New Sails oday 39?

May 1, 2019
oday 39 39 Jacksonville fl
Hi, I am starting to look into getting new sail. I only have experience sailing with dacron sails up to now, looking for suggestion.. We sail in the non spin or cruising class, or Portsmouth (since so few boats have been showing up lately) at the local clubs here in Jacksonville Fl. We do about 1- 2 races a month, we also try to do a race week event once a year and an occasional cruise every once in as while, but most of our cruising is done just going to and from these races. Non of these race are anything very serious so I dont think I need the most high tech racing material out there, but I really do want to be competitive, and sail the boat at least to her rating. I'm looking for sails that will last hold a good shape (not something I will have to replace in a year or 4) and that can stay on the boom and furling, and last for some years, and I'm also hoping not to break the bank. I have some quotes started but haven't heard back yet, and wanted to get your opinions, I have kind of been looking into the DP liteskin products and NS dpi products a little but am not sure how much those will cost and if the are something should be looking at in the first place .Thank you

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Have you talked to Schurr Sails in Pensacola? They built our most recent new sail, which we used in winning our club championship trophy for this season. They took the time to listen to what we said about longevity, performance and price, and provided answers that met our needs on each issue. We first learned about them about a dozen years ago when I bought a used set of sails from a Floridian whose J/36 had been destroyed in a hurricane. We won our club championship with those sails too. We used a local sailmaker for a new suit when we went a to roller-furler, but went back to Schurr when we wanted better performance.

May 1, 2019
Have you talked to Schurr Sails in Pensacola? They built our most recent new sail, which we used in winning our club championship trophy for this season. They took the time to listen to what we said about longevity, performance and price, and provided answers that met our needs on each issue. We first learned about them about a dozen years ago when I bought a used set of sails from a Floridian whose J/36 had been destroyed in a hurricane. We won our club championship with those sails too. We used a local sailmaker for a new suit when we went a to roller-furler, but went back to Schurr when we wanted better performance.
No, I will check with them Monday. What kind of material did you end up going with, and is it something that can stay on the boat.

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
I recently purchased new sails for my C&C 110 that has similar rig dimensions as your boat. I do occasional inland cruising/day sailing and more racing than you do. The main has a Dutchman sail flaking system and the headsail is on a roller furler. They are tri-radial design and made with Dimension Polyant Carbon Sport with LiteSkin. Quantum Sails Rochester was the sailmaker. Although these sails are lighter than my previous laminate sails, they should be more durable because of the LiteSkin. They are more expensive than Dacron but not as expensive as Dimension Polyant's GPL with LiteSkin or moulded sails. Carbon Sport with LS will hold their shape much longer than Dacron. You can be competitive with Dacron for a couple of years and then the design shape will begin to change.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
No, I will check with them Monday. What kind of material did you end up going with, and is it something that can stay on the boat.
I think we went with Pentex. The Aesthetic Committee insisted that we have white sails. Schurr’s description was like this:
PX15st and PX10st (6.3oz & 5.5oz) – Polyester base fibers – white fabric with white dacron taffeta on one side. So it would be shiny white (film) on one side and dull white(taffeta) on the other.
They also offered a gray/black carbon-type that was $1000 more.
The sail absolutely stays on the boat, and continues to look good and perform well, three years after we got it.

May 1, 2019
Update, After a lot of talking with Schurr and North. Both recommend to Dacron, North quoted me both cross cut and radial sails, Schurr quoted a full batten cross cut main and radial headsail. I decided on the full batten cross cut main with radial cut 135 genoa, I liked Schurr's recommendation. I decided to go with North, mainly because the Peter at North is pretty local and as it turns out has built sails for just about everyone I know in my area. More importantly he is available to come out and take the measurements, and them deliver the sails and help me get them set up properly. If Schurr was available to do the same this would have been an even tougher decision, and I fully understand why he cannot come to the boat.
I will add some finds incase someone else is looking to buy sails and could use the info.
-So North makes their own fabrics, I think all other sail makers buy their fabrics from a few different manufactures, such as DP. I am not sure which fabric is better, of each will tell you their fabric is the better for their own reasons, I am sure that they each make a great product.
-Each sail maker expects I will get 5-7 years of good shape out of these sails, with the sailing I do.
-Since I was not 100% sure about the condition of sails I have now. I took a bunch of pictures for the sailmakers. Both agreed the sails were bad. North sent some of the pics back marked up to help me understand where the issues were. I didn't ask Schurr for that level of detail I'm sure he would have done the same for me if I had asked.
-The sail will be designed here and built in Sri Lanka. This was offered by both sail makers.
-Other quotes, there are a lot of company's out there and I probably could have saved a couple grand just doing an over the phone sail order from a company like precision, or honk kong sail. For me this is too much money to just gamble on getting a good sail. I think North is one of the only big companies that could come out to my boat, if that was not the case, I probably would have also sough quotes from some of the other big names sailmakers.
- Price both quotes came in around $8500 for the set, I'm not sure how good or bad this is, I think for the service I am getting it is pretty standard.
To end this I will say the level of service I have gotten from North and Shurr sail has been to this point has been very good.
If you have any comments or experience with this please share. Thanks...