Barient 10 winch removal/replacing

KeithD

Feb 25, 2011
Beneteau 42 Alameda
I have a 1985 Capri 22. I would like to remove a set of older Barient 10 winches so I can replace them with a set of new Harken 14 self tailing winches. The Barients don't seem to have circlips or split rings on top to help remove the drum...which needs to happen to access the mounting bolts. The thru deck mounting bolts/nuts are spinning under the deck so can't remove from below. Also, I imagine I'll have to tap new holes for the larger diameter winch base. Anyone been there, done that? Thx!

Attachments

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
This might work. It is how I get off the Barlow 16's on my mast. Have you tried pushing down the plunger in the hole for the winch handle. Stick your finger in there, or use a dowel, to push down on the plunger. While you are pushing down on the plunger the top cap should be released which should allow you to remove the drum. Watch for falling small parts.

Yes, you will probably have to drill new holes for the new winch base.

Attachments

KeithD

Feb 25, 2011
Beneteau 42 Alameda
This might work. It is how I get off the Barlow 16's on my mast. Have you tried pushing down the plunger in the hole for the winch handle. Stick your finger in there, or use a dowel, to push down on the plunger. While you are pushing down on the plunger the top cap should be released which should allow you to remove the drum. Watch for falling small parts.

Yes, you will probably have to drill new holes for the new winch base.
Richard, Thanks for your time and suggestion. I didn't realize I had the #10P, not the #10 or #10H. It worked! Who would have known it would be so simple...YOU DID. Thanks again! - Keith

Kupe

Feb 28, 2021
Hunter 36 Lake Lanier
Hi Keith- read your post with great interest. My 1984 Tartan 28 also has the non-self-tailing single speed Barient 10 halyard winches. Curious how your refit with Harken 14 self-tailing winches went? I would dearly love to refit with two-speed self tailing winches, but space is quite constrained. The Barient 10 has a base diameter of 110mm, and I don' think I could go much above 120mm. And with that said, I can't find any winch, current or past, that is two-speed with that size constraint.

Well, before I go on too long, just wondered how your re-winching went. In particular any thoughts on bedding and reinforcing for new holes, etc?

Cheers!