Just purchased a 1980n Catalina25. When I sail with a good wind i here a vibrating noise from the cable for the swing keel. Anybody experienced this.

Jun 27, 2019
Catalina Catalina25 punta gorda, fl.
Just purchased a 1980 Catalina25 swing keel.. When I sail with a good wind I hear a vibrating noise in the cabin from the cable for the swing keel. Has anybody experienced this? After dropping the keel I take the slack out of the cable.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
After dropping the keel I take the slack out of the cable.
Yep, that's how you quiet the cable hum.

That's how you MAKE the cable hum. ;)

Put the slack back IN the cable if you want the noise gone.

I detest that insufferable freakin' racket, personally. I can handle it in small doses for a while, but not for long.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
The cable hum is quite normal ,as others have mentioned. If you want to get rid of the hum just let the cable go slack.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
As a former Catalina dealer, the responses hit it on the nailhead. Take the slack out. This also occurs on other manufactured sailboats with a swing keel or centerboard in some cases.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
I have a rope painter on my centerboard. When I snug it, it hums. If I let it go slack, it doesn't hum. I've decided to let it slack most of the time, and I've found if I get in too skinny water, and pick up some milfoil on the painter, having it slack seems to let the weed free itself before I have to go swimming to clear it so I can pull the board back up into its slot. Mind you, having to wetsuit up in October the week before haulout is not my favorite thing to do... As you could guess, I've had to do that too many times...

Oct 16, 2019
Chrysler Lone Star 16 Calais , Maine
These things all hum because they don’t know the words.
Except the girl who has Mermaids singing , obvious they know the words

Last edited: