Hey all.. Newbie here

Aug 25, 2019
S2 9.2a sayreville
hey all...just got a 1979 9.2a uncle gave it to me.. it was my cousins.. he passed away..uncle took it over and hes had it for 30 years..i would like to fix it up and keep it in the family.. it needs some work.. the deck is soft near the mast... ive read up a good amount on it... question.. has anyone seen any videos on line that would be helpful.. pictures? anything? so I can at least see what im getting myself into..

thanks

Attachments

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
hey all...just got a 1979 9.2a uncle gave it to me.. it was my cousins.. he passed away..uncle took it over and hes had it for 30 years..i would like to fix it up and keep it in the family.. it needs some work.. the deck is soft near the mast... ive read up a good amount on it... question.. has anyone seen any videos on line that would be helpful.. pictures? anything? so I can at least see what im getting myself into..

thanks
Hard to say without knowing how big of an area you have that needs repair, but this guy has a YouTube channel where he recored the front have of his top deck. He is very meticulous, almost anal about his approach, but he does nice work.

If you subscribe and look back through his episodes, you will find a great many dealing with his approach to coring the deck. The link is to his most recent episode...or search for “Sail Life”

Good luck with your new toy. Be sure to fix the critical stuff, but save time to get out and sail her too!

Greg

Aug 25, 2019
S2 9.2a sayreville
Hard to say without knowing how big of an area you have that needs repair, but this guy has a YouTube channel where he recored the front have of his top deck. He is very meticulous, almost anal about his approach, but he does nice work.

If you subscribe and look back through his episodes, you will find a great many dealing with his approach to coring the deck. The link is to his most recent episode...or search for “Sail Life”

Good luck with your new toy. Be sure to fix the critical stuff, but save time to get out and sail her too!

Greg
its about a square foot maybe a little more on the starboard side of the mast..

im gunna take all winter and fix her up so next year she will be all ready to go where ever the wind will take us..

gunna check over all plumming.. electric.

besides deck damage.. is there anything else that the s2's are known for that I should take a look at?

gunna go check this guys videos out..

thanks you

Aug 14, 2017
S2 9.2A Fairport Harbor
Check the chain plate mounting and moisture where they go through the deck.

May 29, 2020
S2 9.2A Lanoka Harbor, NJ
Just basic maintenance, through hull fittings, below waterline hose and clamps. If you have not hauled out, I recommend getting a quick haul to look for any delamination, rudder etc. my 1983 had original depth and speed transducers which still worked but worth upgrading. If it still has the original Yanmar 2GM Motor, you may want to get a Yanmar service done on it. S2’s that have been well maintained hold up extremely well. Other than that, if you have not sailed it yet, you won’t know the condition of the sails and rigging. You could get a survey done under sail. I did and received A detailed report on wat should be fixed from high to low on a priority list. Well worth the money.