Big three open Marina's

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
With 15 people on a boat partying I suspect there are any number of violations, lets start with PFDs, safety equipment, violation of an Executive Order, and BWI? Impound the boat and throw in the hoosegow! That'll learn 'em.

Realistically, if these kind of violations occur, local authorities need to make an example of them to slow others down.
So true. Just used 15 as an example. Seeing 5 guys on a boat all of about the same age might trigger a question warranting a stop by the DNR.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
What if the hoosegow doesn’t have the area it needs for proper distancing? Then, what is accomplished in terms of public health? Nothing. So it becomes a punitive act, and THAT is what is going to get folks riled up.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
What if the hoosegow doesn’t have the area it needs for proper distancing? Then, what is accomplished in terms of public health? Nothing. So it becomes a punitive act, and THAT is what is going to get folks riled up.
I was really talking more figuratively rather than literally, however, hauling them in and if they have been drinking, make some responsible sober person come get them. Give them citations and let them spend some money on lawyers.

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
Boating Restrictions. No more than two persons are allowed in any boat on Hawaiʻi’s waters for recreational purposes unless they are part of a single residential or family unit sharing the same address. Both persons in the boat shall comply as reasonably possible with the social distancing requirements unless they are part of a single residential or family unit sharing the same address. All boats shall maintain a distance of 20 feet from other boats.
In my marina the boats on either side of me are well less than 20' apart!

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I was really talking more figuratively rather than literally, however, hauling them in and if they have been drinking, make some responsible sober person come get them. Give them citations and let them spend some money on lawyers.
Fine. We don’t need lock-down rules to do that. It’s already something law enforcement could do, if intoxication is involved.

Last edited:
May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
i always sail with a crew. hence the boats stays in the shed. where i summer and sail the virus has not hit yet. i assume the the wave of sickness is just delayed. it will show up this summer maybe.

15 people on aeolus: maybe 5 years years ago on a beautiful summer day i took lots of family and friends out for a sail. while waiting for the bridge with about 25 other vessels the local police boat is heading straight for me. they keep coming on a bee line. they pull up 5' away and i said hello. i'm thinking this is an awful time to be inspected, plus what did i do to get picked out of the crowd. the officer explained that it was boater safety week and they noticed that all the kids on board, including teenagers, and the captain were wearing their life jackets and that we were picked to be given coupons for free ice cream cones at Hardee's paid for by the dnr for practicing safe boating. it was great reinforcement for the kids. yeah, i'm a safety geek

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I remember a crowded day on the lake and the cop boat started heading my way. My kids were on the bow but both had their PFD's on. I saw one of the cops checking us out with binoculars and after pointing the binocs at the bow... he said something to the driver and they veer'd off. I guess we passed his test...

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
I

I can see where a state might cite a vessel for dumping sewage as that is, in itself, against federal law. But, I don’t see how it can legally keep vessels from anchoring, or severely restricting it, on federal waterways beyond “don’t anchor on top of underwater cables or pipes”, etc.
Much of Southern Florida along the ICW had somehow usurped our right to anchor, decades ago. When we first cruised the ICW in the late 80's we were surprised by NO ANCHORING signs along the waterway in the Palm Beach area. It seems the legality of these local bans has always been in question but I think various localities down south still restrict and enforce NO anchoring.

It was easy to see why as there were real problems with derelict boats, some occupied, that were the focus of the No anchor areas. Seemed like a social problem that should have been taken care of locally but there was my right to anchor in Federal water, gone.

Bob J.

Apr 14, 2009
Sabre 28 NH
New Hampshire went on record Friday that Marinas are an essential business. Made alot of folks up on lake Winnipaskee & the coast happy.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Kings Gambit, Depositing any raw sewage into Florida waters, regardless of method, is illegal...
(unless you are a waste treatment plant). :huh:

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Kings Gambit, Depositing any raw sewage into Florida waters, regardless of method, is illegal...
(unless you are a waste treatment plant). :huh:
That's not entirely accurate. The Federal Regulations specify that sewage "means human body wastes and the wastes from toilets and other receptacles intended to receive or retain body wastes" and discharge means "includes, but is not limited to, any spilling, leaking, pumping, pouring, emitting, emptying or dumping" (Link to regs here.) Since our bodies are not designed nor intended to receive or retain body wastes, what comes out of our bodies is not sewage until it lands in a receptacle intended to receive or retain body wastes. So, peeing overboard might get you a citation for indecent exposure or public urination, it is not the same as discharging sewage.

Actually Florida law allows the discharge of treated sewage aboard a boat. See this document:

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Notice that the solid human waste deposited directly onto the streets of San Francisco and elsewhere where there are are many homeless is generally referred to as excrement, feces, or poop. Generally, not sewage; which is “waste water and excrement conveyed in sewers.”

BTW, “raw sewage” is untreated sewage, not what you’re (ggrizzard) evidently thinking.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
Back to the original topic. It was stated the marinas are open but are you allowed to go out in boats and if so are there restrictions? Most marinas in Maryland are open as there are considered essential. Recreational boating is NOT allowed. Fishing for "food" is. The real joke is that this includes the ability to pack up to TEN unrelated people in a charter fishing boat so they can fish for "food". The better joke is these 10 unrelated people have to practice social distancing on their charter fishing boat (or any other boat for that matter). Meanwhile you are not allowed to go sailing by yourself or with members of your household. Maryland is typically a common sense state in that regard but this is just plain stupid.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Back to the original topic. It was stated the marinas are open but are you allowed to go out in boats and if so are there restrictions? Most marinas in Maryland are open as there are considered essential. Recreational boating is NOT allowed. Fishing for "food" is. The real joke is that this includes the ability to pack up to TEN unrelated people in a charter fishing boat so they can fish for "food". The better joke is these 10 unrelated people have to practice social distancing on their charter fishing boat (or any other boat for that matter). Meanwhile you are not allowed to go sailing by yourself or with members of your household. Maryland is typically a common sense state in that regard but this is just plain stupid.
Can you go sailing if you troll a fishing line behind your boat?

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Here in Maryland recreational boating ban is still in effect but has been modified.
"You can bring your boat from home to put into your slip/mooring/land store.

You can have your boat launched and put into your slip/mooring (if you have one here at Bay Boat for the summer)

You can have your boat launched and you are allowed to move it to another marina (make sure you check with your marina to see if they will allow you to come in).

You are allowed to travel into Maryland from another state by roadway and waterway to bring your boat to the marina."

DNR is canvassing the upper-Chessy looking for violators and appears DNR is being pretty heavy handed by reports of drilling down on fishermen making sure they are actually keeping their legal catch for consumption. Being able to move your boat from your winter storage area to your summer location will put boaters trying to accomplish this under scrutiny. Being boarded by DNR and put through the ringer about what I'm doing out on the warter is not my idea of fun.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Here in Maryland recreational boating ban is still in effect but has been modified.

DNR is canvassing the upper-Chessy looking for violators and appears DNR is being pretty heavy handed by reports of drilling down on fishermen making sure they are actually keeping their legal catch for consumption. Being able to move your boat from your winter storage area to your summer location will put boaters trying to accomplish this under scrutiny. Being boarded by DNR and put through the ringer about what I'm doing out on the warter is not my idea of fun.
My friends who live there don't call it the PRM (People's Republic of Maryland) for nothing