Broken Boat Hook

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
What does one do with a broken boat hook? (Crew fell on it at the dock). Fortunately, he wasn't hurt and didn't go overboard.

I've thought of trying to fix this by glueing a plug inside the broken barrel of the extending section, but have not found anything (dowel or PVC) of the correct OD to slip in. One cannot put a fastener through it because then it won't retract.

Attachments

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
You can repair it just like a mast. Cut a small section to use as a plug. With a Dremel tool cut a sliver leaving the plug as a rounded "U" which can be compressed and inserted between the broken ends. Use epoxy glue and drill a small pilot hole to insert and secure with a self tapping screw. If you want it to retract just leave out the screw but beware that it is only held by the glue and spring action of the compression.

KZW

May 17, 2014
Never occurred to me to use a section of the boat hook itself. Great idea, thanks.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
If it's from West Marine, take it back. They will give you another one.

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
It's a boat hook, kind of a disposable item.........

KZW

May 17, 2014
If it's from West Marine, take it back. They will give you another one.
I don't see a warranty on the web site. Do you have experience with them doing so?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It's a boat hook, kind of a disposable item........
Only when it slips and falls overboard during boat operations. Otherwise it’s an unnatural accident of an important boat appliance.

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Only when it slips and falls overboard during boat operations. Otherwise it’s an unnatural accident of an important boat appliance.
Buy a second then. And when one breaks replace it.....

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Benny's idea appears to be a good one.
I have one on the bottom of my slip that is serving as an artificial reef for marine life. Its been down there for 6 years!

Last edited:

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
I don't see a warranty on the web site. Do you have experience with them doing so?
West Marine is known for replacing their stuff (and stuff that is not branded by them but that you can prove you bought from them) no questions asked. If it really is theirs, take in the pieces, see what they say.

Yes, I have experience with them replacing one of their boathooks for me. My issue was a little different, but they gave me a new hook. Can't hurt to ask. Note: If they want to give you another one, compare the business end carefully with the one that you have. They do change from time to time, and mine had a feature I did not really want to lose. If you are in that situation, see if they will let you keep the end of your current one.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
What does one do with a broken boat hook?
Take the end rubber hand grip off. Push the broken inner tube out the grip end and you should be able to get out the OEM plug. Cut the longer broken tube with a fine hand saw so as to not deform the tube. put it back into the outer tube. Depending, you might have to cut the outer tube shorter to reinstall the plug into the inner piece. You might be able to use the glue (from the other forum going on). Or, IIRC, I out a couple poprivets on the inner tube to keep it from sliding out the outer one.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I've tested lots of boat hooks. To break one there depends only on the strength of the tubing, which is similar in all brands. The only way to break it there is to step on it while the ends are supported or to use it as a lever, and either action will break any boat hook. Basically, it was abused. Accidents happen, I've broken boat hooks by stepping on them, but I don't think that is a product defect. The lesson is that a boat hook is not a lever.

You could section it, but it probably won't telescope properly. If you want one you can abuse a bit, get a fixed pole that does not telescope. They last a lot longer.