San Juan 26 centreboard

Dec 4, 2017
san juan 26 Owen Sound
hi ....my first post!
ok...I just picked up a SJ26.....the previous owner nailed a rock with her and managed to bust off the tube that the centreboat winch attatches to ....anyone ever dealt with this? I figure I can remove the stub of the post { it is bolted to the sole}...weld a new pipe onto it ...and put everything back the way it was ....just wondering if anyone has had to do this ...and how it worked out

thanks
Richard

Jul 1, 2015
san juan 26 Boonville boat club
Sorry for the slow response. I missed your post. Not to many San Juan 26 around. On my sj26 the tube and base are threaded 1 1/2" galvanized pipe. Should be available at Lowes, home depot, or any plumbing supply.

Dec 4, 2017
san juan 26 Owen Sound
Thanks....i will give that a try...
Tell me about your boat!(excited to find another sj 26owner)...where do you sail?

Jul 1, 2015
san juan 26 Boonville boat club
Ours is a 1977. Bought it 3 years ago. We are on the Ohio river in southern Indiana . I have basically had the boat completely apart so if you have any questions just ask. I also have the owners manual if you need a copy.

Feb 25, 2020
San Juan 26 Des Moines
Hi Richard and Jason, and the rest of the community.
I too am newly into a San Juan 26. Mines got a fixed keel and a single cylinder diesel. Any experience with, or knowledge about this model?
Does your manual cover this model? I am very interested to see a manual, and learn more about this boat, thru more methods than just the hard way. ;). Lol.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
learn more about this boat, thru more methods than just the hard way. ;). Lol.
Welcome @Giminey to the forum of sail boat owners helping each other. Got like a guy who shares a joke in his first post and then laughs at his joke about him. :beer:

Depending on the motor you can often find a manual using a google search for the specific motor. Unlike a car motors for boats are purchased items by the boat builder and then added to the boat.
You may find someone has uploaded a correct manual in San Juan Sailboats

Good luck with your new boat. And post a picture of your new friend. That way I we see you in the water we can blow a horn and salute you.

Feb 25, 2020
San Juan 26 Des Moines
Hi jssailem.
Thanks for the warm welcome, and the link to fall down. They’re all rabbit holes aren’t they?

Been poking around a bit, and this posting is the most active I’ve found so far.
A1BAFF61-5844-426C-B577-6DEA0682F090.jpeg
6FABEFF2-6ABC-43CD-970E-36B4754313F5.jpeg

Here are the pics from finding her for sale, and hooking her up the first time to my rig. Managed to get home safely, and am now getting ready to give her a thorough work over.

Haven‘t stepped the mast yet, but that’s going to be my first project now that I’ve got her in my yard. Make sure all the standing and running rigging’s good, Then verify all the through hull fittings, see if I can get the motor on line, then its gonna be straight into the drink.

Ill be looking for friends out there in the Sound.

Welcome @Giminey to the forum of sail boat owners helping each other. Got like a guy who shares a joke in his first post and then laughs at his joke about him. :beer:

Depending on the motor you can often find a manual using a google search for the specific motor. Unlike a car motors for boats are purchased items by the boat builder and then added to the boat.
You may find someone has uploaded a correct manual in San Juan Sailboats

Good luck with your new boat. And post a picture of your new friend. That way I we see you in the water we can blow a horn and salute you.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
She is a good looking boat.
The fun is just beginning.
I’ll be looking for her on the water. Here’s a picture of my Hadley. Taken two years ago.
7E716DF3-A471-486A-B676-A75882FAF8AD.jpeg

We are in the Port of Everett Marina. This was taken in the Juan D’Fuca looking south towards the Olympics in May. Yes that is Snow on them there hills.

Apr 27, 2021
San Juan 26 Salmon Arm
Hey all I just became a first sailboat owner. It's a San Juan 26. 1976. Previous owner has taken good care of her, but a storm in 2019 damaged her centerboard. it's the retractable centerboard model. I'd like to drop the centerboard out and get it repaired. Did you end up doing this Richard? It looks like the pivot bolt runs through the keel. Can it be punched out or how does one remove the centerboard?

Jul 24, 2021
San juan 26 Lake pleasant.
Charles here. 1975 san juan 26 center board. Picked mine up last year. The centerboard was stuck in the keel. The bad news is in order to replace the pin for the centerboard the keel has too be cut open. Not an easy task. About 900 dollars later my centerboard is functional. Its a very delicate and dangerous endeavor, watching the gentleman work on this thing while up on racks was scary. There is a ceramic like coating a few inches thick surrounding the swing keel keeping it centered this material cracked and chunks of it hung up the swing keel. Super common for this exact boat. For the most part the swing keel isn't needed unless you plan on pushing the capabilities of the boat. I do just that have had mine up too 9 knots. With a 170 genoa in 25 knots of wind. Exciting to say the least. I learned to sail on a catalina 22 . this boat popped up and i had too have it. I am not sorry for the 5 k i have into it. Well worth the money in my opinion. But i have a.cruiser in the desert. Lmao lake pleasant isn't tiny tho takes all day to sail one side to the other and back. Not sure what it would cost you in your neck of the woods probably the only way tho..