How far do you trailer?

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
@Jackdaw, my sister in law has lived up here for 17 years or so, and we trolls have been coming up for the summer for awhile, so we have a decent lay of the land.

We had dinner at the Fitz tonight.
I was thinking more about sailing. Anyway the Fitz is a great great place. A bit far for Houghton/Hancock locals to run for a drink, but if you're making a tour of the peninsula a must-stop.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Gene

I am also considering driving down the gulf coast side and launching further south for a possible run to the keys.
I'll talk your ear off about it. :)

The cruising grounds down there are fantastic, whether you make it as far as the Keys or not. You do have "northers" to contend with at that time of year, but they are predictable and manageable if you get tucked in somewhere before they blow through. I have some videos of the area under "sailing Daydream". @Sumner is a wealth of information too, he knows more than I do.

Do it!

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Towed 1200 miles each way to Canada once and 2200 miles each way to Florida twice with the Mac. Other shorter trips here in Utah and to Wyoming. Nearest lake that is worth putting in is either Lake Powell or a lake in Colorado each about 90 miles from home. Nothing compared to our friends Mike and Sandy that have towed from Washington (the state) to Florida a couple times and into Canada and the east coast along with going to the Sea of Cortez with their Mac.

A trailer sailboat opens up a ton of new worlds to one if they take advantage of it :),

Sumner
=================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...

MacGregor 26-S Mods...http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/endeavour-main/endeavour-index.html
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
In the '80s my wife was a traveling nurse and we towed our Hobie all up and down the East Coast. The longest single trip was Littleton, NH to Bradenton, Fl and back again. We went home to Littleton between every assignment. Lived in Norwood Ma, Winston-Salem NC, Boyton Beach FL, and traveled to and sailed Charleston SC, The Keys to Key West, Lake Norman NC, here in Littleton and a few places I'm forgetting. The only problems we ever had towing was on the Garden State Turnpike because I was following Linda who was driving our S-15 towing the Hobie while I drove a U-Haul towing or Celica. They wouldn't let me on the turnpike with the towing dolly and no cellphones back then. Had to leave our car on the side of the road and catch up with my wife to bring her back and find another route. I felt lucky the car was still there when we got back.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Feb 19, 2008
Catalina Capri 18 ann arbor
@Jackdaw
We get back up there every couple years to visit family, what would you have suggested?

I enjoyed sailing in Portage lake. I think I could make a three day cruise just out of that. Down the canal to Keweenaw Bay, up the canal to Torch Lake.

Thought about lake Gogebic, it’s shallow, but plenty of it is deep enough for me. And there is a resort on the lake so I wouldn’t have to fold myself up in my pup-tent of a cabin.

Sep 25, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Capri EXPO 14.2 1282 Stony Point
My brother-in-law towed the boat from St. Petersberg to Mahwah when I bought it (1200 miles). I towed it 20 miles from my house to my marina, launched it, sail from a dock once or twice a week weather and life permitting. The trailer is being worked on as it was not up to the task. Keel sitting on a 2X8 cedar plank, no keel guides and too short an extension to launch the wing keel. We had to chock the wheels, un-hook the trailer and tie to the car hitch to get the boat to float. Unfortunately, the strap broke and the trailer and boat launched themselves. I had two strong helpers so they retrieved the sunken trailer while I grabbed the boat and tied it off. Quickest launch ever and the most exciting. There were cheers from the onlookers. Just bought an hitch extender to take some of that excitement out of launch and allow retrieval this fall. then 20 miles home. If a hurricane is predicted, I retrieve the boat and take it home, elevation 620' NGVD. Once on the trailer, may take the boat down to Raritan Bay for a weekend before putting it back into the Hudson river.

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
When we owned a C22 and before we moved to Florida we would tow from St Louis Mo to at least Key Largo 3 times a year. We finally stored the boat in the Keys instead of towing it. Slow learners. Now our boat is in the canal behind our condo.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
The only problems we ever had towing was on the Garden State Turnpike because I was following Linda who was driving our S-15 towing the Hobie while I drove a U-Haul towing or Celica. They wouldn't let me on the turnpike with the towing dolly and no cellphones back then. Had to leave our car on the side of the road and catch up with my wife to bring her back and find another route. I felt lucky the car was still there when we got back.

-Will (Dragonfly)
What? :confused::confused: We don't have a "Garden State Turnpike" We have the "Garden State Parkway" and the "New Jersey Turnpike". I'm guessing that you might have been lucky to find your car since you didn't know which roadway you were on! ;)

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
What? :confused::confused: We don't have a "Garden State Turnpike" We have the "Garden State Parkway" and the "New Jersey Turnpike". I'm guessing that you might have been lucky to find your car since you didn't know which roadway you were on! ;)
Well, I couldn't remember which one it was we were on, so I thought I'd kinda blend them both together. It's not like I don't actually know the difference:liar:.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 26, 2008
Every fall I try and talk myself into taking BlueJ down to Miami for the winter. 1785 miles each way. Leave her on a buoy at Coconut Grove Sailing Club in Biscayne Bay. If I owned a tow vehicle capable of that; I probably would.
Ha! I'm thinking exactly the same thing for the first winter of retirement. My step son just bought the tow vehicle and he would make a great traveling companion. I'd have to find a trailer, first. I want to sail the Keys, Dry Tortuga, and Bahamas. I think I would leave the boat there, though. Our trip would be about half the distance compared to Minneapolis to Miami.

