Engine cover/stairs

BillyK

Jan 24, 2010
Catalina 310 Ocean City, NJ
I've been doing all this work on the engine mounts/trans/driveline/etc.. And i'm looking at this engine box molded out of fiberglass and cant help but see just how much space there is around the starboard size of the engine along with a bunch of wasted space for the bottom step.. There is also a lot of room in the area over the engine also.. Has anyone thought of or built out a custom engine box to waste less room in the cabin? i can see where the ventilation could be improved as well with more direct venting to pull air away from the top of the engine and out the back of the boat... and also put in vent lines to provide cool fresh air as well... i'd think something built out of the same wood as the rest of the interior would improve the looks as well..

anyone have any thoughts on this?

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I've been doing all this work on the engine mounts/trans/driveline/etc.. And i'm looking at this engine box molded out of fiberglass and cant help but see just how much space there is around the starboard size of the engine along with a bunch of wasted space for the bottom step.. There is also a lot of room in the area over the engine also.. Has anyone thought of or built out a custom engine box to waste less room in the cabin? i can see where the ventilation could be improved as well with more direct venting to pull air away from the top of the engine and out the back of the boat... and also put in vent lines to provide cool fresh air as well... i'd think something built out of the same wood as the rest of the interior would improve the looks as well..

anyone have any thoughts on this?
Interesting idea, but The greatest attribute of the C310's stair/engine cover is that it easily swings up to give incredible access to the engine. I routinely lift the stairs to check fluid levels and evidence of leaks. Adding storage bins would necessitate removing items stored before tilting the stairs, and building a setup out of wood might make it heavy and unwieldy.
So far, I have had no issues with ventilation of the engine area. Adding vents might increase the noise level in the saloon, so this would have to be researched carefully.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I was thinking of just building in a storage area inside the bottom step that could hold all the spare filter, top step could work too but would want it to be able to handle heat and vibration.

BillyK

Jan 24, 2010
Catalina 310 Ocean City, NJ
Interesting idea, but The greatest attribute of the C310's stair/engine cover is that it easily swings up to give incredible access to the engine. I routinely lift the stairs to check fluid levels and evidence of leaks. Adding storage bins would necessitate removing items stored before tilting the stairs, and building a setup out of wood might make it heavy and unwieldy.
So far, I have had no issues with ventilation of the engine area. Adding vents might increase the noise level in the saloon, so this would have to be researched carefully.
I would make it so that it continues to tilt forward to provide access.. and i was thinking the storage would be held in so that when tilting, it doesn't open and spill out. Would be a great spot to keep all the spares needed for the engine. For venting i would continue the current bilge vent location in through the bilge next to the prop shaft and into the back of the box and would continue to stay inside the bilge area. Then to cool it, there is that other vent line that runs to the starboard vent on the stern.. extending that through to the front of the engine box would provide cool air. If done right, there should be better air cooling and the sound deadening would be improved as well. i don't understand why the current vent sucks only 20" from the intake from the stern creating a ventilation loop that doesn't involve any of the engine components..

It looks like there's 2-3 inches to take back over the current engine box design to starboard.. i wonder why they placed such a large bump out on the starboard side and not on the port.. its a design element i don't really understand and intrudes into livable space. Maybe they thought it would be a good seat while cooking??

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
The bump out on the starboard side of the engine box is where my wife can sit when she is cooking while enroute, can be used as a stabilizer.