormanNC formerly Bflo NY
This topic was recently discussed (and about 20 times previously) over on the ‘official’ IC30A forum on groups io.
And pictures of a recent buff-up.
You might want to check it out.

Jac123

Apr 19, 2019
Catalina 30 Forked River
The C30's have an oil finished interior. Any teak oil will improve the looks but they are normally either linseed or tung oil and we do not like the smell. We have been applying coconut oil to ours for 20 years and they look great and it smells like fresh baked cookies.

May 29, 2020
Catalina 30 Tall Rig Bridgeport
Hi, I am a brand new Catalina 30 '86 owner. Want to refresh my teak interior as well. I am not yet an experienced boater. Can you please clarify regarding applying coconut oil... is it regular (cooking) coconut oil or some special teak coconut oil? Sorry if this is a silly question, I just want to get the right one. Thank you!

Apr 5, 2009
For many years we used to use a commercial teak oil finish that was coconut "scented" and the label said that it was a blend of oils including coconut. When it came time to get more I was unable to find it but a search of the web found this post on coconut oil so we have been using straight cooking coconut oil we get from Costco by the gallon because my wife does all of her baking with coconut oil. It is solid at room temperature and does not apply well when solid. It melts at about 90º and then it soaks in very nicely. Warm some in a small bowl and use a terry or microfiber rag rub it into the wood. I little goes a long way and to you not want to leave any on the surface. It is not like painting because it is a hand-rubbed finish. Application is more Karate Kid then Huck Fin. (Wax on Wax off!) Use a clean dry rag to lightly buff off any excess. When you are done, it should have no surface oil. If you apply too much, you may need to remove the excess with a lightly soapy wash rag.
Coconut oil is highly anti-oxidant and is a natural anti-microbial so it doesn't go rancid like other vegetable oils will.

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
For many years we used to use a commercial teak oil finish that was coconut "scented" and the label said that it was a blend of oils including coconut. When it came time to get more I was unable to find it but a search of the web found this post on coconut oil so we have been using straight cooking coconut oil we get from Costco by the gallon because my wife does all of her baking with coconut oil. It is solid at room temperature and does not apply well when solid. It melts at about 90º and then it soaks in very nicely. Warm some in a small bowl and use a terry or microfiber rag rub it into the wood. I little goes a long way and to you not want to leave any on the surface. It is not like painting because it is a hand-rubbed finish. Application is more Karate Kid then Huck Fin. (Wax on Wax off!) Use a clean dry rag to lightly buff off any excess. When you are done, it should have no surface oil. If you apply too much, you may need to remove the excess with a lightly soapy wash rag.
Coconut oil is highly anti-oxidant and is a natural anti-microbial so it doesn't go rancid like other vegetable oils will.
Does it make your boat smell like the inside of a coconut?

Apr 5, 2009
Does it make your boat smell like the inside of a coconut?
Nope, it makes it smell like fresh baked cookies, at least in our house. We buy it by the gallon for baking. It is a much better smell than tung or linseed!

Apr 16, 2021
Catalina C30 Black Rock, CT
I'm so glad you've posted this here. We have a 1986 C30 that needs some love on the inside. I don't think anything has been done to it... ever? Question: Some of our wood is a bit grimy. I know it needs a cleaning with acetone before we oil, but do you recommend a sanding as well?