Boatyard shut down due to COVID

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Oak Harbor WA marina is closed to the general public but accessible with the gate cards. They have limited staff and little or no access to fuel. They are closed to transient boats.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
We have been sequestered with our 2 Grandkids ages 4 and 6 For 2 weeks. Those little Petri-Dishes got me thinking.

Be Safe... Go Industrial...
556C1B96-BAE8-4F85-950E-DC620A3453BF.jpeg

Ps... The box said good against aerial sprays... Figured it might reduce the chance of viral coughs and sneezes. Then my wife said. “How you going to brush your teeth?”

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Having spent all winter with our 1 &5 year old grand kids I can tell you that you are not prepared. Where is your full face shield? o_O

Dec 31, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 351 Charlottetown
The guidelines we have here in NY are to limit contact, no large groups a large group being defined as 3 people, and keep 6 feet away. Once at the marina, I'm the only one on the boat. Along the way, I bought gas at a self-serve gas station and a sandwich at the grocery market. At the market, I and most if not all people entering used hand sanitizer. At the check out the belt was sanitized before I put the sandwich container on it and the CC reader was sanitized before I used it. The Cashier asked that I stay 6 feet away until I paid and picked up the sandwich and left. I was never less than 3 feet from anyone and then only for a few seconds.

The probability that I transmitted the virus was exposed to the virus is exceedingly low under those conditions. So, yes I was willing to take the chance. At 68 I am in one of the higher risk groups.
You have almost 35,000 cases in your state alone, more then 10 times the amount of any other, do you not get that? or is going to your boat more important?

Last edited:

BillyK

Jan 24, 2010
Catalina 310 Ocean City, NJ
You have almost 35,000 cases in your state alone, more then 10 times the amount of any other, do you not get that? or is going to your boat more important?
This can be debated either way for infinity. The reality is, it depends on your situation. My situation is that i could have taken a 5 minute drive and been at the boat with no personal contact whatsoever. Others may have to walk a thin dock for 200' and pass 20 people to get to their boat. Once you are on the water, i cant imagine a better place to be right now.. so this is completely situational.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
There are about 460,000 people who live in my county (Onondaga). Of that 460,000 people, only 111 (as of yesterday) have been diagnosed with Covid--19. The probablity of me coming in contact with any one of the is 111/460,000 or .02413%. It is extremely unlikely that I came in contact with anyone who was infected.

The largest concentration of Covid-19 cases in NY is in and around he NYC metro area. The problem in NYC is one of demography. NYC, especially Manhattan is has a higher population density than any other city in the World. From a recent article by Paul Krugman:

And this measure shows that New York is in a class of its own, with the average resident living in a census tract with more than 31,000 people per square mile. (My own neighborhood has about 60,000 people per square mile.) That’s two-and-a-half times the density in San Francisco or L.A., four times the density of Chicago.

In contrast to NYC, my county has a population density of about 580 people per square mile. In NYC, there are hundreds if not thousands who live in the same building, using the same elevators, walking through the same lobbies using the same doors. The probability of coming in contact with an infected person is considerably higher. Thus the transmission rates in NYC are much higher there than elsewhere in the state. To help slow the transmission rates, the state and city are considering closing some streets to vehicles so that people can spread out and avoid contact.

The spread of any pathogen is all about numbers and concentrations of people. Frequent contact with others in larger groups in smaller enclosed settings will increase the probability of the pathogen spreading. Throw in some hugging, kissing, and handshaking the transmission rate goes up, add alcohol and a beach party and the rate will accelerate. Mix in some youthful and ignorant "It can't happen to me" thinking and the rate goes up again.

Taking sensible precautions, like sanitizing things, maintaining physical distance, and limiting contact will slow the spread. And that which is reasonable and sensible in my low population density county is vastly different than what is reasonable and sensible in a high density area, such as NYC, Boston, Toronto, Wuhan, and other large cities.

I'm pretty isolated driving in my truck and sitting in my boat. No real difference between that and staying home.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I winter in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, It has an area of 3730 sq mi and 1.7 million people
about 455 people per sq mi. As of yesterday Virginia had 460 cases state wide. my county within Hampton roads had 49 of them. or 10.6% in an area of 179 sq mi. 49/179= 0.27 cases/sq mi

Compared to the county in Michigan where I keep my boat The population is 24427 and the number of cases is currently one, or 0.00000041%)in a total county area of 1281 sq mi. (Total cases in Michigan right now is 3000 mostly around the Detroit area. Michigan population overall is 9.9 million 3,000/9,900,000= 0.00000303 %)
I would say that I would be safer in my marina up there Than I am here,

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Hhmmm... Just saw a neighbor tonight who was told by Bert Jabinns Yard they could not launch his boat, even though it was sceduled. May need a closer look at that one?
Jabins will, with social distancing restrictions, launch and un-launch boats. They sent out a revised notice.

I'm not sure if any of the service firms at the yard are providing life-safety service.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
In Long Beach, CA the marinas are still open. We in the downtown marina are surrounded by a park. No issues that I could see with social distancing in the marina and the walkers/joggers/scooters/rollerbladers/bikers seemed to be doing the same except, of course, family. We took our food in, had enough gas in the car for a round trip and did not use the public restrooms. Feeling very fortunate to have this available for us; plenty of projects to keep me busy.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
In my earlier post, I took an actuarial approach to visiting my boat. What I didn't acknowledge is every one has a different risk tolerance and the virus poses a different threat to each of us. My post did not reflect those important factors. A friend and marina neighbor has been treated for cancer and is quite immunocompromised, he and his family have to take different and more stringent protections against bringing the virus home.

