No-see-ums

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
i'll see you with bitting black flys. and raise you with north channel mosquitos and north woods chiggers will walking the wild beaches.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
SBO is in danger of degenerating to a TGIF-like compendium of trite exchanges where there is nearly nothing new to be learned, IMHO; by some of the recent threads I have read recently.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Jim... Golf Ball - no disturbing the putter...
Get your mind out of the gutter.... This is not bowling.... :biggrin:

So I'll need to know the 2 weeks that you have bugs.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
True noseeums would get right through the fabric on the left. The one on the right looks better.
Obviously you chose not to read the article before your observation.:badbad:

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
I can't believe no one else said Skin So Soft! Everybody uses it for no-see-ums around here. We wouldn't untie from the dock without some.
Skin so Soft worked great wile in Florida. When I moved to Texas, here on the coast the mosquitoes loved it- bathed in it, sadly.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
I can't believe no one else said Skin So Soft! Everybody uses it for no-see-ums around here. We wouldn't untie from the dock without some.
+1, and it's what we Jarheads used, it works, period.

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
I can't believe no one else said Skin So Soft!
That's because Skin So Soft is undesirably perfumey and leaves a oily film on the skin. Might as well use DEET.

OTOH, Listerine dries with no residue and just a slight smell, plus it is more effective and much less expensive than SSS. Also, it is not toxic.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Worked for us
When we lived in Biloxi we had bottles of the stuff in each car and by each door of the house. It works. Those little bastards swarmed as soon as you got outside. You can't see the individuals but you could see a cloud flying towards you. Covering up would do little good as they would bite you right through your t-shirt, they'd also get in your hair and gnaw on your scalp. I've seen studies that say they are more attracted to certain individuals citing blood type and other factors I must have all the attraction factors. Fortunately it was not all year long only when it was at the change of seasons.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
There's a tracker named Tom Brown, trained by an old Indian in the New Jersey pine barrens, he recommends mud. Ever see Predator?
Those little predators can't find you.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
I have luck with DEET (OFF DEEP WOODS) and I also use skin so soft they both work well for me when I'm at my place n Fort Myers Beach. Now can someone help me with the damn green heads here on the Barnegat Bay, DEET works some of the time and SSS not at all.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Growing up, my aunts would put this on our ant and mosquito bites...

It is a 10X concentrate so just a little dab would do the trick.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
That's because Skin So Soft is undesirably perfumey and leaves a oily film on the skin. Might as well use DEET.

OTOH, Listerine dries with no residue and just a slight smell, plus it is more effective and much less expensive than SSS. Also, it is not toxic.
Plus Listerine leaves you and the no-see-ums with minty-fresh breath!

Jan 19, 2010
Jan 19, 2010