360 Vancouver Island 2020 Cruise Closed SEE 360 Vancouver Island 2022 Cruise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
It makes sense that island communities would protect themselves by not allowing visitors for quite some time, even after travel restrictions may be lifted. Hadn't thought about that. They have a way to isolate themselves which we don't have on mainland US.

I'm hoping that by June non essential business closures and travel restrictions will be lifted but I do see "social distancing" and sanitation procedures continuing through the summer. This may allow sailors to get on the water this season even if we have to adapt to restricted social functions that surround our sailing activities.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
That is a long closure. Will teachers get paid with out students to teach?

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
I believe teachers are paid by the year, so I guess they are good 'til the end of June. Not to sure how it will effect students however.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
That is a long closure. Will teachers get paid with out students to teach?
John, generally in Canada full time teachers are paid a salary spread over 12 months. So yes teachers would be paid even w/o students to teach. BC‘s schools (K-12) are currently on their scheduled spring break. The teacher’s union and Ministry of Education will meet this Monday to determine the path to take in the short term. As of yet, BC school’s have not formally announced a shut down for any length of time.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
I quite likely heard reporters speculating and thought it was reporting. Must learn to pay closer attention to the news.

Oct 22, 2014
While the school teacher arrangement is the same hear, the funding for salaries is tied to the student attendance. No attendance no student funds. Like public employees they can get furloughed, with and without pay. Depends on the district and their union agreement. Short term is one thing, long term a different animal.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Instructional faculty are paid 12 mo based on a 9-mo salary. So, during summer they are paid with money culled from their 9-mo salary; it has already been earned. One reason is to allow continued payment of monthly health insurance premiums over summer which are deducted from the pay checks (employee portion). In states where instructional faculty are paid their full 9-mo salary in 9 mo, summer premiums have to be deducted in advance to continue summer coverage, etc., as there would be no continuing pay check to support those deductions. It’s just easier on everybody to continue the pay checks through summer.

Last edited:

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Well, it's been said... rain date of 2021... The dang virus has killed several things that I'd wanted to do this year. I guess it's not over til it's over, but it's not looking good at this point.

I am really disappointed... But, take a look at what's happening in Italy - we sure don't want to get to there...

dj

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Schools closed here for the second week and will remain through April 24. District employees under contract including this one continue to get paid. Except going out for essentials, and of course sailing, our family chose to self-isolate. So far so good enjoying the brief break from my second joyful career taking kids to school each day. Never much cared for the non-working retiree life. When the District decides to take away the bus keys, my third career of full time sailing awaits, pending Times Up?, that is.

Oct 22, 2014
Yes Terry. Retirement does not mean a vegetative existence. Out to pasture condition.

It means to me finding time for meaningful activity. For some that is work. Others play activities. I’m still working on it and exploring the options.

Dec 25, 2000
Back in the day, when life was very young, working on a milk farm was. well, smelly and never ending hard work. Today I look back on those days fondly. The joy of shoveling out the manure trough, getting splashed with cow urine and splattered with runny spring cow manure. Maybe I should buy a small milk farm, eh? :banghead:

Dec 25, 2000
Agree Michael. Best to leave them as fond memories at this age. Although my grandmother, bless her heart, ran this small milk farm until she broke her hip from a rambunctious calf at age 94. Our help kept this farm going for her as her only source of income.

Oct 22, 2014
Sorry Terry.

I had no idea my “Out Pasture” comment would strike such a chord. Having been there. having done that (at the age of 14)... It is better to say “Thanks for the memories”... as Bob used to say...

Dec 25, 2000
No problemo, John. Had many fond memories cruising on the Kitty Hawk, too. But fat chance will want to purchase a flat top at this age just to relive my youth. What a bugger of a move.

Oct 22, 2014
fat chance will want to purchase a flat top at this age
Yes I can imagine with the Bus Driver salary might be a bit of a pinch... But just imagine the parties and space for friends socially distanced. It would be quite the party boat.... Even if it was dull gray...

Dec 25, 2000
Sadly, once a beauty, now in Bremerton being slowly dismantled for scrap.

Oct 22, 2014
:(
I think I saw her last summer from the marina in Port Orford.

Status
Not open for further replies.