Installing shore power battery charger on O'day 28

Nov 25, 2018
Oday 28 Wiscasset, ME
Hi I have a 1985 O'Day 28. It has the original AC power setup, which is a shore power inlet to an AC distribution panel in the galley that only powers 2 electrical outlets, one in the galley and one in the head, and the hot water heater. I have in mind to install a battery charger (Promariner or similar) and I want to connect it to the shore power. I have two 12V AGM batteries with the trusty old Guest 1-2-both-off switch, which I am not going to replace at this point because I love the boat but I'm not putting more money into at this stage than necessary.

I am not an electrician; I could pay somebody but I want to do it myself, and looking for guidance on how to hook the charger up. My understanding is I need to connect the charger to the AC distribution panel. I haven't taken it off to look behind it yet, but on the front it has an on/off switch for water heater, another for outlets, and a spot that says "spare". My guess is that I need to connect the charger to whatever is behind the spare slot, and perhaps get a switch for that?

For most projects on this boat I have no difficult finding info on how to do it online, and I have done almost everything without screwing up too bad. But on this I cant seem to find anything. Has anyone here connected a charger to one of these old O'Day AC panels?

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
For most projects on this boat I have no difficult finding info on how to do it online, and I have done almost everything without screwing up too bad. But on this I cant seem to find anything. Has anyone here connected a charger to one of these old O'Day AC panels?

This may help: Installing a Marine Battery Charger (LINK)

The breaker you're looking for, to fit that slot, would be a Blue Sea Systems model #7210. You would then need 14/3 Triplex Marine Wire (White, Black & Green in one jacket) to get over to the charger. As Stu said start out with Charlie Wing's book and spend some time on MarineHowTo.com as well..

Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
None of us was born an electrician. That's why most of us, who ALL started out where you now are, bought books and studied the subject. You really should buy a few boating electrical books. Start with Charlie Wing's:
https://www.amazon.com/Boatowners-Il...s%2C432&sr=8-3
Adding to Stu's comment that some of us took courses in marine electrical tech - Such courses are available through your local Marine Trades Association, or through ABYC. I attended the an ABYC and a Massachusetts MTA course, and I know that Rhode Island MTA offers such a course.