Is anyone going for one last cruise of the season

Nov 21, 2012
Yamaha 33 Port Ludlow, WA
I'm going to try to get a bit of day sailing in between November 10 and 17 before buttoning up. Finally (hopefully?) swatted a fuel delivery bug I've been fighting for months. Between that and the re-rig (and a Grand Canyon trip!) I didn't get much sailing in. But if this arctic blast passes and it warms up a bit it could work out.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Best wishes @mermike it is likely to warm a bit in the next couple of days but I think the rains are lurking about on the 8th. If that turns true there will be wind and rain and winter will be here.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Okay weather honcho, time to break out your dowser and make a plea to the weather gods for next weekend, November 8-11, which is Veterans Day, and for me a three day weekend. Plan to spend some sail time, which means reasonable conditions. Enough with the predictions. I want a solid divining rod commitment, a guarantee, a promise, a do or die swear on the bible, this is what it will be. Even if you have to twist arms, threaten, give up your first born, bribe, pay off, a quid pro quo so to speak, I'm counting on you to produce. How's that for a request?

Sail Plan includes a rendezvous with Evening Star and Wassail in Eagle Harbor. Likely few boats this time of the year. Other skippers always welcome. And if necessary I will force a tide change to ebb in order to have a favorable current heading north out of the channel Saturday morning. Oh, and by the way weather honcho, I want a nice moderate southerly included. :poke:

Oct 22, 2014
:laugh::laugh::laugh:
I am not even sure I can remember all the detail in your plea...

Dec 25, 2000
Easy peasy, Japa-neasy. Saturday moderate southerly, no rain. Monday moderate northerly, no rain. Sunday, your choice. :stir:

Oct 22, 2014
Let see. The Pacific High has moved Eastward and the Winter Low pressures that bring us our wonderful winter November weather have lined up out across the Northern Pacific to Russia. We are going to see a series of these winter storms come ashore beginning some time from November 8th on. Timing is not yet clear.

The winds will be out of the SE for your play days, so you will be able to sail out of your marina up the channel towards your Eagle Harbor playground. I am afraid it will be rather uncomfortable as the SE breeze will be stiff and may kick up quite a swell into Eagle Harbor. The breeze looks to be 15-17 with higher gusts on Saturday gradually changing to 10 with higher gust through to Monday all out of the SE. You'd be better sheltered in Cornet or Bowman Bay and day sailing from there. Hope Island would even provide the shelter you might seek.

This first storm will be dropping Rain Saturday (perhaps 0.3 inches), then getting lighter into Sunday AM (est. 0.1inch) with some dry periods in the afternoon. Monday will sprinkle into the afternoon.

The Crystal ball is really fuzzy but this is my best SWAG as of today. :biggrin:

As the days move forward it may be possible to wipe the raindrops off the Crystal ball and clarify the picture. For Now your driest sailing times are Friday afternoon (I think your need a Blue Flu - Mental adjustment Friday afternoon) and mid to late Sunday.

Note that this weekend the politically controlled Daylight savings schedule is moved altering the circadian rhythm of all living things.:yikes:
TerrysWeather.JPG

Dec 25, 2000
Appears a bit more arm twisting is in order here, eh? Might work out.

Nov 21, 2007
Beneteau Oceanis 34 Kingston, WA
Weather window... 3, 2, 1... Go! Had a great sail yesterday afternoon and anchored overnight in Quartermaster Harbor, Vashon Island. :)

Fall Sail - 1.jpg
Fall Sail - 2.jpg

Oct 22, 2014
Beautiful Dave... My heart is hurting. Wish I was there. Maybe next week.

Dec 25, 2000
Just wondering if anyone is going to be able to take advantage of this PacNW Indian Summer opportunity.
Wassail has bailed from a Veteran's Day weekend rendezvous. He cruised over to Eagle Harbor this past Tuesday for a few days only find out that his not-Wallas furnace would not operate. Froze his gonads off. Appears he is done for the season. No word yet from Evening Star. Could turn out to be a very lonesome rendezvous. :wahwah:

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Off to Westport this morning with the boat. Time for a haul-out, bottom paint and the good old 5 year survey. Anybody need some practise sanding???? The bottom of this boat seems to get bigger every year.

Oct 22, 2014
So Michael... is this a DIY project?
Careful with the shoulders.

Oct 22, 2014
Well Terry... You just might get your wish... It looks like your wish for "dry" weather might have been heard. You must have been a good boy and off the naughty list. Good practice for the coming holidays.

It appears the usual Jet Stream - Woosh that ushers in our winter storms has continued to be altered. The suspected culprit is our Sun. He has been on a kind of hiatus this year. The AstroPhysicists call it a "Solar Grand Minima" period. The amount of Solar Irradiation drops and strange things happen to the weather patterns.

This means for you and your band of sailors that the rain forecasted last weekend for the 9th thru the 11 appears to be lessening or even disappearing (cross your fingers). There is a trace still showing on the charts for Saturday night Sunday early AM 0.3 inches, but who knows even that may evaporate.

The bad news.. You knew that was coming... along with the storms has gone the predicted winds. At least you can take solace in the fact that the temps will be accommodating. Looking to be in the mid 50's for the weekend.

Best of luck.

Dec 25, 2000
And those naysayers who have no faith in the divining rod or, for that matter, a dowser. Perhaps the weather honcho should consider adding these to your arsenal.

Dec 25, 2000
What's a 1200? Brew brand? Any good? Gave up cigars and cigarettes in 1962. Celebratory cruise absolutely, but sea trial is the technical term, eh?

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
What's a 1200? Brew brand? Any good? Gave up cigars and cigarettes in 1962. Celebratory cruise absolutely, but sea trial is the technical term, eh?
1200 as in noon, on the water by 130pm. Haven't sailed for the last month preparing for promotional testing. Danced the dance today and out of the station by noon.

Dec 25, 2000
Well Terry... You just might get your wish...
Well John, it seems your arm twisting paid off. Or did you have to give your first born? Whatever you did, not of my doing. I just made a plea to the weather honcho and he seems to have delivered. Me thinks you have an inside hand. Your reputation is at stake here and come this weekend, I'll give a full report to this site. Results are in the pudding, so they say, eh? Ninety nine bottles of beer on the wall...