Companionway Acrylic Hatch

Nov 29, 2019
Beneteau First 375 North Vancouver
I have a 1985 Beneteau First 375 and I am looking for a replacement hatch for the companionway. This hatch is made of acrylic and is approximately 30” x 40” x 16mm. This is the overhead hatch that slides fore and aft to open or close. It has a slight crown (arc). The local suppliers can make one but the material in the correct thickness and tint is not available and they are asking for too much $. Suggestions please.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
When you say local suppliers, are you referring to a plastic supply house/fabricator or a marine related supplier? The former is usually much cheaper and prices vary greatly from company to company

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
I have a 1985 Beneteau First 375 and I am looking for a replacement hatch for the companionway. This hatch is made of acrylic and is approximately 30” x 40” x 16mm. This is the overhead hatch that slides fore and aft to open or close. It has a slight crown (arc). The local suppliers can make one but the material in the correct thickness and tint is not available and they are asking for too much $. Suggestions please.
Do you really need the crown? I suspect replacement would be easier and less costly if it were just a flat sheet of acrylic.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Is there a chance Beneteau can help? The factory is still a major sailboat producer in an industry where customer service and parts support is paramount.

Nov 29, 2019
The local suppliers I have contacted are plastic companies as opposed to marine establishments.
The crown (arc?) is necessary so the profile matches up with the other part of the hatch. Forming the acrylic is not the problem - there are companies nearby that can do the work. The material is not available in the thickness and tint that I want. Apparently one must purchase a whole sheet (that is thicker than required) and it us about $2k whereas I only require less than 1/3 of a sheet.
I cannot make contact with Beneteau.
I am looking for someone who has had a similar experience and can offer possible suggestions.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
I wonder if a skylight supplier my be an option.

Aug 28, 2006
Bavaria 35E seattle
Tap Plastics is a large west coast firm with 3 Washington stores. They do a lot of work for the marine industry in this area, so they are used to boat custom jobs. The Lynnwood store is the furthest north towards you:

Dec 31, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 351 Charlottetown
"I cannot make contact with Beneteau.", That's not an un-common problem, they make it difficult to contact, like to run you around and sometimes it seems like they just don't care. The only way I could contact them was by phone, and even then they won't talk to you until you set up an account, Ward and Debbie are the only 2 people you can ever deal with, (it must by a very small company :) )

Nov 29, 2019
Thanks everyone for your responses.
I have contacted the plastic suppliers you suggested and await their replies. I am hopeful they can offer up the material I am looking for.
By posting my frustration contacting Beneteau I was hoping someone out there had experience (and success) with this. If anyone knows how to contact Beneteau (or a Beneteau parts supplier) please let me know.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Once there was an ad in the give-away section of the newspaper for a portable "plastic" basketball backboard. Of no use to me, in a condo, but later - too much later- it dawned on me that the backboard might have been good for boat projects. Next time I'll go get it.

Last edited:

CYQK

Sep 11, 2009
beneteau first 42 kenora
There is a company in annapolis that produced the curved conpanion cover for my boat resonable price good folks
Goggle it think it was called anna plastics will look up if you need it
Owner is in a band that played at the eastport yacht club party
Gary

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Try Peterson plastics. They're usually cheaper an much more friendly than other suppliers/fabricators in the area. They did not stock super dark tinted polycarbonate when I asked them for a quote. I suppose you could put some automotive tint on it if worse comes to worse.

Perhaps there's another Beneteau owner out there that needs a hatch as well. Might be a way to justify buying an entire sheet