Halyard organizer repair

Nov 21, 2012
Yamaha 33 Port Ludlow, WA
Hi all,

I would like to repair the halyard organizer at the mast base. I'm missing 2 sheaves and their holders as well. Any thoughts on how best to proceed without breaking the bank? Weld it up? Machine some replacements? Perhaps you have a couple of spares rattling around that you'd like to part with?

Thanks,

Mike
mast base organizer small.jpg

Jan 20, 2017
Yamaha 33 Vancouver
Removal, and casting the original parts, shouldn’t be insanely expensive. Alternatively, I have had some success looking for spares in Japan, as Yamaha continued to pump out new sailboats over there for quite some time after they abandoned the North American market. Many of these newer sailboats inherited parts from the older models (cleats, blocks, navigation lights, circuit breakers, etc.). It would take some digging, but you might find your parts over there. Don’t bother with Yamaha, as they will not be able to help you. You’ll have to contact a few boat yards in Japan. As well, I noted that the Russians seemed particularly keen on the older model Yamahas, as there are quite a few of them for sale over there (almost identical to the North American models, but the housework on older ones is almost flush decked in comparison to the North American models). Another potential resource to tap.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Call Guido at Garhauer. Show him the picture. See what magic he comes up with.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Dam! I shouldn't like that barton marine product. I bought 2 Kenyon turning block assemblies and 2 stand up blocks for outrageously high prices. If I had seen this option, I think I would have gone for this instead!

Nov 21, 2012
Thanks, kamp. Your Google-fu is strong. No hits on anything around the Pacific Rim. I chatted via email with PT Foundry today, sounds like they might be able to repair the casting and machine a couple of the sheave holders for a reasonable cost.

Nov 21, 2012
Thanks, Gunni. I'm not sure that I want to transfer the halyard loads from the mast to the deck. The working load is at the upper limit for the Y33 anyway.

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
Putting an eye strap and a new block is not elegant, but would solve it on the cheap, self tapping machine screws in the mast.

Nov 21, 2012
Or a dyneema soft shackle through the remaining hole. With adequate chafe protection of course.

Putting an eye strap and a new block is not elegant, but would solve it on the cheap, self tapping machine screws in the mast.