One of the challenges of this pandemic is accurately assessing risk. On the one hand we can't be cavalier and go on as if it were the common cold, on the other hand we shouldn't act as though the world is going to end. From my reading, I've come to understand the Covid-19 virus represents a greater threat than the current flu virus, but it is not as deadly as an Ebola virus. Most people who are infected have mild to moderate symptoms and most recover without being hospitalized. There is a group who will become sick enough to warrant hospitalization, however, we have not conducted enough tests to accurately predict that number. Of those who are hospitalized, most will recover. Finally there is a group of primarily older adults who are in poor health or have compromised immune systems who are at greatest risk.

If you are someone who is more risk averse and chose to completely self-isolate, I respect that decision. If you are someone who is less risk averse and understands the probability of acquiring or transmitting the virus and takes more moderate action, like visiting your boat in a marina, then I have no criticism of your behavior, it is what I did and will do. However, if you are one of the "spring breakers" or fragrantly violate reasonable precautions, then I ask you to stop, as you are putting others at risk.

This is the kind of behavior that is both ignorant and places the rest of us at risk:

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
two friends of mine, a couple, very heathy, 70, were in spain three weeks ago. got fevers. ran to the airport. flew back to toledo area. both positive. they live in the next county over. they called their docs. the docs said "don't come here". they called the hospitals and they said "don't come here". they stayed home, in the country. fevers over 105 each. very ill. they are on the rebound, ish. the public records did not show any cases for the virus for two weeks in their county. fact: there was a two week lag time between when i knew to when it was shown on public record statements. i have family that works in stat offices at the big hospital here. the virus is not her area of concern. that said. the hospital is very busy, getting the stats to the public is not priority one. i believe the government too is overwhelmed with priorities as well as concerned with public panic, is slow to publish the facts.
i suggest to you statistic guys that your figures are a couple of weeks behind. this virus is exploding. just be careful my friends is all i'm trying to say.
the hospital does report to the government, they don't report to the press is what i believe to be true. the government has to be very worried about panic as well as true telling. i do not know which is best. quite a fine line i suppose.
just sharing some facts and some thoughts, jon

Last edited:

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I contacted my marina. The office is closed but the yard is working. They took my work order to launch my boat the week of April 13. Now to reinstall my alternator and paint the bottom and I'll be ready.
I can get to the boat and work on it with no contact with others so I feel there is little risk.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I contacted the local marina that I prefer to use and was informed they have been deemed a NON essential service so are mandated to be closed until the situation improves. There are places in Canada that have announced that business’s and individuals can be fined substantially for not practicing “safe distancing”.

I moved from keel boat (crane launch) to trailer a few years ago and moor near enough to my home that I can use a dinghy to go back and forth so sailing logically isn’t affected.
However I also have a power boat I keep on a lift at home and I don’t own a trailer for it. In 2017 and again in 2019 I rented a slip at the marina as Lake Ontario water levels were so high that the boat wasn’t safe at home. Based on the current and projected lake levels I will have to move the boat somewhere this year and it’s likely all the marinas are/might be closed so I might have to buy a trailer. Hmmmm

As far as getting out on the water I find that I’m conflicted about what the “right” thing to do is.

I’m in a position that once I have the sailboat in the water at the boat ramp I won’t have to be in contact with anyone, UNLESS I have an emergency and require assistance. Something I can try to prevent by safe practices but can’t completely eliminate. Is it fair that I potentially burden the “rescue system” when there is “essential” shipping/fishing etc. happening Hmmmm.

There is also the appearance of being callous as people on shore who may be abiding by a “stay at home” policy seeing me out on the water having fun. Am I going to feel good or guilty Hmmmm.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
As far as getting out on the water I find that I’m conflicted about what the “right” thing to do is.

I’m in a position that once I have the sailboat in the water at the boat ramp I won’t have to be in contact with anyone, UNLESS I have an emergency and require assistance. Something I can try to prevent by safe practices but can’t completely eliminate. Is it fair that I potentially burden the “rescue system” when there is “essential” shipping/fishing etc. happening Hmmmm.

There is also the appearance of being callous as people on shore who may be abiding by a “stay at home” policy seeing me out on the water having fun. Am I going to feel good or guilty Hmmmm.

That was kinda my thinking so far, but we're still locked in by ice in Georgian Bay so is a mute point. But, yes, if you need assistance you end up putting stress on an overly stressed out system. Hard to say. Although, of course if you do cross the "line" you'll have been deemed to have travelled outside the country and mandatory 14 day isolation..... :biggrin:

Dr. D

Nov 3, 2018
Beneteau Oceanis 35.1 Herrington Harbour North
Both of the governors of Virginia and Maryland stated several types of outdoor recreational facilities may remain open, including marinas. If they -- with the advice they have available -- say this is OK I'm guessing that going to the marina is OK.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
That was kinda my thinking so far, but we're still locked in by ice in Georgian Bay so is a mute point. But, yes, if you need assistance you end up putting stress on an overly stressed out system. Hard to say. Although, of course if you do cross the "line" you'll have been deemed to have travelled outside the country and mandatory 14 day isolation..... :biggrin:
Somewhat conflicting messages that seem to morph as time passes.

Government “official” said recently on TV “Go home and Stay home” “it’s your
Opportunity to do your duty” pretty clear messaging!

Other government “officials” say its vital that you take care of yourself and it’s OK to go out for fresh air, exercise, mental health etc. Another pretty clear message but not entirely consistent with the “stay home” one.

I guess we each have to make our own choices about how to interpret the data and messaging, apply common sense and think about our society as a whole.