Newbie question about roller furling head sail

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
I've never used a roller furler but I'm thinking about getting one for my boat. My question is about the sheet. My boat has two fairleads on each side, one for the jib and one, further aft and further outboard, for the genoa. When I'm using the jib the sheet runs through the forward fairlead and inboard of the side stays, back to a winch. When I use the genoa I generally have the sheet running outboard of the side stays and back through the aft fairlead to the same winch. That makes it easy for me to switch the genoa to wing-on-wing for downwind runs, which is a configuration change I make quite regularly in the area I sail. I'm wondering how I would handle that with a roller furling head sail. Would I use two sheets on each side, one inside the stays and one outside? Or is there a better way?

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
It'll pretty much the same as with your hanked on method.... It won't hurt to experiment to determine what works best for you.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Do you mean that you’re considering switching to roller furling, and just having one sail that you furl and unfurl as you change direction? If so, be aware that the shape of a partially furled sail is really not very good, and you probably wouldn’t want to plan for that as your standard configuration. If you just want to have roller furling and still switch out between sails then like Joe said there’s no difference between that and hank on.

May 8, 2011
ODay 25 Cambridge
I had the same issue with my oday 25. What I did was to replace the forward fairleads with snatch blocks and to add Davis Instruments shroud covers. The sheets (one on each side) were run outboard. Not ideal but it worked okay as the angle of the sheets did not cause a lot of friction with the shrouds. A trip forward is needed to run the sheets thru the fairlead and to release the sheet from the fairlead.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
The Mac 26 S and D (collectively known as the C for classic) are distinctive for their large mast rake (3 degrees)’ sharply swept shrouds,and the wide side shrouds attached at full width of the beam, to the hull. So they have some idiosyncratic sheeting and sail selection characteristics. The bottom line is that they don’t allow the same range of options and utility when you add a furler, compared to other boats.

A furler on a Mac26C adds a lot of convenience while sail handling, but not as much in terms of versatility. You still need to choose between a jib and a Genoa. It’s “either/or” because there’s no single sail that will do both on a furler for the M26c.

As @Tedd has said, the 26Cs usually come with a 150 Genoa which sheets to the blocks or tracks on the cockpit coaming, and a 100 jib, which sheet inside the shrouds to blocks or tracks on the cabin top.
The jib sails much closer to the wind because of the narrower sheeting angle, the Genoa doesn’t sail as close to the wind, because the shrouds are set widely and the spreaders are also wide.

The most versatile furling headsail, for most boats, is a 135 Genoa. It’s big enough to provide enough power in light to moderat condition, and still performs very acceptably when reefed down to the same area as a working jib. The 135 is most popular sized furling heads because it’s the only size that works well when reefed to a jib size. Unfortunately, It’s not technically possible to build a 150 Genoa that works well when furled and reefed to the same size as a 100%, for a lot of reasons (which I won’t go into in this post).

while is is possible to make a 135 or so Genoa to fit, ther really isn’t a good way to sheet so it sails closer to the wi d than a 150 it because it has to sheet outside those wide shrouds. I’ve made a few custom 140%-ish Genoa’s for 26Cs for owners who wanted something smaller than a 150 Because they were frequently getting overpowered, but they sill had to be sheeted outside the shrouds and did not point an higher than a 150 Genoa.

When you switch to a furling headsail, the MAC26 150 isn’t going to have a nice shape or go upwind well when it is furled to jib size. The clew will be very high compared to a purpose built jib. The high clew will make the foot too loose and the leech too tight for the sail to perform well.

Furthermore, a non reefing 150 is made of lighter weight cloth for use only in light winds. If you Reef it for use in high winds, you will stretch out the cloth.

Judy B
Retired sailmaker

Last edited:

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
Do you mean that you’re considering switching to roller furling, and just having one sail that you furl and unfurl as you change direction?
Yes, I was hoping to be able to do that. If that's not feasible then the roller furler has a lot less utility in the kind of sailing I do at the moment. I don't change my head sail very often, mostly because it's a pain in the neck but also because I don't find that I need to in the conditions I usually sail in. For me, the advantage of the roller furler would be mainly in not having to hank on and hank off. But since I usually only do that once a day it's not such a big deal!

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
...sharply swept shrouds,and the wide side shrouds attached at full width of the beam, to the hull.
Right, I forgot that's not normal! I guess on most boats you can go from furled all the way in to furled all the way out without rerouting the sheet, but not on mine (Mac 26S).

All things considered, it doesn't seem like roller furling is the way to go, for me, especially considering that my mast-raising system is designed around the hank-on fore stay and would have to be at least partly re-designed to work with a roller system. I step the mast nearly as often as I change head sails, so that's an important consideration for me!

Thanks for all that great information. It might also explain why the genoa I got with the boat was in near-new condition whereas the jib was well used. I don't think the previous owner ever used the genoa!

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Thanks for all that great information. It might also explain why the genoa I got with the boat was in near-new condition whereas the jib was well used. I don't think the previous owner ever used the genoa!
Interesting. When we got our Mac 26D the headsail (factory original) didn't look like it had ever been unfolded. The 150 was well worn. We mostly just used the 100 and it sailed well to wind. In my memory, it sailed better than the boats we've had since (SanJuan 28 and Hunter 30 with brand new sails).

Ken