How to run wires from bottom of mast to galley way entrance on a 1993 Hunter 33.5

Mar 15, 2017
Hunter 33.5 Lake Dillon, CO
Hi everyone. I am installing a Raymarine wind instrument i60. The wind vain (sensor) will be on top of the mast and the wires coming down to the bottom of the mast. My question is how do I get those wires to the entrance of the galleyway since this is where the i60 instrument will be installed?
Keep it simple everyone since I only have 2 years of experience.
Thanks,

Mar 4, 2018
Hunter 33.5 Southport
I'm going to assume that you are going to take the mast down before attempting this project but if not the difficult part would most likely be fishing the wire down the mast and into the cabin ( access is in the head compartment next to the bulkhead) if you are going to attempt it without taking the mast down I would recommend replacing your vhf coaxial cable and using your existing coax as a pull wire for the new coax as well as the wire for the wind instrument and a messenger for future projects. I believe that pulling up will be easier than trying to pull down. You will need someone in the head to feed the wires up. For the interior aspect of the project you will need to remove the 2 access panels on the starboard side and use a fish tape to get a messenger from the access panel closest to the main bulkhead over to the access panel in the head where the wires come down through the mast. Once you've got the fish tape into the head you should use pull string to pull your wires. You will most likely have to remove the light fixture over the galley sink and fish from the second access panel to the hole where the fixture is.
The other route would be on the port side where you would have to route through the engine compartment but it would be more or less the same procedure. Once you have pulled the access panels you'll get a better idea. Plan on using a full range of explicatives for this project.

Mar 15, 2017
Thanks Mark, that’s exactly what I was looking for. I already have a messenger line in the mast, it was already in the mast from the previous owner so I am good to go there and your info on how to get the wires through the cabin will get me started.

Mar 4, 2018
Hunter 33.5 Southport
Why the bulkhead and not the pedestal? There is a dedicated wiring path on the Port side behind the Electrical Panel.
If you are putting the display where I think you're putting it ( to starboard of the companionway on the cabin ) I don't think you will be able to fish a wire past where the liner meets the bulkhead. You'll have to have an exposed wire above the fridge. Just something to think about. Also, keep the button caps that cover the screws to the access panels in a safe place. They're easy to lose.

Mar 15, 2017
I am attaching a pic, it will be on the port side of the companion way. I already have an autohelm tridata display (hole in fiberglass). I purchased a three display raymarine kit with a i60 wind i50 depth and i50 speed and would like install all three and replace the tridata. Depth transducer and speed transducer and power are already there on location I’m just missing wires from wind vain sensor that will be on top of mast.
Any thoughts? Or suggestions I’m open to other ideas.

Attachments

Mar 4, 2018
Hunter 33.5 Southport
There is space under the winch pad but it's pretty tight. I installed cam cleats for for the spinnaker downhauls on each side of the cabin and used the access panels for the winches to add backing plates. Since you don't have a winch on the port side you'll have a bit more room and maybe you'll be able to determine how the wires were installed. Either way you can plan on going on a fishing expedition.