First Time Asymmetrical Spinnaker User!

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
So, Flightline is available in 6, 8, and 9.5mm (1/4, 5/16, 3/8"). What size for spin sheets on my boat? Any pointers to how to strip, taper, splice and eye into the core (once the jacket's stripped), etc.?

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I'll have to research that.

Please excuse my ignorance, but you mean inside and outside of the spin luff, right? So, for me, inside would be the chute passing between the spin luff and furled jib?
That’s correct. in light air it’s easier than an outside gybe, which requires the the sail to ‘flag’ downwind in front of the boat.

On an inside gybe in very light airs, its often helpful if a crew member goes and runs the clew around the forestay and back into position by hand.

Nov 8, 2010
So, Flightline is available in 6, 8, and 9.5mm (1/4, 5/16, 3/8"). What size for spin sheets on my boat? Any pointers to how to strip, taper, splice and eye into the core (once the jacket's stripped), etc.?
Making stripped sheets is one of the easiest and enjoyable splice jobs you can do. It’s really just and eye splice and a cover bury, both very easy on good core-dependent line like FlightLine.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Thanks much. So, would 8mm do the trick?

I might just try flying it this weekend, with one sheet of what line I may have on hand. i think I have a long enough piece of Sta-Set in 5/16 or 3/8 on the boat. As I said, I have the VPC 10mm, too. Then I won't be in a panic to make sheets and make an impulse purchase.

Nov 8, 2010
One other thing... if you get into splicing dyneema cored line, I’d really recommend getting a D-splicer (or 2) instead of traditional fids. Dyneema has a habit of tightening when stretched, and pulling it through itself can be frustrating with a fid. Not cheap both worth it!

Nov 8, 2010
Thanks much. So, would 8mm do the trick?

I might just try flying it this weekend, with one sheet of what line I may have on hand. i think I have a long enough piece of Sta-Set in 5/16 or 3/8 on the boat. As I said, I have the VPC 10mm, too. Then I won't be in a panic to make sheets and make an impulse purchase.
A good rule of thumb is to match your halyard size. Strength will not be the factor, weigh and hand comfort will. As you’re likely to be using this (I assume) on the lighter end of the wind spectrum, a slightly thinner sheet with be fine, and fly better.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Wow, that's cool. I've found the kit is for pretty small line, the largest tool they have, the F25, is for 1/4" through 5/16".

Nov 8, 2010
Wow, that's cool. I've found the kit is for pretty small line, the largest tool they have, the F25, is for 1/4" through 5/16".
If the line is too big for the D-splicer you have, just taper a bit of the end before you pull. You’ll usually taper it anyway.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
A good rule of thumb is to match your halyard size. Strength will not be the factor, weigh and hand comfort will. As you’re likely to be using this (I assume) on the lighter end of the wind spectrum, a slightly thinner sheet with be fine, and fly better.
Thanks. On that note, is Sta-set too heavy for this? I was thinking a 5/16" Sta-set with the core stripped out maybe 20', luggage tag on the end, might work well and be quite economical.

Nov 8, 2010
Thanks. On that note, is Sta-set too heavy for this? I was thinking a 5/16" Sta-set with the core stripped out maybe 20', luggage tag on the end, might work well and be quite economical.
The size is OK, but remember that Sta-set is polyester cored and cannot be stripped.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
I was thinking of removing the core from the last few feet, and just using the jacket. After some reading I think I'll just go with Flightline.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I see lots of advice on flying a spinnaker in light air. It’s good advice. But... make sure you have enough wind to fill your sail once it’s up. It is NOT a no-air sail.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
That's the same basic premise as the Ronstan endless loop tool, but it looks much more robust. The original Ronstan tool is soft steel and bends easily, and once bent, it won't work properly. It's a way better way to splice..

Nov 8, 2010
That's the same basic premise as the Ronstan endless loop tool, but it looks much more robust. The original Ronstan tool is soft steel and bends easily, and once bent, it won't work properly. It's a way better way to splice..
Yea they are kinda spendy.. but are very well designed. It's one of those things that every now and then I just buy... just because. Treat. Yo. Self. Pretty soon you end up with a pretty kick-ass rigging kit.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Already got one, but the opportunity to go buy a new, bigger tool case. Ooooh. Aaaah. :)

Gavmc

Oct 18, 2014
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Sunrise Cove
I sail an asymmetric as often as possible! Mostly single handing. Your down haul will attach to the ring on your ATN tracker, and I would set just above the pulpit to start. For a cruiser, you really don’t have to worry about the down haul once you get it close. Also, instead of worry about jibing, inside or outside, when ready to jibe, douse the spin, jibe, swing sock around fore stay and redeploy. When dousing, if wind is up, unlatch the tack of the sail from the ATN tracker, this will let it fly free behind the main and zip down the sock. To set, I sail at an angle about 120 degrees off the wind, not dead down. This will protect the sail from too much wind, but allows the sail to fill as you un-douse the sock. Pre set your sheet around a winch and lock it down until ready to adjust.

The ATN video mentioned above is very good, study it!

You will love flying that wonderful sail and pick a huge amount of speed downwind and off wind!

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
:plus: On Flight Line with the ends stripped. We have 5/16" FL sheets on our cruising C0, and I t handles nicely. For the light winds I normally see, I'd probably have been happy with 1/4", but for your bigger boat, 5/16" sounds right. (Don't let it slide over the winch too much - I'm told the polypropylene in the cover can melt with enough friction; @Jackdaw might correct me on that).

A D-splicer would be great. For the cheapskates in the crowd (or while you wait for Santa to bring your D-splicer) a bent loop of soft wire works too. I've been using a random roll I had in the garage for years, for Dyneema down to 7/64". I measured my wire at .035, but I'm pretty sure anything close to that would work fine.

Nov 8, 2010
:plus: On Flight Line with the ends stripped. We have 5/16" FL sheets on our cruising C0, and I t handles nicely. For the light winds I normally see, I'd probably have been happy with 1/4", but for your bigger boat, 5/16" sounds right. (Don't let it slide over the winch too much - I'm told the polypropylene in the cover can melt with enough friction; @Jackdaw might correct me on that).
Indeed, a useful tip for any line on a winch.... use an extra wrap and a bit less tension. This will keep the cover from 'burning' under the stress and friction of too few wraps.

This goes for both trimming, and hauling. Just because the line is not slipping does not mean the line can't be damaged.

Sep 17, 2012
Morgan 383 Fairhaven, NY
Flew an asym on my morgan383. I found going forward with the tack to be beneficial. Had a turning block on a hvy. boom bail the anchor roller. In moderate winds 1 to 1 purchase was sufficient and used the forward cleats to set the line. Running all the lines aft on an infrequently used sail seemed over kill to me. Dousing the sail was easier if the tack was eased, course headed up, and snuffed when the sail was luffing. Fun sail. Like every spinnaker: 5% more speed, 100% more
I had a Doyle sail and they had some tutorials on line.