Hissing out of Head

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I had holding take backing up into head so put new joker value in my Sea Era and since than when I dry flush and than add fresh water I get hissing which makes me think it is air.
The holding tank is no longer backing back into head.
Nick

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
And I'm thinkin' you're right, Nick...it IS air. And the reason it's escaping through the toilet is because it can't get out the tank vent. A new joker valve can't fix that.
As I've posted a bunch of times, the two most common locations for a vent blockage are the thru-hull and the other end of the vent line--that end of the hose and the vent fitting on the tank. If you have vent line filter installed, it's also a likely culprit if it's ever gotten wet due to a tank overflow or just heeling--which is why vent filters are a very bad idea on a sailboat. If that is the problem, don't replace it, just get rid of it.

Start with the thru-hull...use a screwdriver blade, ice pick--whatever works. If that doesn't clear it, go to the other end of the vent line. Meanwhile, don't use the toilet again or try to pump out till you have cleared the vent.

Once you have, now would be a very good time to replace the "vent" thru-hull with an open bulkhead thru-hull that'll let you prevent any more vent blockages by sticking hose nozzle up against it and backflushing the vent line every time you wash the boat.
--Peggie

Aug 7, 2018
Catalina 350 Great Sodus Bay, Lake Ontario
Peggy, I am enjoying your book. We have a new to us O'day 34 with little or no work done by the PO . This week I am adding the truhull you suggested. I did find the "chrome original" pugged and cleaned it last fall. PM me if you have a suggestion for a new manual head and want to be PC with manufactures and not post here. Thanks in advance.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Hi David... No need for me to be "PC" (not that I'd ever even consider it!) Vendors are required to be circumspect in their recommendations, but I no longer sell anything, not even my own book except for signed copies at boat shows and rendezvous where I'm invited to give seminars, so I'm free to recommend equipment that's proven to be excellent quality. And when it comes to toilets--manual OR electric--that's Raritan. Their toilets have been consistently top rated by Practical Sailor for decades and have proven to have the fewest problems. Plus Raritan has outstanding tech support AND is one of only two US mfrs who still build everything in the US. Groco is the other one, but they have only two toilets, both manual...the compact HF and the $1500 solid brass Model K.
You'll love the Raritan PH SuperFlush--the current version of their PHII which is been the top rated manual toilet since Raritan introduced it in 1982. Raritan PH SuperFlush It still uses the tried and true PHII pump...the base has been redesigned with a mounting bolt pattern that matches most other manual toilets. Keep it well lubricated, replace the joker valve annually (see "Joker Valve 101" in my book for the reason why), and put a rebuild kit in it every 5-6 years and it'll easily provide 20-25 years of reliable trouble free service. Available with either a compact or "household" size bowl.

What's the make/model/age of the toilet you're replacing?
--Peggie

Aug 7, 2018
Catalina 350 Great Sodus Bay, Lake Ontario
A jabsco twist and lock. The age is unknown but the brochure was printed in 2017. I need something bulletproof to make my wife happy. I ordered the Raritan PH Superflush Toilet w/Soft-Close Lid for $287 with shipping today. Thanks for your help and advice. I bought your book on amazon, you don't see the profit from that?