April Fools megathread

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Back in the 80's there was The Great Debate that began in Chicago as soon as The Tribune Company bought the Cubs from the Wrigleys about whether or not Wrigley Field should have lights for night baseball. Cubs owners (The Tribune Company) wanted lights. The local neighborhood (Wrigleyville) was in full voice resistance. It went on seemingly for the entire decade. But the writing was on the wall and it was going to happen. Of course, the lights eventually were installed in 1988 and the first game with lights was scheduled on August 8, 1988 (8/8/88).

I don't recall if it was April Fool's in 1988 or a year or 2 earlier. In those days, before inter-league play, it was always a big deal for the Cubs- White Sox rivalry to open the season with their last pre-season game, held in Chicago. It just so happened to coincide with April 1.

My favorite radio station of the day, WXRT, had Terri Hemmert in the morning broadcasting that The Tribune Company had pulled a fast-one on the locals and, in secrecy, had erected lights at Wrigley Field! The first game was going to be that evening between the Cubs & Sox! Hundreds of people drove by Wrigley that morning hoping to get a glimpse at the lights (they were not even installed yet)! I remember being tempted as I was driving to work on the Kennedy Expressway, going right past the exit at Addison St.

Another one that they (WXRT) pulled off, in 1980, the Mayor Jane Byrne April Fool Fest was to be held on Navy Pier! The headlining acts included some artists whom were already dead! Hundreds showed up at Navy Pier, which in those days was derelict and padlocked.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I was helping a friend with some indoor plumbing. As he was about to step on the ladder, I put my finger in his back as I pulled the drill trigger and asked,"does this thing work?". I was right behind him to catch him.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
... The Dr's Name?

Dr Sloof L Irpa
I'm trying to make the name into something funny, but I don't get it. It it just a weird name, or does it sound like something else, like the law firm of Duey Cheatem and Howe?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
This just received email message might invigorate the heart.

Tactical and Preparedness Newsletter

In a bold move to Back The Blue, Trump spokesman, John Spartan, announced that a new hybrid-weapon is going to be made available to all federal, state, and local US law enforcement.

Based on the 2260s Phaser used on the TV show “Star Trek,” the pistol form weapon has stun, heat, and kill modes and an effective range of 100 meters.

Dr. Raymond Cocteau said, “This will truly revolutionize law enforcement in the US. Early testing has shown that officer proficiency with the phaser is 8-10 TIMES higher than with traditional pistols because officers enjoy setting the phaser to ‘stun’ or ‘heat’ and practicing at home in addition to training at the range.”

When combined with tactical "3 seashells" training, it provides a huge jump in the ability to seamlessly scale force.

“One of the biggest benefits is the ability to do realistic training in stun mode using pets, children, and spouses as moving targets. Of course, on April Fool’s day, you don’t want to believe everything you read :)

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Are they planning to deliver?
This dredged up the memory of what may have been the funniest thread ever on the old CompuServe Sailing Forum. It was spawned by conversation about potato launchers--a short -lived fad in the '90s: a PVC pipe was the cannon, hairspray was the propellant. Here are the directions for making a simple one:
https://www.doityourself.com/stry/how-to-build-a-potato-cannon
To launch a potato put it in the pipe and ignite it. The resulting explosion launches the spud.

It was a couple of weeks before Thanksgiving that one of us had an inspiration: Go to any popular cruising grounds in the Caribbean and start a dock-to-deck roast turkey delivery service...our business plan was simple: Radio your order to us while you were still a couple of days out...and then send us your coordinates when you were no more than 2 miles out--we guesstimated that would be about the max distance possible without the need for enough fuel (we'd ruled out hairspray as not being powerful enough) to blow up our kitchen and us in it)--and then STAND BY FOR INCOMING GOBBLER! We had visions of flying fowl by the dozen....toyed with the idea of adding sides to the orders, but decided the special handling they'd need to prevent splattering 'em all over customer's boat would cost way more than it would be worth to 'em.

I still think the Dock-to-Deck delivery idea has merit....

--Peggie

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I am guessing there was a bit of rum shared during the discussion.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
This dredged up the memory of what may have been the funniest thread ever on the old CompuServe Sailing Forum. It was spawned by conversation about potato launchers--a short -lived fad in the '90s: a PVC pipe was the cannon, hairspray was the propellant. Here are the directions for making a simple one:
https://www.doityourself.com/stry/how-to-build-a-potato-cannon
To launch a potato put it in the pipe and ignite it. The resulting explosion launches the spud.

It was a couple of weeks before Thanksgiving that one of us had an inspiration: Go to any popular cruising grounds in the Caribbean and start a dock-to-deck roast turkey delivery service...our business plan was simple: Radio your order to us while you were still a couple of days out...and then send us your coordinates when you were no more than 2 miles out--we guesstimated that would be about the max distance possible without the need for enough fuel (we'd ruled out hairspray as not being powerful enough) to blow up our kitchen and us in it)--and then STAND BY FOR INCOMING GOBBLER! We had visions of flying fowl by the dozen....toyed with the idea of adding sides to the orders, but decided the special handling they'd need to prevent splattering 'em all over customer's boat would cost way more than it would be worth to 'em.

I still think the Dock-to-Deck delivery idea has merit....

--Peggie
Short lived? Short lived you say? I think not! Just ask @Meriachee !

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Short lived.
Better not tell Ronnie, having a faster boat is only as good as your ability to gain 60-odd yards, in a hellluva hurry.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Our organization made an announcement this morning, the national techs, my guys, were about to be tasked with delivering Uber eats as part of our service offering. Somebody even did a splashy video, and let’s just say, some of the commentary won’t be referenced in a public forum :). Silly techs. They should know how this date plays out.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
The April Fools I remember best was maybe 15 years ago. The guys that make the cartoons for the comic pages "conspired" to swap personas between characters. It was a riot! The one I remember was Mister Dithers became The Sarge from Beetle Bailey. Dagwood became Beetle. In the last frame, Mr Dithers was stomping all over Dagwood, like the real Sarge does to the real Beetle Bailey. I wish they would do it again- or just repeat those original classics.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
The April Fools I remember best was maybe 15 years ago. The guys that make the cartoons for the comic pages "conspired" to swap personas between characters. It was a riot! The one I remember was Mister Dithers became The Sarge from Beetle Bailey. Dagwood became Beetle. In the last frame, Mr Dithers was stomping all over Dagwood, like the real Sarge does to the real Beetle Bailey. I wish they would do it again- or just repeat those original classics.
I had forgotten that. Thanks for the memory!
https://youtube.com/watch?v=r85bLxaY6_o

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
Back in the 80s I had my office in the basement. I did many modifications to my computer down there. I was up very late March 31st (4/1). I heard my wife upstairs call out to see if I was up. I didnt respond. I heard her get up out of bed and walk across the floor and call from the top of the stairs. It was while she was walking across the floor that I grabbed some wires, laid down on the floor and draped the wires across my chest. She came down the stairs to check on me and I started shaking violently while laying on the floor! Oh was she PISSED... after I got up.