Water in cabin

Mar 28, 2020
Catalina 310 Annapolis
We had mysterious and fairly large amounts of water intrusion in the cabin when healing aggressively even after closing all the through hulls. Through some trial and error we figured out the source. It was a pin hole leak in the drain hose that runs from the bottom of the anchor locker and the thru-hull drain port that is usually above the water line at the bow of the boat. When healed over seawater was pushed up the drain port hole and into the leaking anchor locker drain hose, filling up the boat with seawater. Lots of water, little scary actually. The water doesn't end up in the bilge until you tack, so a wave water gets sloshed underneath and across the cabin sole.....resulting in pools of water in places that seem impossible. This may be something else for you to look into if the above ideas don't fix your water intrusion issue. I removed the wood panel at the front of the v berth and then used a hose to run water backwards up the anchor locker drain port while the admiral watched from inside, sure enough after a minute or so an obvious hole in the drain hose was located. Installed new drain hose and have had no water intrusion issues after aggressively healing over since.

Please update on this thread when you finally find the leak! Leaks are a challenge to locate, knowing the places to check first saves hours of time and headaches for all of us.

- Chris W

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
We had mysterious and fairly large amounts of water intrusion in the cabin when healing aggressively even after closing all the through hulls. Through some trial and error we figured out the source. It was a pin hole leak in the drain hose that runs from the bottom of the anchor locker and the thru-hull drain port that is usually above the water line at the bow of the boat. When healed over seawater was pushed up the drain port hole and into the leaking anchor locker drain hose, filling up the boat with seawater. Lots of water, little scary actually. The water doesn't end up in the bilge until you tack, so a wave water gets sloshed underneath and across the cabin sole.....resulting in pools of water in places that seem impossible. This may be something else for you to look into if the above ideas don't fix your water intrusion issue. I removed the wood panel at the front of the v berth and then used a hose to run water backwards up the anchor locker drain port while the admiral watched from inside, sure enough after a minute or so an obvious hole in the drain hose was located. Installed new drain hose and have had no water intrusion issues after aggressively healing over since.

Please update on this thread when you finally find the leak! Leaks are a challenge to locate, knowing the places to check first saves hours of time and headaches for all of us.

- Chris W
I have recognized the anchor locker drain as a potential source of water intrusion, and check the hose each spring before launch. Thanks for putting out the reminder to all of us C310 owners.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I need to figure out the fresh water source in the aft area of the aft bilge area. It is very clean and clear so I think there must be a fresh water fitting leaking some place. I checked the bow area very good, it is dry and dusty so that is out.

Mar 28, 2020
Catalina 310 Annapolis
Hello JRT, have had sweet water aft intrusion twice. If the fresh water intrusion only occurs with the water pressure pump on, try checking the water line connections behind the outside shower access panel. If fresh pressure pump isn’t kicking on and plumbing system pressurizes when not in use, the emergency tiller access window is also a potential culprit. Rain water, wash down water, all flows across that hatch on the way overboard. Covering the emergency tiller hatch with large square cover of masking tape and observing if water intrusion reduces is a test if leaking tiller hatch is the issue.
- Chris W

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I need to figure out the fresh water source in the aft area of the aft bilge area. It is very clean and clear so I think there must be a fresh water fitting leaking some place. I checked the bow area very good, it is dry and dusty so that is out.
I have found two sources of fresh water leaks aft. One is the water heater when the output hose warms up and slips off the barb. The other is the outside shower when the faucets aren't turned off all the way.

Jan 17, 2013
Catalina 310 St. Simons Island, GA
I continue to be interested in pictures from anyone who has successfully drilled holes in the base of their mast to enable water to drain out instead of flowing into the bilge.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
So I checked both areas that @Tom J and @S/V Tenacious and everything was dry and dusty with no water leaks or evidence. The water is between the fridge and head area for sure. We don't use the shower and nothing is leaking in the head, shower or sink lines. Lines under the galley sink are also dry too. I can't tell if some leaks come from the fridge/freezer which is always on and I did check for water in the fridge drain and it was clear and seemed fine.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
So I checked both areas that @Tom J and @S/V Tenacious and everything was dry and dusty with no water leaks or evidence. The water is between the fridge and head area for sure. We don't use the shower and nothing is leaking in the head, shower or sink lines. Lines under the galley sink are also dry too. I can't tell if some leaks come from the fridge/freezer which is always on and I did check for water in the fridge drain and it was clear and seemed fine.
The water line from the tank to the pump is in the bilge area you mentioned. If you lift the trash can out of it's cubbyhole, you can access the main water line and the tees for hot and cold water to the sink. Good luck!

Apr 5, 2019
Catalina 310 323 Brooklyn, NY
My 310 collects fresh water in the bilge after rain. Even on the hard right now.
is that normal?

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
My 310 collects fresh water in the bilge after rain. Even on the hard right now.
is that normal?
There is another thread about the inmast furling system on the C310 leaking rain water into the bilge when the wind is from the aft direction. Do you perhaps have the inmast furler?

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
The water is between the fridge and head area for sure.

My fridge has a fair bit of condensate forming on the sides and back, it tends to collect behind the fridge somewhere and when I sail it will leak down onto the floor, sometimes it runs under the oven then eventually down to the floor. This will end up in the bilge at some point. Not a lot, but it's there.

Cheers
dj