Oct 26, 2008
Well, I couldn't remember which one it was we were on, so I thought I'd kinda blend them both together. It's not like I don't actually know the difference:liar:.

-Will (Dragonfly)
Close enough! If I were betting, I'd guess you were on both! The Parkway starts in New York (state) off I-287 (NY Thruway in that area) and runs down the entire length of the state ending in Cape May. It's virtually the only highway that takes us to all of the shore destinations. The Turnpike starts at I-80 just west of Fort Lee and the George Washington Bridge (NYC) and it runs southwesterly past Philly and ends at the Delaware River crossing into Delaware (Wilmington). They cross in Woodbridge, right next to Perth Amboy and Staten Island.

I'd bet that you didn't want to drive in NYC towing the boat and car, so you probably crossed (the Hudson) at the Tappen Zee (or even Beacon/Newburgh?) as you would be on the NY Thruway when you joined the GS Parkway. Then you went south on the Parkway and joined the Turnpike to stay on the I-95 corridor. You wouldn't want to stay on the Parkway unless you ferried across to Lewes, DE. You probably got stopped on the Parkway in North Jersey, as they don't like any commercial or strange towing arrangements on that roadway (they allow towing boats). BTW, don't feel bad … the GPS in my car doesn't know what GS Parkway stands for either. It is confused as it says "Garden Parkway South". I could not understand the directions when I was supposed to go North to my destination along the Garden State Parkway! :confused::confused:

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
...I want to sail the Keys, Dry Tortuga, and Bahamas. ...
You are going to want a shallow draft boat for those areas.

My preference would be a swing keel for the keys, but something a little chunkier to cross the stream & get to the Bahamas. The Gulf-stream often gets bumpy, especially with any kind of North wind.

There is a guy in Key Largo that includes day use of a C-22 with the rental of a bungalow. That might be a good way to get your feet wet on keys sailing before you make a bigger commitment.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2008
You are going to want a shallow draft boat for those areas.
Our draft is just under 4'. If we can get used to the shallow water in Barnegat Bay, I don't think we will be surprised by the depth in the Keys. We watch the depth constantly as it is usually less than 10'.

I saw the advertisements for the resort that offers the Catalina 22'. It sounds attractive and looks like a nice place in a good location (the one I saw was closer to Marathon, I think. But to be honest, I won't be comfortable in open water on that boat and I'm sure Sue would be even less so. It's not a knock on the boat and I know that many have had some serious adventures in that boat. It's just not for me … I think it is too lightly built and my opinion of it won't change.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
When we campaigned the J24, we would tow in the winter from ICT to HOU to race at Houston YC, then back to Dallas and leave the boat there for the Spring part of the TX Circuit and dead head home to ICT. Then all spring, once a month we would head to TX, pick up the boat and trailer to the "local" venue. We would skip the June event in Corpus "cause we didn't have enough drivers to make it that far and, worse, back from CC to ICT" ;-). After the May event, we would haul the boat home for the summer while the circuit was on hiatus. Then come fall we would haul it back to TX and do the Dallas/FT Worth area races and the Austin/San Antonio races. Then back home for a couple months and rinse and repeat. Generally was about 7,000 mile a year. Gotta love it! The 310 isn't so road friendly and my Suburban is maxed out with it so we only move Slainte when necessary.

Towed the J, ICT to Lake Mendota to deliver it to her new owner on the way to northern Wisconsin to look at her potential replacements. And, once did ICT to Chicago for the NA's.

Many eventful trips, and trips with memorable events, that would take too long to provide detail! ;-)

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
Our draft is just under 4'. If we can get used to the shallow water in Barnegat Bay, I don't think we will be surprised by the depth in the Keys. We watch the depth constantly as it is usually less than 10'.

I saw the advertisements for the resort that offers the Catalina 22'. It sounds attractive and looks like a nice place in a good location (the one I saw was closer to Marathon, I think. But to be honest, I won't be comfortable in open water on that boat and I'm sure Sue would be even less so. It's not a knock on the boat and I know that many have had some serious adventures in that boat. It's just not for me … I think it is too lightly built and my opinion of it won't change.
Fair enough. I was just letting you know of the option. I thought that it might be nice to poke around with a swing keel boat before you risk scraping up the bottom of your keel, learning the area.

Off of the East side of Key West, I have hit some serious weather during some races that I was involved with. On the gulf side of the keys, things tend to be much more docile. A 4' draft will get you in some places down there, but not a lot of others. On the Bahama bank, 4" should be good in most places, aside from the scattered reefs that you need to watch for.

Last edited:

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I’ve towed to Smith Mountain Lake, VA from Sumter, SC twice. The 2nd time was to see @Crazy Dave Condon so he could fix my wiring. I also met @rgranger on the lake. The trip is 82,673 miles each way and up hill both ways.

Oct 26, 2008
Off of the East side of Key West, I have hit some serious weather during some races that I was involved with. On the gulf side of the keys, things tend to be much more docile. A 4' draft will get you in some places down there, but not a lot of others. On the Bahama bank, 4" should be good in most places, aside from the scattered reefs that you need to watch for.
I would be a lot more concerned about hitting hard reef bottoms! We bounce off some muddy sand and it doesn't cause very much concern. I'm just talking out of my hat anyway. Retirement this winter isn't likely and it would take some pretty slick talking to get my step son involved with his truck (I'd have to get this idea past his mother!) … he's just starting out and doesn't have a lot of flexible time. He wouldn't hesitate if he could swing it, though!