Harbor Freight makes boat stands !

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Well.. Sorta.

They sell automotive safety stands for use in some situations when a normal automotive hoist is not good enough.

They are rated at 2 tons each.

I picked 4 up on sale last fall, and just finished 90% of modifications needed for the 2 stern stands for our C22.

I cut the rear ones down to fit under the stern when the boat is on it's trailer.
This required moving the middle cross braces up approximately 5 inches, cutting the legs shorter, cutting the middle adjustable support shorter, and bolting 3/4" plywood pads to the top plate.

A bit of grinding on the top of the jackscrew allows the top to tilt slightly.

The legs are cut so the stand sits at the correct angles to match hull on each side at the stern.

Rubber or carpet will be added at the top, in addition to round metal feet welded to each leg.
The stern stands will have a removable bar that locks the two together, instead of chains.

The front stands will simply be made shorter to allow a wide beam to be put under the bow to allow the trailer to be removed.

Screenshot_20190630_032045.jpg 20190629_212602_HDR.jpg

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
Good deal. Harbor Freight built my whole shop - can't complain about any of it.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
How much did the Harbor Freight stands cost?
Normal price is $77 but I got them on sale.
Approx $200 for 4 stands.

about 1 hour to make measurements and modify them. Maybe $20 more for plywood and carpet offcuts.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Brownell makes the good ones
I see it more as "brownell makes the overpriced ones" for a boat owner.
Its not like a stand is some fancy device.
Especially for a 22ft boat.
For a big boat yes, but you sure as heck don't need. 4. X 20,000 working load stands for something that weighs 3000 lbs.

Thanks for the heads up on the Hostar stands. Good pricing and they appear to stack well.

Had I known of them I would likely have bought them, in spite of them being double what the modded Harbor Fright ones cost me.

Last edited:

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
I ended up buying USED stands that the Marina's find unsuitable. Rusty yep, on their last leg yep, still able to support my 22 enough to remove from trailer and place it on the wooden cradle I built.... Yep. Will most likely modify the wood stands to accept the screw Jack's in the future.

mll

Oct 17, 2019
Catalina 22 Wheeler Lake
Why not get 4ea. 4x6x16' posts set in ground 3' 9' apart, cross top brace with 2ea. 2x10 boards with 2x8 top. Install steel plate on top drilled for 2" eye bolt instal 2 chain hoist rated at 2 tons each, install 2 16' slings rated same and lift boat off trailer, remove trailer and lower boat down to lower cross bracing.
chainhoist 54.00, posts 36.00 cross boards 12.00.
You can even construct a roof line for a canopy of fiberglass cover for winter.

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
Why not get 4ea. 4x6x16' posts set in ground 3' 9' apart, cross top brace with 2ea. 2x10 boards with 2x8 top. Install steel plate on top drilled for 2" eye bolt instal 2 chain hoist rated at 2 tons each, install 2 16' slings rated same and lift boat off trailer, remove trailer and lower boat down to lower cross bracing.
chainhoist 54.00, posts 36.00 cross boards 12.00.
You can even construct a roof line for a canopy of fiberglass cover for winter.
Man - that's a lot of idea in 1 paragraph. You don't mess around my friend. The only thing I would add is a big steam whistle..

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Why not get 4ea. 4x6x16' posts set in ground
Set in ground... ?

The point of stands is that they are portable.

Previously I lifted the boat indoors in the shop with a hoist, but stands allow you to do it anywhere. Marina yard, driveway, wherever.

mll

Oct 17, 2019
Catalina 22 Wheeler Lake
Everyone has their own thing. Currently I have a 24' x 16' metal building of which I have put one bass boat and anther boat I built of faberglass for my grandson. It has power so Ican build my sling structure diectly next to where I would have power. I trailer my cat 22, so I plan to have a parking space for it. By the why I'm on 5 acres too.