Some additional feedback !!!

May 2, 2012
Catalina 310 Toronto, Ontario
I have everything setup. I have 3 questions.
1. On the switch below where should it be dialed to when changing or does it matter?

2. This picture shows 2 jumper cables. Is this standard. Mine (ProNautic 1240p) looks just like the picture below, except for the jumpers. I have an ARC setup.

3. Should the Charger/Fuse (MRBF) be connected to the Positive (House) Terminal Bus bar or

the Positive House battery terminal post as in the picture supplied.

Attachments

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
1) unless you have changed the factory setup the switch doesn't matter for charging from shore power charger, just the alternator (goes to the the switch but the ACR will transfer the charge to the other battery. Consider a direct feet to the primary bank as a future upgrade).

2) look what the charger says. Some multibank chargers say to do that for single bank charging (that's what you are setup for, the ACR takes care of the second bank).

3) either. I gave setup a series of fuses using ANL fuse holders and a tinned copper bar. You can see a similar setup in the post from Mainesail on installing the charger. Below is a picture of my setup when I was doing my lithium conversation.

Now before you do anything else go read this article from Mainesail. https://marinehowto.com/installation-orientation-of-flooded-batteries-on-boats/

You need to turn your batteries 90 degrees.

Also I don't see fuses on the ACR connections. It's a smaller wire than your primary connections so it needs a smaller fuse.

Good luckk,

Jesse

Attachments

May 2, 2012
Thanks Jesse for the reply. The ACR leads are fused. I'm using the ProNautic 1240p charger.
* Attached is the diagram I used for reference minus the Victron, Remote and the Battery Monitor Shunt (I think it is your diagram).
* The Alternator wire must be rerouted from the alternator to the Positive House Bank Bus Bar & Fused - Correct? Where does the Alternator wire in the standard Catalina 310 setup go, is it to the house panel, I can't seem to find the route?
* Should the Charger/Fuse (MRBF) be connected to the Positive (House) Terminal Bus bar or the Positive House battery terminal post as in the picture supplied?

Cheers
2 OLD PIRATES

Attachments

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Thanks Jesse for the reply. The ACR leads are fused. I'm using the ProNautic 1240p charger.
* Attached is the diagram I used for reference minus the Victron, Remote and the Battery Monitor Shunt (I think it is your diagram).
I didn't see a diagram attached.

* The Alternator wire must be rerouted from the alternator to the Positive House Bank Bus Bar & Fused - Correct? Where does the Alternator wire in the standard Catalina 310 setup go, is it to the house panel, I can't seem to find the route?
Correct. For the factory alternator 4 AWG would do. But I had to upgrade that to 1/0 AWG when I got a high output 105 amp alternator.

The factory setup is a 10 AWG wire from the starter post to the alternator. That directs the charge back to the 1/2/both/off switch. So it charges the battery that is selected.

* Should the Charger/Fuse (MRBF) be connected to the Positive (House) Terminal Bus bar or the Positive House battery terminal post as in the picture supplied?
Either could work fine. So it's more about what works best on your setup. One thing to consider is some people will have a charging buss and a supply buss so that you could isolate charging if the need arises. Then something like a BatteryProtect could be used to automatically shut down the supply if it gets too low.

May 2, 2012
Well I fired up my charger. Picked the flooded acid and it showed 14.7 volts & 40 amps .......... in a few seconds it jumped up to 15 volts ???. The Trojans 105 plus indicate 14.7. The batteries started to bubble like mad so I shut it off. Anyone have an idea what is causing this?
I checked all 4 of the 6V DC (House) and they all read 6.5Vs. The single 12V DC (Starter) read 13.5Vs.
Cheers
2 Old Pirates