Installing Turning Blocks

Aug 17, 2017
Catalina Catalina 30 MKII 5346 Melbourne Yacht Club
In the interest of running all control lines to the cockpit, I need to install turning blocks on or near the bottom of my mast. There are three lines: jiffy reefing, topping lift, and backhaul. On the starboard side, there are two single blocks attached to the mast, one each for the main and jib halyards, attached to the mast with four screws. I have two questions...
Should I drill and thread the mast (it's an O'day 272LE, 1987 vintage) and attach a pad eye there? If not, where and how?
Should I use a triple block or three single blocks?
Thanks!

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Curious what is the purpose of a padeye on the mast?
In answer to your second question I like a triple blocks.

1590074362980.png

Aug 17, 2017
In the absence of a plate at the base of the mast, I need to attached to the deck or the mast. The picture attached shows the starboard side. I need to add the turning blocks on the port side.

Attachments

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
An alternative to drill and thread the mast and attach a padeye with blocks on the mast for the 3 lines you could install Deck mounted Stand Up Blocks similar to what I have if you have room on your deck as shown below (from Rigrite's web site: Sailboat Hardware.

1590083288956.png

Aug 17, 2017
An alternative to drill and thread the mast and attach a padeye with blocks on the mast for the 3 lines you could install Deck mounted Stand Up Blocks similar to what I have if you have room on your deck as shown below (from Rigrite's web site: Sailboat Hardware.

View attachment 179447
Going with the Garhauer equivalent of these. The idea of drilling and tapping the mast was dicey. I could have dropped the mast and added a backing plate, but that makes it WAY more than a project than necessary.
Thanks to all!