Times Up?

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Enjoyed making regular visits with John over these recent years and we would watch the many cruising DVDs that I've made. Many fond memories of our group together exploring PNW waters, but when I left John would press his daughter to help him move back onto his boat to his old life. That was the agitation that she had trouble with. My last call to him was through her phone and she asked me not talk about boats. Well, that was unpreventable, because that is what he and I had in common, so the topic did come up.

John's situation is a family matter and I must trust that his daughter is doing what she believes is in his best interest. Beyond that I'll visit him as often as the family lets me and will try to keep things on an even keel so as to avoid the family shutting me out completely.

Sep 25, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Capri EXPO 14.2 1282 Stony Point
Use it or lose it! Will be 73 in a few weeks and still single handle a Capri 22 twice a week. Of course I'm a fair weather day sailor that can pick when I go out and avoid conditions that my weaker every day body can handle. Still run into unexpected conditions that test the body and my ability to control the boat. Still floating and the dock still floats also in spite of my ramming attempts.

Dec 25, 2000
Use it or lose it!
Ditto here. Body keeps telling me that perhaps you need to slow up some, or take it easy, or you're too old for this stuff, or, or, or... Mind disagrees and ignores much of what the body complains about; sore muscles, stiff joints, aching back, creaky fingers, etc., etc., etc. At some point the body will overrule, but until then, Belle-Vie is a peach to sail, challenging at times and a joy of life. Sail on, as they say.

Dec 25, 2000
Called the fam Thursday to see if John was up for a visit this Friday. Fam said not a good time. How about Saturday? Bad weekend was the reply. Too much going on. Sheesh. Will try again another day. Sad that John’s family (daughter) would take away everything that he enjoyed; independence, freedom, boat, phone, computer, money, car, etc.

Recent visits with him he seems upbeat, alert and lucid. Tempting to see whether his daughter will let him return to the life he so enjoyed. Some fear she might exercise her restraining order and close off all correspondence. Just does not seem right. Or perhaps she sees a side of him that we do not and has taken these measures to protect him. Hmm.

Dec 25, 2000
It seems that time is up for Colin Banks (Wassail, Pacific Seacraft 34) a long time member of our little flotilla AMEE. He turns 82 this November and claims to have reached that time in his life. Long time climber (all the summits in our region), bought Wassail new in 1993 sailing her to Mexico, Alaska, around Vancouver Island and many cruises in our little flotilla. He has her on the market, sad to say. Only five years older than me, perhaps also my magic number? Hmm.

Bob Barker (Mariposa, Cal T2) is a year older than Colin, but still sails some, but not with AMEE. John Lund (Friehet, Freedom 32) alas has dementia, now confined to his home, boat under new ownership. Tom Burgess (Evening Star, Dana 24) has joined our flotilla and remains eager to set sail this season. Did a cruise with him in 2018 to the Broughtons.

Time marches on for us all. Best to make good use of what we have left. Feeling very blessed here with my life experience. Just happy to arise each day full of a little vigor, with my first true love by my side. So much to be thankful for. So much to do, so little time. Tictoc, Tictoc.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
I agree Terry. You gotta make hay while the sun shines. That time will come to all of us. In the mean time we are tied to the dock in Lyall Harbour watching them install 180 feet of new dock space. Will be back out by Wednesday I hope.

Jun 21, 2014
Freedom 32 Venice
Some years ago I entered this reply to a sailor looking to retire. When I posted it at least one sailor contemplating retirement saying the book made his mind up for him. Hope he is still out there. This is all I said:

"I wondered about this about a dozen years ago. Then I read "Call of the Ancient Mariner", by Reece Palley.

"Sail 'til ya die!"

1590432142895.png

Dec 25, 2000
Bummer. Two down, two to go. Our original AMEE flotilla (Bob-Mariposa, John-Friehet, Colin-Wassail, Terry-Belle-Vie) another skipper has retired from sailing,; Colin just sold his boat and his 82nd birthday November 9. That leaves just Bob and I, he being 18 months older than Colin. Bob does not sail much these days, mostly around the islands once in awhile.

We've had many great cruises over the years, most of them I've published on YouTube. But new friendships are blossoming , that once we all get through this COVID-19 rough spot, perhaps new horizons will emerge. A few more sailing years here, one can only hope. This year was supposed to be around Vancouver Island, but alas has been postponed to another year.

High hopes for next season. Still plan on a few more cruises this year. Always especially quiet anchorages with some great winds. Another Haley's cheeseburger, a must.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Stick in there Terry. We had one attempt. We can do better. I won’t replace your best buddies but we can make it fun if we get the chance to join you.