Switching to 6volt golf cart batteries in a hunter 36

Mar 27, 2016
Catalina 30 Hingham
I've got a bad battery in my new to me 2004 hunter 36 . The batteries that are in there are 2 big D4 . I'm I'm thinking of switching to the 6 volt golf cart batteries wiring them in series. Has anyone done this on there hunter ? Did you need to do anything special beyond just wire them in series?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Many folks have reported that two 6V golf cart batteries fit in the footprint of one big honkin' D. Much better solution for your back! Wire them properly and you're done. Don's right.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I was going to do that on my 356 but as I recall the 6v's were taller than the D4's and didn't fit in the battery box. There's plenty of room for a taller battery box but I kinda remember something about moving the fuses or needing new cables. Nevertheless I think it's a reasonable idea and had I kept the boat I might have done it. I think a lot of forum members have concluded that multiple smaller batteries are easier to deal with. Given how finicky batteries can be it may be better not to put a lot of money in any one battery.

Mar 27, 2016
Catalina 30 Hingham
Thanks everyone . The batteries actually made my decision for me I went down to the boat and my number one battery wasn't holding a charge . So I went ahead it did replaced them with the 6volt golf cart batteries.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Thanks everyone . The batteries actually made my decision for me I went down to the boat and my number one battery wasn't holding a charge . So I went ahead it did replaced them with the 6volt golf cart batteries.
How many 6s do you have?

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I did change to 4-6 volt batteries and put them under the starboard saloon table and did after I saw some one on here add them same place on 356 and all the heavy cable fit and did not need
to add any more cable and also added a start battery.
I have Gen in that same port locker in cockpit and moving batteries starboard help balance out
my boat and also have2-195 watt solar panels off the arch.
I even converted my helm winches to electric and also added Ocean Marine Davits on my 2007 H-36.
Nick

Apr 21, 2014
Hunter 356 Middle River, MD
Went through the same decision making process and and got 4 x 125 ah lifelines that I am adding under the starboard dinette table. Going to leave my 2 105 ah batteries in the lazzerette but this should balance out that port lean. Also have a stainless sound shield enclosed 4.2kw gen so this will help out. Also have 75 amp charger to replace the 40 amp to faster charge the batteries when on the generator.
Jeff

Jun 5, 2010
Hunter 25 Burlington NJ
Will someone please explain to me the most important reasons for using double the number of 6-volt batteries to gain the same amount of volts and A/H? In all my years in this business I have no knowledge of any real benefit.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Great link by Maine Sail.

double the number of 6-volt batteries to gain the same amount of volts and A/H?
Maybe this will help answer your question also.

12 volts is 12 volts, unless you wire them for 24 volts.

A Grp 24 Deep Cycle battery is rated at 75Ah. Two in parallel give you 12V @ 150Ah.
Two 6V GC2 true deep cycle batteries wired in series give you 12V @ 230Ah.

So two batteries vs two batteries give you 80 more Ahs. The two GC2 batteries combined weight is 38 lbs more than the Grp 24s which means more lead. They are built better and will last longer.

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
I did change to 4-6 volt batteries and put them under the starboard saloon table and did after I saw some one on here add them same place on 356 and all the heavy cable fit and did not need
to add any more cable and also added a start battery.
I have Gen in that same port locker in cockpit and moving batteries starboard help balance out
my boat and also have2-195 watt solar panels off the arch.
I even converted my helm winches to electric and also added Ocean Marine Davits on my 2007 H-36.
Nick
Do you have any photos of your saloon table battery install? I'd be interested to see that. My H36 is always listing a bit to port and if/when I need to replace these big honking 4Ds I might consider something similar. Also, how/where did you run the wires from the batteries to the main switch?

Apr 21, 2014
Hunter 356 Middle River, MD
I am in the process of adding a new bank under the starboard dinette seat of my 356 by rerouting one of the battery wires from the battery selection switch (1/2/Both/Off) that ran to the lazarette bank. I wired the existing bank of 2 AGM 31 series batteries in parallel to only require 1 wire and will leave that bank intact in the lazarette and add the 4 new AGM 31XT (125AHr/ 500 total) batteries under the dinette. Hoping the wire will reach but will also check the sizing to make sure it can carry the load safely.
As all batteries will be the same configuration (AGM) the charging set up is easier.
Jeff

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
I've got a bad battery in my new to me 2004 hunter 36 . The batteries that are in there are 2 big D4 . I'm I'm thinking of switching to the 6 volt golf cart batteries wiring them in series. Has anyone done this on there hunter ? Did you need to do anything special beyond just wire them in series?
I highly reccomend going with 6v batteries. Make sure you get agm. They will fit in the space of the large D
These will save your back. Money wise, it works out to the same if you shop around