Modifying the H23 galley

Sep 7, 2011
Hunter H23 Southwind YC, Milford, Kansas
I spend most weekend in the summer months on my Hunter 23 and it has occurred to me on several occasions that the galley arrangement is not very efficient. So, I am wondering if anyone out there has modified the galley on their H23. What I am thinking of doing is removing the existing slide out Galley that sits on the port side of the boat and then constructing a new arrangement that runs across the boat hull side to hull side and just under the companionway (s good many smaller boats have this type of galley)(see the picture below). I could leave room on either side under the support for the sink and for the stove so that the settees could be used for sleeping if that were ever an issue. In addition, and mindful of the possibility that the boat might someday be sold, I would preserve the old galley and construct the new one so that it could easily be removed from the boat. Does anyone have any thoughts about this potential process or has anyone actually done this??
1575594959563.png

Attachments

P100D

Jul 24, 2016
Hunter 23 Nashville TN Percy Priest lake
I added pressure water on mine. faucet is the switch pump in lazarette.
Sounds like a good idea I'm interested in what layout you come up with. I do like the origo stove and a cast iron. Other than that we use the grill. The Starboard side is the best sleeping on IMO. I've thought about just extending the router of the shelf to extend how far the slide out galley can come forward for better access. Never thought about 2 sided.

Sep 7, 2011
I added pressure water on mine. faucet is the switch pump in lazarette.
Sounds like a good idea I'm interested in what layout you come up with. I do like the origo stove and a cast iron. Other than that we use the grill. the Starboard side is the best sleeping pot IMO. I've thought about just extending the router of the shelf to extend how far the slide out galley can come forward for better access. Never thought about 2 sided.
It just seems to me to be more efficient as it can easily be built to use the wasted space where the cooler is supposed to go. In addition, the companionway stairs could be built in as well as badly needed drawer space.

P100D

Jul 24, 2016
Drawers would be nice right now we use totes slid under galley. Pots and Kitchen ware in compartment directly to right. No cooking underway. Not that we need to. Seems like I slide those darn totes out 15 times for 1 simple thing. Just a drawer or 2 would be great.

Sep 7, 2011
Drawers would be nice right now we use totes slid under galley. Pots and Kitchen ware in compartment directly to right. No cooking underway. Not that we need to. Seems like I slide those darn totes out 15 times for 1 simple thing. Just a drawer or 2 would be great.
Exactly my experience!!! Here are some ideas that intrigue me...
1575596590485.png

1575596757047.png

P100D

Jul 24, 2016
I like it. I'm going to build a cockpit table this winter. one that will span the wood slats. Then hopefully following your lead here. And it will be no problem to move the electrical panel anywhere. Not much there to relocate

Sep 7, 2011
I like it. I'm going to build a cockpit table this winter. one that will span the wood slats. Then hopefully following your lead here. And it will be no problem to move the electrical panel anywhere. Not much there to relocate
I think that if the new structure is as high as the companionway opening the electrical panel could be incorporated into the front of the top step. My electrical panel was seriously modified as I have 12 breakers for various items.
I have a cockpit table that I built that fits over the tiller. It can be removed easily. You just have to make certain that the tiller is lashed so that your beer does not fall off if another boat passes by!!!

P100D

Jul 24, 2016
Oh please post a photo of that. Would love to see it.

Sep 7, 2011
Oh please post a photo of that. Would love to see it.
Here it is. I will describe the attachment since you can't see it. I took a 6 inch piece of 2x4 and drilled a hole in it large enough for the tiller to go through. Then I cut that in half thu the hole. The top half is glued to the underside of the table. The bottom half is connected to the top half with two bolts and wing nuts. Backing off the wing nuts allows the table to slide on the tiller. Then you just tighten up the wing nuts and voila......a place for your afternoon libation.!!!

Attachments

P100D

Jul 24, 2016
OMG I love that!!! definitely keep me posted on your galley update.