Universal Diesel dipstick caution

May 6, 2010
1984 Oday 39 79 Milwaukee
I recently ordered a new dipstick for our Universal M50. When comparing the new to the old I first thought I had been sent the wrong part, but closer inspection revealed that the rubber seal at the top of the old dipstick had moved from it's original location, giving a false oil level reading. If you own a Universal Diesel, you may want to check yours!
20190704_104142.jpg

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I recently ordered a new dipstick for our Universal M50. When comparing the new to the old I first thought I had been sent the wrong part, but closer inspection revealed that the rubber seal at the top of the old dipstick had moved from it's original location, giving a false oil level reading. If you own a Universal Diesel, you may want to check yours!View attachment 166852
Thanks for the heads up.

Les

Jan 26, 2019
Catalina 30, mkI 2462 Waukegan, IL
Wow, nice catch.

I bought my C30 last year (Universal 5411). Oil level was a tad high, apparently about as much as your old seal moved.

I changed the oil and filter in the fall, replacing the exact specified amount of oil. After the change, the oil read the exact same "tad" high.

I have read other places to fill this engine using the dipstick and not the specifications because the specifications might be a little too much.

I wonder if your nugget is the reason for the discrepancies noted above.

I'll check next time I'm at the boat! Thanks.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Yes, thanks. I'll check for that next time I'm at the boat.