Replace shaft and cutlass

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
When I ordered our shaft from Deep Blue, I emailed Mike about the measurements on the 1" shaft. He responded, "The taper is 2-3/4” long and the extension beyond the taper for threads and cotter pin hole is 1-3/4”.

That agreed with the drawing I found online for SAEJ755.

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Yea, Mine is the same. Need about .005 taken off the I/D of the coupling or off the shaft to get it to slide on.
FYI, with the cutlass bearing out I can slide the new shaft in, just clears the rudder on the port side.

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
I created a tool using a drill some pipe fittings and emery paper to accomplish reducing the shaft .dia by ~.005 on the coupling end. She fits spot on now. I then used some 1" bearing mounts and rotated the assembly and checked for run out. It was less than .0002. No need to face it as I suspected. Ready to re-install. Saved myself $120 to have it done at Deep Blue.

Attachments

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
FYI, with the cutlass bearing out I can slide the new shaft in, just clears the rudder on the port side.
I'm hoping I have the same luck on our 350 when I put it back together this spring. Rumor has it, I should be able to do the same. I cut the shaft last fall, when I took it out, as I was unable to remove the cutless bearing with the shaft in place. Ours had the non-metalic outer case which just broke apart when I tried to wiggle it out. As it was, I had to cut it out after the shaft was out, so good thing I did't waste much time trying to save the shaft.