Florida Folk's Registration Question

Aug 22, 2019
n/a n/a Galveston
Purchased a boat in Florida, I am in Texas, did the title change, registration, etc. through the mail. Today the paperwork came back in the mail, and the registration sticker expires at the end of April, is not good for a year in Florida?

Nov 19, 2019
Catalina 22 Gainesville, FL
Purchased a boat in Florida, I am in Texas, did the title change, registration, etc. through the mail. Today the paperwork came back in the mail, and the registration sticker expires at the end of April, is not good for a year in Florida?
Registration expires in your birthday month. At the DMV they give you the option to go up to 2 years. (or in your case April of 2021). I guess by mail they just get you to your next birthday.

Aug 22, 2019
n/a n/a Galveston
Registration expires in your birthday month. At the DMV they give you the option to go up to 2 years. (or in your case April of 2021). I guess by mail they just get you to your next birthday.
Thanks for the clarification, but what the heck does your birthday have to do with it lol? Is it the same with automobiles in Florida as well? Seems a year from when the boat/car is registered would make more sense, oh well. Thanks again.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Is it the same with automobiles in Florida as well?
Yes, both expire on your birthday. It is a means of distributing workload evenly over the year as we have lots of transients, both land based as well as water based, which would inundate the Tax Collector office certain times of the year.

For us, it works great as the registration process here is far better and more streamlined than anyplace else we ever lived.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Thanks for the clarification, but what the heck does your birthday have to do with it lol? Is it the same with automobiles in Florida as well? Seems a year from when the boat/car is registered would make more sense, oh well. Thanks again.

Maybe, we had our boats, trailers, and cars divided up between my wife's birthday and mine (not as big a hit in one month). When I bought the new truck it is December. Anything over #6,000 is renewed in December. Now it is three times a year to renew registrations. The truck part is changing though next year and going to the birthday of the first person on the registration.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
That would make a tough month for me if all my vehicles came due on my birthday. Perhaps I need to simplify my life...Or never move to Florida...

dj

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Florida driver's license expires on your birthday also.

Aug 22, 2019
n/a n/a Galveston
Friends and family can give you gift cards to the Florida DMV for your birthday lol

Nov 19, 2019
Catalina 22 Gainesville, FL
That would make a tough month for me if all my vehicles came due on my birthday. Perhaps I need to simplify my life...Or never move to Florida...

dj
Lol, my December nightmare is 3 cars, 3 boats 3 trailers, and a cargo trailer. (57 MGA not registered yet)

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Lol, my December nightmare is 3 cars, 3 boats 3 trailers, and a cargo trailer. (57 MGA not registered yet)
Ya got me beat, 4 cars (was 6 but I'm downsizing), 3 boats and 1 trailer. Oh crap, I forgot 2 campers... Ah, you still have me beat, but not by much... LOL

dj

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Some good news is if the vehicle car or boat is over 30 years the annual registration is real cheap like $10. Helps on one car still have four others four trailers and a boat so any bit helps.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
Here in Michigan cars expire on your birthday but all boats expire on March 31 and are good for 3 years. Problem is a lot of boats seem to get sold late in the Fall, and they count the time from the sale date to March 31 as the first year. Can't use the boat during that time because the lakes are frozen! So the first registration period is only two years even though you pay for three. Can't really call it a rip off as we chose to buy the boat then, but it sure is aggravating. Lesson is buy the boat in the Spring and do the paperwork April first to get your money's worth.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
For us, it works great as the registration process here is far better and more streamlined than anyplace else we ever lived.
:plus:I found the registration and licensing processes at the DMV in Florida to be very simple and quick. You would think they do it for a living. Now, the RMV in Massachusetts is another story altogether.

reworb

Apr 22, 2011
Beneteau 311 Ft Myers Beach
I have two boats, a dinghy with a small outboard, a boat trailer and two cars, they all expire on the same day (we should have put my wife's name first on some of them) but on the bright side the cost for all the registrations is less than one car cost me to register in my former home state California.

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
Impetuous qualifies as an antique vessel in Florida and in my home state of Texas. Two years in Texas costs $132.00 as an antique. Two years in Escambia County, Florida costs $9.00 as I have to pay the tax on the registration for two years.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Impetuous qualifies as an antique vessel in Florida and in my home state of Texas. Two years in Texas costs $132.00 as an antique. Two years in Escambia County, Florida costs $9.00 as I have to pay the tax on the registration for two years.
Wow, now that's significantly less than the cost of registration in NY. I don't recall how much I pay, but it's way above $9.00

dj